Sony RX10 or DSLR

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I've been watching the classified sections for a wee while now trying to decide whether to purchase a 50d or 5d classic and when discussing this last night with a photographer friend he suggested a Sony RX10 instead. Now i had never even gave a bridge camera any thought but he say's this camera has fantastic image quality due to a really top notch lens. Now i'm wondering just how good this is and would i notice any major loss in image quality compared to a 50d or 5d classic paired with a 70-200 f4L.

I have recently came to the conclusion that photography will never be anything more than a hobby as i cannot tear myself away from my family to put the hours in that would allow me to improve the way i thought i wanted to. So now that dream is over i was thinking clearly and this is what i need for my photography needs.

Good image quality
Fast'ish lens for catching my 2 year old on the go inside and out
Decent sized body as i couldn't get along with the EPL5 or the GF3 before that

This Sony RX10 seems to tick the boxes but i have yet to see any images from it and i don't really have a photography stopre close to me where i could maybe try one. I'm not sure the likes of Curry's etc would allow me to have a play even if they did have one.

Any advice appreciated as always.

Some very nice images there. I'm in work just now so i'll get time to have a proper look later. Thnaks for your reply.

Your camera is just a tool and, like a tool, you should get the one which you feel most comfortable using. All cameras do the same thing - Takes photos, but the photographer makes the photograph.

The Sony RX10, or similar, does sound as if it ticks your boxes but you don't have to be a professional to use DSLR systems.

In answer to your question about lens quality, a Canon L lens will always offer better image quality in my opinion. Personally, bridge cameras feel like plastic toys to me and I intensely dislike their viewfinders. They are neither one thing nor the other and I prefer a true compact to a bridge. But each to their own and some people achieve great results with them.

In answer to your question about lens quality, a Canon L lens will always offer better image quality in my opinion. Personally, bridge cameras feel like plastic toys to me and I intensely dislike their viewfinders. They are neither one thing nor the other and I prefer a true compact to a bridge. But each to their own and some people achieve great results with them.

Canon L lenses are all full frame and may not be the best choice if you're shooting APS-C also some are IMVHO older designs and / or less than fantastic and if you removed the red ring from those that are less than outstanding I wonder if sales would drop a little?

I'd always advise people to buy what's best for them rather than sticking to a make or badge and I'm always cautious of sweeping generalisations such as Canon L lenses will always offer better image quality. Some may be the best at their particular market point but I think it's pretty safe to say that non L's may very well offer advantages and even better IQ at some market points.

Last edited:
the rx10 is a expensive bridge camera because its done right, the new panasonic is good to

but spend 20quid and get a instax camera, your kid will love it as its magic

@RedRobin, I don't know if youve handled an RX10 but in DSLR terms you need a top end DSLR just to match the hand feel and build quality of the RX10.

As good as the RX10 is (and its image quality is fantastic) the focus sytem isn't great for high speed work and an active toddler may fall into that category.

yeah that RX10 is mightily impressive I have a friend of a friend who uses one and I was very impressed although I do think they are pricey even with the excellent build quality weathersealed outer, one of the things I think Sony have done dead right with it is not going for stupidozoom but focusing on a quality 24-200 2.8, something I remember Panasonic being good at with there bridge cameras 5-6 generations ago

The camera is only 649 from Jessop just now and second hand around the 500 mark which would actually save me 100 odd quid but that's not a deal maker or breaker.

Strumstrum have you compared the images from this and the epl5? Just wondering how it stacks up against it as I had one recently.

@RedRobin, I don't know if youve handled an RX10 but in DSLR terms you need a top end DSLR just to match the hand feel and build quality of the RX10.

As good as the RX10 is (and its image quality is fantastic) the focus sytem isn't great for high speed work and an active toddler may fall into that category.

....I have a Sony RX100 II and Sony's build quality is very good but there's a lot about the Sony interface which I really don't like and I'm seriously thinking of selling it.

The RX10 would be useless for wildlife regarding both focussing and lens reach. But all I'm saying is that it's not for me. It may be perfect for the OP Scott.

The RX10 would not be useful for wildlife. It's a great walk around lens however and if ever canon make a 24-200 2.8 L this is the lens they should try and emulate sharpness wise!

Back