Some Kung Fu photos

Name
Jez
Edit My Images
No
Hi, My soon to be father-in-law asked if I could take a few photos at his master's Kung Fu class, obviously I said yes, I'm please with how these 4 turned out so I thought I'd share them.

The room is only small so picking places to stand and framing the shots was particularly difficult but they went down well none the less :)

For those interested, the Chinese writing (I've been told) translates as "Grand Ultimate Fist"

Master Gordon Hooke by Jez Bradshaw Photography, on Flickr

Neil by Jez Bradshaw Photography, on Flickr

choke throw by Jez Bradshaw Photography, on Flickr

Mono fishtail block by Jez Bradshaw Photography, on Flickr

The person on the right in the first one has a great pose and is only spoilt by the background and the guy looking on, I would reshoot that with the guy on his own and with a plain background if possible.Likewise number two again a great pose showing consentration. Number four is fantastic a great shot one to be proud of.
Just as thought reshooting the first couple in a woodland or riverside setting might work well.

The person on the right in the first one has a great pose and is only spoilt by the background and the guy looking on, I would reshoot that with the guy on his own and with a plain background if possible.Likewise number two again a great pose showing consentration. Number four is fantastic a great shot one to be proud of.
Just as thought reshooting the first couple in a woodland or riverside setting might work well.
Cheers dude, that's really helpful :) There wasn't a lot I could do about the backgrounds but there is talk about the class going up to Bradgate Park in Leicester to train one day in the summer so that should make up for the poor backgrounds :LOL:

I don't have experience in photography but I can judge a good pose or sight for photo, I also have a little interest of photography but I am not fully confident(I can do or not) so please tell me what I should do. Should I start without thinking......?
Everyone has to start somewhere, I'd suggest picking a camera up and just having a go. You'll only learn from your mistakes so just go for it (y)

The third photo works the best as you can actually see something happening along the lines of what would happen in a class. The first one also achieves that, albeit with a pretty distracting background. The other two are "nice" photos but don't seem to portray a martial arts class.

On a side note, the Chinese characters (at least the first three, I cannot recognise the last one) read "tai ji quan" or "tai chi chuan" as it is more commonly known. I must admit, this style of kung fu looks nothing like the tai chi chuan most of us may be familiar with!

interesting pose/action from the lhs guy. rhs is appraising (I guess) technique?
If you have some pp skill and have used a mask, I'd give it a go on replacing the background on this one. Perhaps a cartoon landscape or grass and mountains in the background...

Another pose :) nice!
Whats the blur bottom rhs? Someone in the way?

doesn't do anything for me. Works in the set. Consider triptych (before this and just after) picture? Would show move/action more then.

liking the bnw conversion and the details/focus :)

Congrats on the shots!

Back