Critique Some recent DH mountain bike photos.

Dave,

some lovely colours coming through there...good use of the OC flash - i know how dark the rock garden was in the shadows...

For the rock garden shots, i would have zoomed out to get more of the context of where the rider is going and esp on #2 to not have the rider so central...

on a general note i would say they're probably a tad over exposed, so I would meter on the sky and then drop the aperture and put the power on the flash up to get the depth of blue...

See you at GP2 next month...?

JB

Cheers JB

I noticed on yours that you have the lovely blue in the sky really showing well so something to work on. I started a bit wider on the rock garden but wanted to be quite close to the rider showing the concentration need for that section but leaves little room for composition. Flash vs ambient i'm really happy with on those ones.

The berm ones i had a play with my new 85mm F1.8 and i must say i'm loving the colours and DoF with this though i didn't buy it for the bike photos.

The drop photos are little bit boring photography wise but they have certainly sold well since Sunday!!

Should be at GP2, first time at Avery farm so should be good, lets hope for the same weather as Sunday!!

Last edited:
I don't normally visit this section however I'm glad I did. Fantastic shots especially number one

Thanks very much Rory. I think the first couple are some of the best I've taken so far so it's nice to hear that others like them.

Dave,

Nice pic's that 85mm has done a great job.

I agree with JB that the rock garden was a dark and dingy place but the flash you used just make the riders look great... next time bring more batteries !!!!
over all great shots m8 and it was a lovely day and vibe.

see you at the next one.

Steve

Dave,

Nice pic's that 85mm has done a great job.

I agree with JB that the rock garden was a dark and dingy place but the flash you used just make the riders look great... next time bring more batteries !!!!
over all great shots m8 and it was a lovely day and vibe.

see you at the next one.

Steve

Cheers Steve,

More batteries on order!! Brilliant day all round and i think my berm and rock garden shots are the best i've taken so far. I don't want to get back into dark dingy woods now!!

Crazy week with the decision to start using roots and rain has been a very good one that's for sure!

Will you be at GP2 as well Steve?

C ya.

That was riding - I was a slightly sponsored BMX rider as a kid. Doubt I could do it now :)

I raced national level DH back in the mid to late 90's and although i still ride the course's these day's scare me somewhat!!:eek:

Back