some recent shots

You certainly did John, excellent set of images, so crisp and sharp.

Could i ask what lens you used for these?

Hi John,

some cracking shots there mate. I applaud you on those.

Questions though (as I'm a bit new to the miniature world):

#1 What is going on with those front legs, they look like they are at a funny angle? And I assume they are eggs we can see in the abdomen? Cool!!!

#2 What is it!?!?!

Cheers,

Gary

You certainly did John, excellent set of images, so crisp and sharp.

Thank you :)

Could i ask what lens you used for these?

I used a Nikon 105mm macro lens with extension tubes

Hi John,

some cracking shots there mate. I applaud you on those.

Questions though (as I'm a bit new to the miniature world):

#1 What is going on with those front legs, they look like they are at a funny angle? And I assume they are eggs we can see in the abdomen? Cool!!!

#2 What is it!?!?!

Cheers,

Gary

Thanks Gary, The legs are up in the air because she was cleaning her eyes and yes they are eggs we can see. It is a small hoverfly, not sure which one though.

What sort of extension tubes did you use. I have the 105mm sigma, so should be able to get near to your work if i knew what tubes to use. I don't know alot about them.

fly with eggs is simply amazing never seen anything like that close up

What sort of extension tubes did you use. I have the 105mm sigma, so should be able to get near to your work if i knew what tubes to use. I don't know alot about them.

Hi, I use kenko extension tubes.

fly with eggs is simply amazing never seen anything like that close up

Thank you John, one last question, did you use a flash / ring flash of any kind?

Daft question..what are extension tubes doing?

They magnife the subject.

Lovely set John -well composed and great lighting
Cheers Paul :)

Nice work John some really interesting images! Love the moth:)

Thanks Rhod ;)

:O stunning

Daft question..what are extension tubes doing?

Look here Stephen ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_tube

Thank you John, one last question, did you use a flash / ring flash of any kind?

Here is the setup used

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j0hnc/7576400010/in/photostream

self shot s by John Chorley, on Flickr

Thanks for all your help it is much appreciated.

stunning, superb focus john,but can i ask what you use to extend the flash from your camera shoe to get that angle please

stunning, superb focus john,but can i ask what you use to extend the flash from your camera shoe to get that angle please

Thank you, i use an L shaped bracket with 2 small ball heads, one attached to the other. This allows me to use the flash at different angles. I have fixed some pipe lagging to the bracket which makes a good grip. This photo shows me using camera one handed because i was holding my phone camera at arms length to take the shot :D

Thank you, i use an L shaped bracket with 2 small ball heads, one attached to the other. This allows me to use the flash at different angles. I have fixed some pipe lagging to the bracket which makes a good grip. This photo shows me using camera one handed because i was holding my phone camera at arms length to take the shot :D

any chance of a close up ,and where do yo buy the bits please thanks again

Back