Sony NEX owners thread

The VAT back was available on all NEX-5 packs.

I haven't got a case yet, as i want one that will JUST take the NEX with 16mm, spare batery and flash, but as of just now, i haven't managed to get to a camera shop to try any out. Been told the LCM-EMA/B can take the NEX and 16mm, but from what i gather, there's no extra room for the accessories. Shame, as i was after a semi-hard case....

Hi Carole. I use my existing Lowepro 100 as I carry some filters etc. Carrying both 18-25 and 16mm can be a problem. If I am going "light" I bought a Sandstrom from a local camera shop - though used for camcorder, but big enough for a filter or two. Cheers Lewis

Thanks Lewis :) I was looking at camcorder bags today & thought that they could be ideal.

I posted this query separately last night but I havent got any replies so can anyone on here help................
I have just bought the Sony Nex 5 & I was aware of the limited lenses for this camera but I'd already seen the numerous mount adapters possibilities on fleabay which would enable me to use other makes of lenses, albeit without auto focus.
The mounts are pretty resonable prices & being of the school that 'you get what you pay for' this has made me dubious to how good these mounts are, what are others experiences of these mounts, if any?
Thanks

Carole

Well I bought an SLR Magic which is a 35mm f1.7 lens with an adapter to suit the Nex.

It looks a pretty basic item, but it does the job. There is no electrics in these things so you don't really need to be concerned about the build. As long as it fits the camera and lens, that's the only things that need to be correct....if it can't do that, then I'm sure the seller would refund your money.

Hi , I have just ordered a Nex 5 and have some Sony Alpha lenses I would like to try on it. I realise I need an adapter and just wondered if you could point me in the direction of a supplier. Budget blown on the camera so I cant afford the la-ea1/2 at the moment . Any suggestions. Thanks

Hi , I have just ordered a Nex 5 and have some Sony Alpha lenses I would like to try on it. I realise I need an adapter and just wondered if you could point me in the direction of a supplier. Budget blown on the camera so I cant afford the la-ea1/2 at the moment . Any suggestions. Thanks

Ebay do all sorts of adaptors for different lenses to be used on the NEX system. But the only thing is that the cheaper adaptors will just be a bog standard metal mount, and that's it. No chip, AE/AF/lens communication. All manual focus, with the NEX set on "shutter release without a lens - enabled". I found some mounts, if you pay too cheap, will not give an adequate fit. My old Voigtlander 40mm 1.4 rattled a little in it's adaptor, wasn't tight enough.

If you are serious about using the NEX as a second body alternative to your alpha system, then personally, I'd wait and save for the LA-EA2 with the phase detect and trans screen.

Have recently become an owner of a NEX-6Y outfit and quite enjoying the experience. There are certainly some quirky bits of the menus to get used to but so far I am very impressed with the performance.
Any more NEX-6 owners out there ?
Andy

Have recently become an owner of a NEX-6Y outfit and quite enjoying the experience. There are certainly some quirky bits of the menus to get used to but so far I am very impressed with the performance.
Andy

I use a NEX 5N but have used the NEX 6 extensively as my brother has one. I'm thinking of getting myself one in the near future, I prefer it over my NEX 5N. I use the Sony 16mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 2.8, Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS and the Fujian 35mm 1.7 CCTV lens and the Jupiter-8 50mm f/2. All of them perform really well, my favourite is the Sigma 30mm and the Fujian 35mm. The Fujian gives a look that is very distinctive, a lot of character.

I have a nex5n for travelling light.. I've been looking at the converters for the 16mm pancake.. ultra wide and the fish eye..

leaning towards the ultra wide, anyone have one?.. does it make much difference using it than just the 16mm on its own?

(y)

I have a nex5n for travelling light.. I've been looking at the converters for the 16mm pancake.. ultra wide and the fish eye..

leaning towards the ultra wide, anyone have one?.. does it make much difference using it than just the 16mm on its own?

(y)

I have both converters and they are both brilliant, well worth the money. UW converter gives you 16mm rather than 24mm equivalent. Fisheye is simply great fun to use. I don't think these affect image quality much, probably because 16mm is not brilliant on it own.

Andy

This thread seems to be dead, looks like most Nex owners post on dpreview forum. NEX thread is one of the busiest there.
I suppose we could change it...

NEX7 owner :D

Off on holiday in the summer and want to take a tripod my main tripod is to heavy to pack so i am considering a Joby gorillapod slr for my Nex 5n . Anyone on here use it with there Nex or can you recommend something else that's lightweight. Also reading reviews on the Ultrapod 2 , worth a look? There are cheaper "Gorillapods" on ebay but not sure how the quality will be. Any advice gratefully received Thanks

I have a nex c3 which is the 16mp version. I'm always amazed at the quality of the images it produces. it's my travel light kit as the d700 is just too heavy to lug any distance comfortably. I'd highly recommend the Sony nex:clap:

I went for it. A lovely Sony Nex 6. I would like to use my Nikon G lenses on this camera so would appreciate it if someone using this combination would recommend me an adapter? Thanks

I may be wrong on this, but I was under the impression you can use the Nikon D lenses because they have the aperture ring, where as the g lenses don't.

I have seen few on the Internet that can control the aperture on Nikon G lenses, I just wanted to hear from people that have used them before committing

I just picked up a used NEX 6 (2 weeks old) to use with my Leica glass. I've been out to test it and the photos are superb. Well worth the money.

Would love a NEX to compliment my a77 but the lack of GPS is frustrating (and seems to be a common query on forums), doing a lot of travelling soon so a compact alternative for certain times would have been great, but now I'm used to GPS not having it for half my shots would be frustrating.

Seems really odd given that Sony are sticking it in compacts and SLTs, the NEX range if anything seems like exactly the range that it would be most useful for.

My nex-6 focuses on its own before pressing the shutter button, can I disable this apart from having MF on? Thanks

see if there's af w shutter option. I scared myself thinking I had broke my a77 or 16-50 lens when it wouldn't autofocus...

the a55 is small n light and has gps

The only option I can think is either smile detect causing the constant AF or possibly continuous AF although I think that may only be after you've half pressed the shutter? Does it do it in all modes?

Cheers
Steve

The only option I can think is either smile detect causing the constant AF or possibly continuous AF although I think that may only be after you've half pressed the shutter? Does it do it in all modes?

Cheers
Steve

So is it only me getting this?

I shoot Raw so all jpg settings are turned off. Camera set to AF-S, single shooting,

So is it only me getting this?

I shoot Raw so all jpg settings are turned off. Camera set to AF-S, single shooting,

Checked with the store and turned up to be normal. All NEX cameras do it :thinking:

Does anyone know if I can have a shortcut to the Steady Shot rather than having to dig deep into the menu just to get to it? Thanks

Just got myself a Sony Nex 5r today. It is currently on charge now and I am sitting here waiting like a little kid waiting for Christmas. Only have the 18-55mm kit lens with it but I think that will more than ample for my photographic needs.

Lucky find of a NEX-C3 18-55mm kit for £35 in the Tesco clearance, ex display just missing the mains cable. Going to use in my travel kit to complement my Nikon V1 with 30-110mm, when I can't take the DSLR .

Impressed shooting raw (DXO/LR), APS-C does low light so much better than V1's 1" sensor. Have ordered as Nikon F(G) to E Mount adapter to use my Nikon lenses including a 50mm 1.8 Series E.

Thinking of adding the Sigma 19mm f2.8 ex dn, is it much better than the kit lens ?

Nex 6 on demand, could any one advise me on flash triggers?, lot of miss leading info on the net

Nex 6 on demand, could any one advise me on flash triggers?, lot of miss leading info on the net

The Multi Interface Shoe on the Nex 6 is weird and temperamental. I know my Yongnuo 603s don't work on it, but my old Yongnuo CRT 301s worked fine. If you check online - some people have success with the 603s while a lot don't. I think it's down to luck if your flash triggers work.

I've picked myself up an NEX 6 this weekend and loving it so far. I really need to get out and give it a good test, but i think it must be me at the minute as I'm getting slightly soft shots (only taken a few portraits so far).

I'm thinking maybe it was due to being indoors with low light, and having used the LCD instead of the View finder.

One thing i have noticed is that when focusing, i have it set to spot focus. Sometimes it will focus and the spot in the middle will be green, then others it will focus and i will get a green box around the edge of the screen to say its ready. Does anyone know why it does this?

After using different NEXs, i'd never let the autofocus mode be Flexi Spot Focus or Multi, it's way too unpredictable imo. The wide green box is saying it thinks it's in focus but it can't be certain, I'm guessing this happens more often in low light?

So you only use the centre focus mode? How do you find that for portraits etc at wide open apertures? Are the eyes sharp etc?

Centre point is the only reliable focusing mode on the NEXs in my experience. The other two focus modes really enjoy focusing on the background for some reason. I found centre point even easier to use with high apertures between f/1.8-2.8.

I know purists will scoff at this idea, but have you tried face detection? It really works well in modern NEX cameras.

I'm expecting a Nex 6 to arrive on my doorstep at some point today...got a decent deal on a used one from Wex for £206!

Looks like I'm in the minority on this forum as I don't own a dslr, I'm mirrorless only for the time being...I bought a GH2 a few years ago strictly for video work and having it around piqued my interest in photography again. I also found an incredibly cheap GF3 that I like to use with the 14mm and 20mm pancakes as it makes such a tiny but decent quality package.

What made me look at the Nex was my collection of Canon FD lenses that I use for videography, I wanted to be able to use them at their intended focal length for photography only. After finding out about the A7 I decided it would potentially be the perfect camera for me but finances wouldn't stretch (and I couldn't justify spending so much on a hobby to the wife!) So my compromise is to use a Nex 6 with a speed booster which will give me somewhere near to a full frame image at a quarter of the price. Unfortunately the speed booster is coming from Hong Kong so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for that, I suppose it'll give me time to learn the menu system:)

I'll post my findings here once all the components arrive and maybe some pics too if I happen to fluke some I like...

Back