Sony 50mm f1.8 SAM vs Minolta 50mm f1.7

i dont know anything about the sony lens, but i have the minolta for my sony a100 and its fav little lens! nice and sharp images. Got mine for £90 on ebay. Its barely off my camera!

The Sony is only for crop cameras, which I think makes it poor value compared to the (exellent) Minolta f/1.7

I paid £60 for my Minolta 50mm on here, and its just a super little lens.

Just curious Andy, but why do you say it's only for cropped sensor cameras? It says it's optimised for them but surely it could still be used on full frame?

Just curious Andy, but why do you say it's only for cropped sensor cameras? It says it's optimised for them but surely it could still be used on full frame?

Doesn't DT lens mean its for cropped cameras?

Or does DT mean something different to what I think?

Doesn't DT lens mean its for cropped cameras?

Or does DT mean something different to what I think?

I'm pretty sure DT means that the lenses are specifically for digital cameras.

I think its just for crop:

"And now we move to the more interesting new Sony lenses, starting with the first of two "digital" primes, the 50mm f1.8 SAM DT (pre-order). This, like all four of today's lenses, it is intended for APS-C DSLRs, "

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2009/05/new-sony-50mm-f18-sam-dt-lens-goes-for-just-150.html

Ah, not seen that bit before. Having said that, just because it's intended for crop sensors may not necessarily mean that it can't be used on full frame. Maybe you could buy one and test it for us? :D

Ah, not seen that bit before. Having said that, just because it's intended for crop sensors may not necessarily mean that it can't be used on full frame. Maybe you could buy one and test it for us? :D

I suspect it'll worth just fine on my A900 in DT (crop) mode ;)

Not interested in APS-C primes, the new Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX is very disappointing compared to its 35/2 full frame counter-part.

I suspect it'll worth just fine on my A900 in DT (crop) mode ;)

Not interested in APS-C primes, the new Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX is very disappointing compared to its 35/2 full frame counter-part.

That's fair enough. I am starting to wonder if Sony are concentrating too much on the entry level/crop sensor market at the moment. If they seriously want to challenge the Nikon/Canon stranglehold I really do think they need to look more towards the pro end. I think they've already proven they cam compete at the lower end. I'm very happy with my A700s at the moment but I would like to think there will be room to grow in the future.

and all the above means? crop?

The Sony is only for crop cameras, which I think makes it poor value compared to the (exellent) Minolta f/1.7

I paid £60 for my Minolta 50mm on here, and its just a super little lens.

dibs if you sell it LOL

it's already been done - it does work on FF but there is some vignetting.

it's already been done - it does work on FF but there is some vignetting.

I thought the 50mm f/1.7 was excellent on the A900, from around f/2.0 to f/2.2 the IQ was excellent.

Can't really see the point in the newer lenses on FF...

of course they are really meant for the APS-C cameras but that doesn't mean that they can't/won't work on FF too.
Sony obviously would rather that if people want a 50 f1.7/1.8 that they supply it rather than s/h from eBay etc. plus the supply of s/h 50/1.7s is finite.
You may only have paid £60 (& I sold mine for about that 9 months ago) but the going rate is now ~£120 ... very close to what a new 50/1.8SAM retails at.

anyone got any sample pics from:
Sony DT 50mm f1.8 SAM Lens

The new sony one (the one I sold to Chrism) has a switch on the lens to select auto/manual, this overrides (i think) the on body one, don't know if this would be an issue for you though.

there's at least 1 post on DPReview in the Sony DSLR section with some pics.

bump: anyone have any experience of the two

thinking one or the other for baby/family portraits, in hope it would give better IQ and easier photography shoots for a novice compared to using my tamron 28-75 f2.8, or shall i just save the money and stick to my tamron?

Back