Sony a77 and Sigma lens clanger?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I would appreciate some guidance please, i have an A77 and have just bought a Sigma 120-400 os hsm lens, the auto focus just wont lock onto anything at any distance.
I know in the past there were compatibility problems, before i made the purchase i checked it out with the retailer, the lens box states the compatibility is fine.
Ive tried every combination on camera settings to get something to work without sucess.
Anybody suffered similar problems or have a solution?
I have sent the lens back to check if anything is wrong with it also contacted Sigma technical for advice, they suspect a sensor or motor problem.

I still thnk its me and may have dropped a clanger.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sigma and SLTS are a bit incompatible. Sigma can usually re-chip the lens to be ok though. For some lenses it is entirely free. Others they charge for.

If the retailer says it is SLT compatible then I'd wonder whether that lens was duff, especially if all your other lens work fine with the A77. If it is a brand new lens then it should be fine with SLTs. Older ones are more problematic.

Thanks for that, the lens is brand new, hopefully it can be re chipped or repaired.

I had the same problem with my Pentax mount Sigma 50-500mm OS. The first one I had was very hit and miss when focusing on anything distant ... sometimes it would but most often it just refused to lock. I sent it back and the second one was much the same so I presumed it was just my technique (even though I had been using the older non OS version for years). The lens wasn't used for a couple of months and then when I got it out again it refused to do anything at all.

It went back to Sigma and they fitted a new AF module and it has been fine since.

double check you dont have it on continous autofocus ?
otherwise its likely to be sigma qc issue :(

Thanks for the reply, i had tried it on every AF option before sending it back, that cost £40 by the way, by the time its travelled around England i might as well have got the Sony Lens !!!

Back