Sony NEX/ILCE - focus settings

Edit My Images
Yes
I love my Nex 6 but have a couple of gripes with focus settings that are frustrating me. I have trawled the menus at length and not figured out a way to do these things. Does anyone have one of these cameras and can they help?

1: DMF setting: I love this mode - auto focus, then fine-tune manually. I want to find a way to lock the focus once I've fine-tuned it. I find it near-impossible to keep the shutter button half-depressed to keep the focus, and navigating in to the menus to turn MF mode on every time I get good focus is tedious. My preference it to set separate keys to operate the AF and the shutter, but I can't find a way to do this. I will consider any other workarounds you can think of.

2: AF performs better with the aperture wide-open, but it won't open itself up to focus, even if it is struggling in low light. The only way I've found around this is to open the aperture wide-open myself, focus, set to MF, then shoot, by which time my subject has wandered off.

3: probably too much to ask for, but when using a magnified portion of the image for MF or DMF, a thumbnail size preview of the whole image would be wonderful!

Thanks,

Why are you in DMF mode and while the shutter is half depressed, switching to MF? Once you have the focus just wait a sec and the full image will reappear and snap. Depending on your mode, Shutter adjustment is always the multi-function wheel, fstop is the other wheel just below the M/A/P/Auto adjustment. Setting the camera on MF you can also assign one of the function buttons (I use the bottom button below the wheel) to activate the "zoom" focus that is used in the DMF mode w/ autofocus. The zoom mode can be timed or set to stay on and manually turned off with another press of the button. I think the AEL button can also be a trigger to go between MF & AF but I haven't tried.

I have the A6000 and found if I press the OK button instead of holding the shutter button half way it keeps on MF @ 5.6x zoom press ok again puts it on max zoom and pressing again takes you back to normal view where I can see where it has focused using Focus peaking obviously.Not sure if this works on the Nex 6 but worth a try.

Back