Sony flash

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Calling all sony users can you help me !!! i need to find out which flash to buy well photography that needs flask lo isstead of relying on built in one i have a 580 and a700 various minolta af sony, tokina, and tamrom lens
thanks im open to other makes !!

Besides Sony, there is the Minolta 5600 HS if you can find a used one in exc. condition. Also Metz, Sigma & Nissin make models that work with Sony. The Yongnuo quoted above will only work manually or as a slave and needs an adapter for the hotshoe.

Yes they are manual... makes you learn and think about what you're doing with the flash. I wasn't a big user of flash but when I did I never had any issues. All depends how much the OP wants to spend. All too easy just to say get a couple of the sony 58's or 60's but if they're on a budget like I was then a basic flash from the likes on Yongnuo for around £35 is a great piece of kit.

Yes they are manual... makes you learn and think about what you're doing with the flash. I wasn't a big user of flash but when I did I never had any issues. All depends how much the OP wants to spend. All too easy just to say get a couple of the sony 58's or 60's but if they're on a budget like I was then a basic flash from the likes on Yongnuo for around £35 is a great piece of kit.

Sorry, must have been a crossed wire, I thought your post was in answer to Myrdhinn where he commented about only working manually or as a slave.

The Yongnuo quoted above will only work manually or as a slave and needs an adapter for the hotshoe.

Not if you get the sony mount version... :rolleyes:

Thanks guys loads of options their , Im New to flash work but would like to learn quick , budjet is tight so I might like the yongnuo one got a bit confused as to weather it's manual or not , am I right in thinking that the flash will auto with the sceane giveen or will I have to work it out ?

Last edited:
Thanks guys loads of options their , Im New to flash work but would like to learn quick , budjet is tight so I might like the yongnuo one got a bit confused as to weather it's manual or not , am I right in thinking that the flash will auto with the sceane giveen or will I have to work it out ?

The Yongnuo mentioned is totally "dumb". It flashes x amount of light and you would have to work out exposures, it's ok for a studio type of use but pretty useless (IMO) for on the fly type walk around use of flash.

If budget is tight, look for a dedicated flash from companies like Sigma, Nissin or Metz.

Great stuff it's not for studio stuff so thanks for the heads up. am I looking for anything specific ? Like auto or something like than lol

Last edited:
Hi Debrito

If you go for a Minolta flash make sure it a "d" eg. Minolta 5600 HS D, Sigma are said to be a bit iffy, heard good things about Nissin, I have a Sony HVL-42AM, HVL56AM and Metz 48AF 1, All work great on my a 700, you can also trigger the flash off camera from the popup flash.

Pete

Hi Debrito

If you go for a Minolta flash make sure it a "d" eg. Minolta 5600 HS D, Sigma are said to be a bit iffy, heard good things about Nissin, I have a Sony HVL-42AM, HVL56AM and Metz 48AF 1, All work great on my a 700, you can also trigger the flash off camera from the popup flash.

Pete
Oh that sound s like a good idea , does that work on a a580. Nissin which modelshould I go for

Lol I spent hours on their lol don't make no sense to me all the jargon I just get lost lol

Oh that sound s like a good idea , does that work on a a580. Nissin which modelshould I go for
if it works on the a700 it will work on the a580, model to go for, any one you can afford but must be for Sony.
Pete

Depends what you can afford? Nissin aren't cheap but still cheaper than the Sony equivalents. Nissin Di622 or Di866, preferably the Mark II versions if you can swing it. Metz are a very close second and have cheaper less powerful models.

The cheapest option I can think of is the Jessops 360-AFD (in Sony mount), on the assumption that you are after a flash that will set it's power automatically from the camera.

While it's a big step up from the pop up flash, it is still rather basic as flashguns go - but this si certainly an area in which you get what you pay for.

Do you have an idea of budget for this?

Personally I have a Minolta 3600 HS(d), a Sony 56AM and a Youngnu 560-II, of the three, it's the Sony I'd recommend as it's the most powerful and flexible, but they are almost 3x the cost of the others.

Yeah that's the thing cost if I save on flash I can get a better zoom lens (300) ish 100 for a flash not much more I have a cobra 44 but I can't get any control

For £100 you should be able to get a used Sony HVL-F42AM Flash - mine was £89 from Fforbes with a 6 month warranty (now expired) but flash is still going strong. I also have the Jessops 360 Flash (cost me £25 on ebay) and if you are on a tight budget it does the job okay. The Sony one is better built, more powerful and has HSS (high speed sync) but both are fine. Budget for some decent rechargeable aa batteries too (Eneloops or similar). Had a quick Google and there is also a Minolta 3600 HSD for £69 here. There is a Metz 54 MZ-3 Sony fit here for £75 (I am not familiar with that model though). The only used HVL-F42AM I can find are both £150 which seems a bit steep - maybe try ebay?

A couple of useful Sony flash guides:

http://kurtmunger.com/flashes_etcid287.html

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2007/06/12/flash-choices-for-the-alpha-dslrs/

just while we on about Sony and stuff do any of you have any g lens if what ?? and more importantly are you selling

Back