sony nex 5 or panasonic gf1 or fuji hs20 exr

I had a good play with the nx5 and couldn't get on with the menu. Every thing had to be changed with the touch screen. This was a early model and I think a firmware update has been released to sort a bit of this out. For me it's the gf1, built in flash(nx you have to screw it on)and external controls. Also look at the epl1/2 by Olympus.

You can get a sony hotshoe -> normal hotshoe adapter which would give you more possibilities. No built in flash is annoying though.

There are also lots of lens adapters for the Nex so you can use alpha mount, leica, contax and nikon lenses on it. It also has in body IS.

I don't know what the lens choice is like with the GF-1. Not sure it has in body IS.

GF1 has no in body IS, and the fabuloous 20mm isn't stabilised either. It shouldn't be an issue at 20mm though. FWIW, for that style of camera I'd say the Olympus PEN is the better body, but the Panasonic walkabout lenses are better than the Oly ones at present.

Sony NEX definitely has the better sensor, but the system still feels a bit inadequate as a whole for me yet.

NEX5 doesn't have a touch screen & the menu has been updated to version 3 which is a lot better to use

olympus - love the looks, but tried them - didn't at all like it. evev the new samsung is a far better choice . nex'es - nice, verry, verry nice. apart from the flash and the 16mm prime is too wide. in all - wouldn't want to spend $$$ monies on a micro4/3rds if I can get a APS for that .

I'm biased as I've only used the GF1 out of your list but it's a great little camera imo - and the Panasonic lenses are mostly very good. Check out my site for some examples taken with the GF1 (almost all on there taken with GF1 or G1 which is pretty much the same thing) ;)

thanks for the info.

really looking to downsize my nikon gear and buy a smaller system for carrying about for holidays etc.

I've owned the nex3 and panasonic g1 and currently have the gf1 so can speak with some experience....

I found the g1 the easiest to use because of the high quality electronic viewfinder and slr style controls, the gf1 is the best alround package IMHO because of the size, external controls, 20mm lens and external viewfinder, the NEX has the best IQ but was too unbalanced and the handling didn't suit me, the external flash and no viewfinder were the killer as far as I was concerned.

Both systems will take adapters and therefor a huge range of new and old glass, at the end of the day it comes down to what feels best, I have several 24x16 inch prints from both systems and it is nigh on impossible to see the difference. To my mind the micro four thirds system has a greater range of lenses and is better supported, I also like the size and shape of the gf1, hope this helps,

Des

Last edited:
thanks des just need to get rid of my d300 and lenses to fund the purchase.

I have just got rid of my D90 for a NEX-5.

I looked at the other camera's you mentioned and i almost bought the EPL-1, although everyone said they would have the GH1 over the EP i still wanted teh EP for the looks.

Then i found the NEX and the research started all over again. This camera ticked all the boxes for me, it had the same sensor as my D90, so no loss in image quality. It was small, (the smallest interchangeable lens camera in the world in-fact) You could buy adapters for pretty much every lens on the market, so keep your Nikon lenses if you decide to go for this choice.

The screen could be tilted which ticked a box for me, especially not having to lay on the ground for low shots. 7 frames a second, full HD video, Panoramic, including 3D. Whats not to like.
Ok the 16mm pancake is a bit pants, but who cares considering the lens choice available.

Menu system?, no problems to date, when you get to know the menu its easy just like every other camera.

Whatever choice you make it will ultimately come down to image quality and lenses, with looks in the back of your mind.

im leaning towards the nex 5 at the moment with the gf1 still in the running

The screen could be tilted which ticked a box for me, especially not having to lay on the ground for low shots. 7 frames a second, full HD video, Panoramic, including 3D. Whats not to like
has anyone had any experience with the sweep panorama on the Nex 5 It's looks pretty interesting, especially if it's as flexible as it sounds on the website.

Pano.jpg

Taken last night in twilight - only comes out as a JPEG.

Had my NEX-5 for a week now and love it - the tilting screen is a Godsend and the pano is pretty good.

Coming from a D700 I was concerned about ISO quality, but it's useable...

Pano.jpg

Taken last night in twilight - only comes out as a JPEG.

Had my NEX-5 for a week now and love it - the tilting screen is a Godsend and the pano is pretty good.

Coming from a D700 I was concerned about ISO quality, but it's useable...

Was this taken using the auto-pano (or whatever it's called) feature? Cheers.

go the NEX5,
Such a tiny camera with APSC frame, I don't like any m43 things.

Was this taken using the auto-pano (or whatever it's called) feature? Cheers.

It most certainly was - it shoots at 1/500th, F2.8 @ 7 FPS and auto stitches them all together, it will also do a 3D pano that can be viewed on a Sony Bravia 3D TV :bonk:

The other problem you will end up having with the nex 5 is that the lenses have to be the same or similar size as those of any APS-C DSLR so the main bulk and weight of the system is really the same. I can't imagine how funny a 2.8 70-200 will be on such a camera.

So the camera is small but you don't get a decent small sized lens as the 16mm is not great and a couple other small primes are really expensive (near the 1k mark for a 24mm).

As mentioned above I think the NEX system feels a bit unbalanced at the moment

The other problem you will end up having with the nex 5 is that the lenses have to be the same or similar size as those of any APS-C DSLR so the main bulk and weight of the system is really the same. I can't imagine how funny a 2.8 70-200 will be on such a camera.

So the camera is small but you don't get a decent small sized lens as the 16mm is not great and a couple other small primes are really expensive (near the 1k mark for a 24mm).

As mentioned above I think the NEX system feels a bit unbalanced at the moment

The bulk and weight is only on the lens as the camera is so small. you however you'll have to get adapters with built in tripod mount as the weight of the lens on end of the camera is going to bugger up the camera ring.
By the way you can use pretty much every single lens on the market, with the right adapter.

I have a 210mm on mine. (y)

I would say GF1 or Olympus E-PL2.

The NEX has a better sensor and is awesome when using legacy (old manual) lenses but has no in built IS & nore has the GF1. The E-PL2 does have in built IS. The NEX kit lenses are not great. They are good but not great.

GF1 or E-PL2 with Panasonic 20mm f1.7 ......Awesome!

Last edited:
I would say GF1 or Olympus E-PL2.

The NEX has a better sensor and is awesome when using legacy (old manual) lenses but has no in built IS & nore has the GF1. The E-PL2 does have in built IS. The NEX kit lenses are not great. They are good but not great.

GF1 or E-PL2 with Panasonic 20mm f1.7 ......Awesome!

Agree on the kit lenses, i am using a Zuiko 2.8 and i love it, sod the IS... (y)

If using small focal lengths then IS is not an issue. I used the Voigtlander 25mm f/4 Skopar on my NEX 5 on Saturday and the results are stunning in my opinion, not the photo as such but the detail and sharpness and feel of the image. Trouble is I just wish it was AF! Zeiss are bringing out a 24mm f1.7 which will be perfect but that is going to cost I recon about £1000!!!

Does anyone actually like the NEX 18-55mm?

Last edited:
It most certainly was - it shoots at 1/500th, F2.8 @ 7 FPS and auto stitches them all together, it will also do a 3D pano that can be viewed on a Sony Bravia 3D TV :bonk:

Thanks for that! Looks good ;)

If using small focal lengths then IS is not an issue. I used the Voigtlander 25mm f/4 Skopar on my NEX 5 on Saturday and the results are stunning in my opinion, not the photo as such but the detail and sharpness and feel of the image. Trouble is I just wish it was AF! Zeiss are bringing out a 24mm f1.7 which will be perfect but that is going to cost I recon about £1000!!!

Does anyone actually like the NEX 18-55mm?

:LOL::LOL:No!, i took it off when i got my Zuiko. Not used it since. :LOL::LOL:

:LOL::LOL:No!, i took it off when i got my Zuiko. Not used it since. :LOL::LOL:

:LOL: I guess i can put up with MF rather than spend £££££'s

What i did on Saturday was set the focus to near infinity and aperture to f/8 and just shot away. Most of the images were super sharp with no camera shake. You just have to remember to shoot stuff thats more than 2 meters away.

So...going back to the OP's question.

GF1/E-PL2 if you want to use AF lenses
NEX if happy using MF lenses as the sensor is SUPERB!

Oh and 1 more thing about the NEX, there were many complaints about the menu system and digging deep to change ISO and WB. If you upload the latest firmware you can assign sofy keys so most functions are close to hand plus the MF assist makes using MF lenses a dream!

Last edited:
Vivitar/Miranda/Zeiss Jena/Cosina 24mm f2.8 - Excellent MF beasty, and so cheap too!

:LOL: I guess i can put up with MF rather than spend £££££'s

What i did on Saturday was set the focus to near infinity and aperture to f/8 and just shot away. Most of the images were super sharp with no camera shake. You just have to remember to shoot stuff thats more than 2 meters away.

So...going back to the OP's question.

GF1/E-PL2 if you want to use AF lenses
NEX if happy using MF lenses as the sensor is SUPERB!

Oh and 1 more thing, there were many complaints about the menu system and digging deep to change ISO and WB. If you upload the latest firmware you can assign sofy keys so most functions are close to hand plus the MF assist makes using MF lenses a dream!

I haven't changed the soft keys yet, and i shoot maual, but i have no problems at all changing anythign in the menu. Once you know where everything is its like everything else. I can change what i want just as quick as i could on my old D90.

also if you buy Sony Alpha lenses you can still make use of the AF.

I haven't changed the soft keys yet, and i shoot maual, but i have no problems at all changing anythign in the menu. Once you know where everything is its like everything else. I can change what i want just as quick as i could on my old D90.

also if you buy Sony Alpha lenses you can still make use of the AF.

All very true!

Will look at getting a 24mm fast lens i think!

just got an old minolta 58 1.4 just waiting for the adaptor to arrive.

I have just bought a Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 on Canon FD mount Mint from *Bay and a FD/NEX adapter so should be with me by the weekend!!!

You shouldn't be disappointed, I loved both my Viv 24s. I even sold my Zuiko 24mm, that's how impressed I was.

You shouldn't be disappointed, I loved both my Viv 24s. I even sold my Zuiko 24mm, that's how impressed I was.

I like the sound of that!! The Zuiko is a cracking lens!!

Dont suppose someone can give some good advice on decent M42 or FD lenses and adaptors for the NEX as ive just laid my hands on one.(y)

I would love to utilise my EF lenses but it would seem that only one firm is looking at a conversion for electronically controlled aperture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1Nm6ZDWJs&feature=player_embedded

Just have alook on *Bay at camera lenses and type in M42 or FD in the search field at the top of the page. This will narrow down the selection.

My fave 50mm's are Pentacon 50mm f1.8 MC, SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 (you will need an OM adapter for this one) and Canon FD 50mm f1.4. Oh and Carl Zeiss lenses are superb!! As are Pentax, Takumar, Olympus, Vivitar etc

There is a section just for adapters on *Bay here Again just type in for example 'M42 to NEX' in the search field and it will bring up all the M42 to NEX adapters.

Last edited:
Back