Sorry guys - its another Hover

Edit My Images
Yes
I finally got a shot worth taking with my Macro Lens, so much harder than I thought it would be!

I used the setting advised to me on my other thread, the raw was totally over exposed though :(, it was easy to PS it, but I would like to not have to, as I dont get a great deal of time.

DSC_8323 copy by jomantha, on Flickr

original

DSC_8323 by jomantha, on Flickr

still not so good on the bees!

DSC_8347 by jomantha, on Flickr

DSC_8333 by jomantha, on Flickr

more practising tomommor if the weather holds

Last edited:
I'll chime in and say there not bad pics (y), To me it seems like your not compensating with your fec correctly.

Can I ask a few things which settings did you end up using for starts I looked at the other thread but not sure whose advice you followed.

Secondly the flash your using I assume its diffused?

Thirdly did you use any fec

I know you say you haven't got much time so when your out you don't want to feel like your efforts are wasted, but a little exercise for you might be to try photographing images with various backgrounds and try 3 or 4 different fec settings for each image they don't even need to be brilliant images just to give you an idea of how to set up for various light and dark pictures.

When I say various backgrounds btw i mean images such as a bright flower a leaf hanging off a tree with nothing directly behind it, a small stone in some dirt and just a green shrub which you could even put a small bit of dirt on it to mimic a dark insect.

Last edited:
Thanks nez - I used these settings - set it all in manual and stick the flash on, set to auto, manual focus , iso 200, f11 (to start) and 1/200 .

I didn't use fec - forgot to - I did change the aperture up and down on occasion.

The bees didn't have flash (I think i took loads and I am sure these are the ones without) as it was bright sunlight.

I have just had them up on my Tv and they look much better than on laptop.

sorry to jump in with a noddy question - fec??

BTW, nice pic of the hoverfly - the colours come out really well on it!

FEC - Flash Exposure Compensation - volume control for flash - turn it up or down.

I have a thread called - where am I going wrong - there are some really helpful posts on it

FEC = Flash Exposure Correction.

Basically, you can increase/decrease the output power of your flash when in ETTL Mode

Sam, I think you did really well to pull down the exposure and maintain good detail. The colours through the wings are lovely.

Thanks Ian - so should I have dropped the fec by something - or made the flash less powerful?

Also nez no it wasn't diffused should it have been?

looks like just a simple case of the fec needed adjusting then.

Also nez no it wasn't diffused should it have been?

yes very much so would help a good deal.

oh and if it was a sunny day you may of been able to make do with iso 100

Last edited:
A good set #1 and #4 are the best and some great advice and tips in the thread. I always use my fec and basically as Im not a technical minded person I usually start at -1/3 to 2/3 take a shot check the image and histogram and adjust accordingly.

thanks all - realise I use it without actually knowing what it is called :)

anyway, sorry for the hijack - back to the OP...

Looking at no1 again, did you say that is what came out as the jpg and no2 was the raw? I like how clear no1 is and the colour around things like the eyes is fantastic, but looking at it again, it does almost look like to me that it has been stuck on from another shot :) It is just the DOF, but made me look twice :)

Oh, and Sam, if you have a link for your thread, would love to have a look. I am always looking to improve. cheers.

Last edited:
Back