Some Views from Latrigg, Lake District

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
For the past 6 months I've been mainly shooting film for my landscape shots, just because I can really. But on Saturday I went to the Lakes with 'er indoors and decided to just take the D7100 as I didn't want to be spending hours over each shot. Anyway, glad I did, the weather was perfect and the little snow on the tops added some drama.

All shot on a Nikon D7100 and Nikon 24-85mm f2.8-4 lens. No pixels were harmed in the making of these images.:D

Whinlatter
by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Derwent-Water

Latrigg-Pano4

And lastly a little experiment in light and shade

Derwent-Water3-b&w

Thanks for looking and any comments, critique or general tomfoolery is most welcome.

Andy

Cracking set, I really like these (particularly the colour ones).

My only crit would be to consider cropping just below the blown highlights in the second photo, they're a little distracting and I feel the composition is actually stronger with less sky anyway.

Thanks Tom, I shall give it a try.

Ady

:tumbleweed: :D

A great set. I think the last is best, the rays of light and the hills showing through them is stunning.

Thanks Rich & Mark. I wasn't sure about the last one, thought I may have gone too far but it's growing on me.

I like the first two, but I also agree about the cropping of the second one......and I'm not sure on the last one, I think I'd crop a bit of the sky off that as well

Thanks Lee, I agree and No 2 definitely works in a letterbox format better than the original. The last one was a bit of an experiment and I think it could stand to lose a bit of both top and bottom.

Particularly think 2 & 4 are great shots nice and dramatic lighting for sure.

Thank you Nick, Peter and Thomas, your words are appreciated.

I have to admit that I find the phrase 'blown highlights' a bit confusing. I understand its meaning and that on some occasions detail can be lost in over exposed areas but on a landscape with lots of clouds and bright sunshine those 'blown highlights' are basically what the scene looked like, there was no detail, just white clouds lit by the Sun. I agree that on the second shot cropping out the top part of the image improves it but as for the others, well, I think that it is an accurate depiction of what my eye saw at the time. (y)

Cheers

Andy

Fabulous stuff. My only gripe would be that you didn't use and film :LOL:

The first shot is a real winner, it looks like you could have been in the Rockies. All of them have a great light to them, and the 'compressed nature' of the view (did you use a longer lens?) has worked perfectly.

Thank you Nick, I used a 24-85mm lens.

Like the Derwent water shot, brings back memories, have stayed there many a time with the wife before the kids...."Lodore", was a traditional family ran hotel until the big boys got hold....haven't been for years...at the back of the hotel are "lodore falls"...mmm......could be a photo opportunity here I might be missing....

The second one stands out for me - you've caught the light rays coming through the clouds perfectly. As others have said it would benefit from a a bit of the sky cropping out, as your eye is drawn up to the left, rather than following the light down to the water.

Thank you Marcus and Mark.

Marcus, definitely worth a revisit, it does get busy but a little effort gets you away from the crowds.

Back