Some More Aviemore Ospreys

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
A successful trip up to Aviemore gave us one glorious mornings light and these are just a few of what turned out to be a great day.

All taken with 1DX and 300 f2.8 MkII

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Another fine set indeed :)

Thanks for the positive comments. After 3 years of visiting I finally got the light which makes so much difference. Ended up with approx 75 keepers from the 3 hour session which is way more than I've ever managed before.

First time I've used the 1DX on a challenging subject like these and when paired with the 300 f2.8 MkII (which I hired from Lenses for Hire and thoroughly recommend) is a terrific combination. It was reeling off sequences of 12-14 images perfectly in focus.

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive comments. After 3 years of visiting I finally got the light which makes so much difference. Ended up with approx 75 keepers from the 3 hour session which is way more than I've ever managed before.

It's that light, stunning.
I've been to Rothie a few times, taken some good shots, but these are great - still there's always next year!!!

cheers, cw

A cracking set, no doubt. 1, 3 and 5 all stand out for me, the first with the beautiful underside angle and the trailing water, the intense stare of the third, and the timing and wing position in the last

Cheers guys. 2,3,4&5 are all pretty low ISO but 1 is taken at ISO 6400 and has printed at A3 very well.

Absolutely stunning images especially numbers 2 ,5 great position of bird showing detail in the wings and the sublime power, balance of this wonderful bird.
You timed your visit very well and made the best of the light indeed..

Wow there amazing....I need to get out more and try action shots like this!

Stunners Gaz,
Good to see you get some great images after the time spent over the last few years, it has been another great year for the Ospreys and the young birds are now fishing really well so they are getting a great start in life.
Really well done Gaz.
Gordon.

Did you play about the the case setting Gaz..?

Hi Jason

I used case 4 with the expanded AF point that forms a cross. I didn't change any of the parameters.

I found that it picked the bird up very quickly and as long as you stayed on the bird it was reeling off in focus sequences.

Hi Jason

I used case 4 with the expanded AF point that forms a cross. I didn't change any of the parameters.

I found that it picked the bird up very quickly and as long as you stayed on the bird it was reeling off in focus sequences.

Interesting, I was Photographing a very similar subject matter yesterday, and I was using case 6 and i got a few missed focus, but I'm wondering if its me..!!

I've tried case 6 and find that it works best if the background is relatively uncluttered. With a busy background I've not had a good consistency. Have you tried if with the face and colour recognition on and off?

I tend to give the AF half a second to lock on and then it just seems to track very well. I tend to only use single point, expanded cross and the 9 point.

Back