Sony A390 vs Sony A700

Name
Max
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I have the A390 but may want to upgrade to something.

Is the A700 better and if so what makes it better?

Please help.

If not the A700 then is anybody selling anything in the Sony range at the moment?

Thank you

Max

The A700 is weather sealed but it is getting a bit old now. I'd look at the a580 if you can find one. Otherwise the new SLTs are ok. A35 and A77. Older A55 isn't so good with the older EVF.

What does the a390 not do that you wish it did?

srichards said:
The A700 is weather sealed but it is getting a bit old now. I'd look at the a580 if you can find one. Otherwise the new SLTs are ok. A35 and A77. Older A55 isn't so good with the older EVF.

What does the a390 not do that you wish it did?

The 35 has the same EVF as the 55.

To the OP, any of the newer bodies will give you better high ISO noise performance, but the a580 is about the best of the aps-c cams in this respect.

The a700 is a great cam for many reasons but the newer 16 and 24mp sensors perform better, with or without the SLT mirror in the way.

Last edited:
It's a tough one to answer, i think it's about the same as a D300 for iso performance and in some ways prefer mine to the A900 for shooting at iso 800 and above (although ths depends largely on the final output type and size). The 16mp sensor is better but not massively, maybe half to 1 stop in the a580 (i tried a d7000 for a while which has the same sensor).

Better results from going to fast primes, personally i'd buy the a700 and a couple of primes (50/1.4 maybe)....

Also some people are less bothered by noise, i can happily get an A3 print from the A700 at iso1600 if i shoot in raw and do nose reduction in lightroom, iso3200 looks great as black and white images at A3.

It's a tough one to answer, i think it's about the same as a D300 for iso performance and in some ways prefer mine to the A900 for shooting at iso 800 and above (although ths depends largely on the final output type and size). The 16mp sensor is better but not massively, maybe half to 1 stop in the a580 (i tried a d7000 for a while which has the same sensor).

Better results from going to fast primes, personally i'd buy the a700 and a couple of primes (50/1.4 maybe)....

I already own the 1.4, what is better about the a700 than the A390?

Just trying to gauge how much of an improvement it is.

Thanks for your reply's

Max

Not sure about IQ (never tried an A390) but the viewfinder and control system is a huge step up in ease of use, also the build quality. The A700 is a great cam, focuses well and has a lot of external controls, also a decent size buffer to allow long bursts if needed.

£375 wasn't such a great price for a used a700, IMO. Seen quite a few around for £300-350 recently.

my wifes using the @580 for weddings and its realy good in low light upto 3600iso with a F2.8 lens (y)

Out of interest what did you decide?

I looked at one a while ago, seems like a nice cam, enjoy the new toy!

Back