Some help with a Sony a300...

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
I've been doing alot of long exposure shots recently, I get a little annoyed with the camera though as if I do a 300 second exposure then it spends at least double that with 'Processing' on the screen and all that I have to do is compose my next shot then smoke cigarettes. I blame the processing for my bad habit. Cigarettes are bad.

Anyway, last night a friend came out with me with his Canon 500d, we went to the trafford centre and he picked up a remote shutter from Jessops. Fast-forward 2 hours and we were out getting long exposure shots.

I gave him some pointers on his first one, about 100 seconds long. He took the shot, released the lock on the shutter and the image appeared on screen STRAIGHT AWAY! :wacky:

What I did notice was that when mine's recording a long exposure it is literally doing just that were as his 'red light' were the memory card is comes on as if it's constantly writing the data to the card? Is this a cool function of the Canon cameras or am I missing a setting somewhere?

It sounds like you have long exposure noise reduction turned on. This will double the length of the exposure time while it re-runs the whole process to remove noise. With an exposure of a couple of seconds it's not a problem of course.

I am glad I noticed this thread.

As i have just tried this, and turning the NR on long exposures works

bear in mind that long exposure nr is there to eliminate hot pixels in the output image (so don't complain if you get some with it turned off ;)).

Back