Some Self Portraits

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Just as you are starting with portraits, I'm starting with portrait critique :) so feel free to disagree with me :D

I think #1 works well, but in generally the light seems a little too clinically bright and uniform to be paired with with 'dramatic posing' - particularly #3

in 5+6 I think the shadow from the glasses needs work, it cuts across the eye and droops down the cheek - the shadow looks a lot better in #4
in 6+7 it looks like you've created a line of shadow diagonally down the face, I notice it - I'm not sure if that's necessarily a bad thing yet.

Cheers Dan. Was having issues with the flashes going off properly and getting anything decent at the time. So I need to work on that. It was working superb but focus was out went to eat came back and they had forgotten what I told them.

Probably more clinical because I did some pp but also I'm wearing white and I have a shaved head it makes me look clinical I think compared to my others before.
I'm using a snoot on the left so maybe I'll change that down a little so it's not so bright or point it from behind to get a halo.

Agree about the glasses pain in the butt to get a decent photo with them.
I quite like the shadow light as much as I got it to work I haven't changed it at this point just my pose and moved forward an inch changes the game. So hard to judge when your shooting yourself checking the camera after every shot

#1 - bit bland with a lack of expression, stance isn't really complimenting you - adjusting that would help (arms folded, hands on hips etc...)

#2 - as above but even more bland :LOL: Lighting could also be a bit more even with some front facing light to help with your eye shadows ;)

#3 - the killer expression suits this one but your lighting is a bit off It's too strong where it shouldn't be which is made worse as it seems you've brought down the EV / whites in post? Personally, I'd have something very contrasty, maybe a light behind you and to the right and then perhaps one to your left hand side and in front.

#4 - looks like you're relieving/satisfying yourself... not really working for me.

#5 - Again I'd go with a bit more contrasty lighting for the post but... fingers... chopped off... schoolboy error.

#6 - As critiqued for #1. Needs a lot more spice.

#7 - At least your passport photo will pass ;)

#8 - WB is too cool, it's not really for me but technically it is the best of the lot.

General pointers - adjust your lighting for the post. Don't chop off fingers. Get some expressions in there or at least light the shot for having no expression ;)

Thanks for the feedback Phil all very helpful. Will see what i can do to improve on them and work some stuff out to see how things go. But i appreciate the feedback and honesty

they are fun but seem to be all about a white T shirt
out of them all i guess you are the one in no 1
the turn of the head..cool!
i think the lighting is too...studio

I love my white tshirt its my signature..... I'm trying to get on the Persil adverts for those of you old enough to remember.

I wanted them to look studio as im playing around at the moment. Trying to get the lights to work and do what i want them to do then look at bringing them down etc. On a black background for me i like the high light clincal studio look. Trying to find my feet and my style.
But i appreciate all the feedback its always good to get some

Ok here we go for round two...

#9 - Rule of thirds would apply to this shot. Simple crop, put her more to the right with less head room. The Quazymodo hunched over look isn't doing it for me. Would work better if a more elegant post was used (i.e shoulders back).

#10 - Generally, you want to be on one side of the frame, looking towards the other side. I feel that rule applies to this shot. Another easy fix in post - just put it on a black background.

#11 - not bad, technically. Whilst I find it a bit strange and distracting that a child is trying to open a ketchup (?) sachet with her mouth, others may disagree and find it acceptable in the shot.

#12 - as above, the ketchup would be a good prop if it was smothered all around her face, then it would have some comedy value. As it is, for me at least is just a kid holding some ketchup. And you've cropped the bloody hand!

Generally, you want light clothing on a dark background or look at adding in hair lights to separate the dark clothing if that's what you have your heart set on.

Some easy fixes and some ideas to work on for you ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Joe

The one of my wife and myself were just extras and my daughter is a sod she will only pose for a couple then gets annoyed! Will work on the suggestions and think more on the poses. Trying to master the lighting first then work on people doing what they are told

With tricky kids, a tripod and remote shutter are a must. You might need to resort to just getting the shot on time with their pose and just crop to frame later.
I was initially setting it up to take some more of me then she woke up and wanted her photo so I changed the lights then she just became hell lol

Back