Sony A850 RRP

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Anyone have an accurate suggestion of what the price of the Sony A850 is going to be?:shrug:

dpreview has it at $2000, I'd probably replace the $ with a £.

I think £1999 is actually about right.

Based on our trade price i would now expect to see a retail price of £1749 quite soon and if the kits are splittable then £1650 to £1599.

I know that this is not good considering a large retailer is selling the A900 at £1699 but this is actaully below my cost price.

Stuart

Mind you the Jessops price is a 28-75mm kit. So the body`ll be a bit cheaper.

you can get an A900 for £1600 atm - from what digitaldepot was saying that's likely to be cheaper at least until the stock of pre-price increase A900s runs out & the A850 has been out long enough for the usual slide from RRP to have ocurred (my guess would be early 2010).

I think sooner than 2010.

If people buy stock of the A850 and its not selling then it will come down.

The trade price of the new lens when bundled with the kit is a lot less so people will split the kits sell the lenses off higher and reduce the price of the body.

Based on the current A900 trade price it should be selling for £1999!!! not £1600.

Stuart

Jacobs have A850 body preorder c/w "free" 1x Lowepro Slingshot 200AW and 1x Sandisk CF 16Gb Extreme lll Card for £1899.

Thats about right. They throw in all the freebies to keep the price at SRP.

I can sell them cheaper without all the bits but why would you buy an A850 when the 900 cheaper?

We will definately be stocking the A550. Not sure about this one just yet.

Stuart

If they are going to be that much i will go Nikon.

Do Sony think people are going to pay the same price as the A900 is selling for a lesser spec model?

WHy would anyone sacrifice that better viewfinder for no less outlay?

I can get a Sony A900 and buy a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens and have it for under £2k

Why would i want to pay £2350 for it at jessops and have a less model camera?

Me thinks Sony has dropped a big bo**ock if they price it at that.

This price increase happened at the beginning of May so they must have thought that in 3 months all the stock would of gone and the camera up to the new price. The only way we can get it below the price of the A900 is to split kits.

MAybe if everyone rushes out to buy all the A900 stock at the lower price and clears all the stock up ;)

Stuart

I can get a Sony A900 and buy a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens and have it for under £2k
not at RRP though but at "street" prices.

Why would i want to pay £2350 for it at jessops and have a less model camera?
that's Jessops selling at RRP so you aren't comparing like for like.

You do realise that the equivalent 24Mp Nikon is £5K?
Yes, it's better but it's not 3x better ...

The price is mental - the A900 is available for £1699 and below readily from 3 or 4 retailers.

Its a cut down model, but more expensive.. huh??!

The price is mental - the A900 is available for £1699 and below readily from 3 or 4 retailers.

Its a cut down model, but more expensive.. huh??!

RGB Tech have the a900 for £1599 LOL

But as DD stated, it's the old (pre Yen:UKP price rises) stock that is making the a850 look rather odd.

Maybe dealers/Sony will either or:

a) tell dealers to sell their existing a900 stock cheaply so that the new a900 price can come into effect.

b) reduce the cost of the a850 so that it's actually cheaper than the a900.

Yes it's very funny..... £2000 or an a850 or £1600 for an a900.

FYI, in the USA: a900: $3000 & a850: $2000

Back