Sony A200 sensor cleaning

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a couple of considerable pieces of dust on my sensor at the moment and I'm unsure of how to remove them without damaging anything. They are really annoying me and I'm not sure what to do. I've tried using the inbuilt sensor cleaning thing which shakes the sensor but to no avail. I have isopropyl alcohol. Would it be ok to use cotton buds with this to clean the sensor or will it damage something? Also, do I use that cleaning mode to access the sensor? And last but not least, where should I carry out the cleaning process. None of the rooms in my house are particuarly dust free, I'd guess the kitchen would be the least dusty so I assume this is a good place to do it? If isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds are no good, then what should I use? Anything I should buy?

Please help! Here is a picture of the spots/grime. Reckon they're dust or something else?

DSC04084.jpg

REALLY annoying!

for persistent dustspots on the sensor it will cost you ~£30 to get it done professionally (Calumet etc.) which is a lot cheaper than a new sensor if you damage it ...
Probably cheaper than buying much of the stuff to have a go yourself.

Don't forget though, it's not the sensor itself that you are cleaning, it's the protective cover, although yes, if you damage or scratch that then it's bad news. Although I have cleaned mine many times with no problems on my A700 and before that on the A100. Some dust spots are a pain to shift and some may not shift at all. You then decide if you can live with that and do a little cloning now and then - or take further action.

30 quid :eek:! I'm not paying that. Especially as I'll probably have some more in a few months! I want to learn to clean it myself because I can't pay 30 quid every time I get a persistant spot of dust. Is it ok to use cotton buds then or is there something else I should use?

you shouldn't get persistent spots very often though - I've had my A700 for over 18 months, taken tens of thousands of shots & it's only now that I'm thinking of getting it professionally cleaned - normally I just use a rocket blower.
I wouldn't use cotton buds myself but a very fine brush if I was going down that route.

Thing is, I've had my camera about 3-4 months now and taken about 5000 odd shots and I've already got 2 or 3 persistant spots which are easily visible so I don't want to get it professionally cleaned and find that in another 3 months I have some more spots and I've wasted 30 quid. By the way, got a link to a very fine brush? I'm not sure what to look for :) Cheers (y)

Back