soundbar reccomendations?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I have a 60 inch LG tv and decided I want a soundbar.. But I ahvent the foggiest idea what anyhting means.. the output figures may as well be in chinese.... I have no idea..

its just a normal front room with a telly.. not a big hall.. what would anyone suggest I get as a decent soundbar.. not looking for cheap tat nor for mega expensive not really needed.. just somehtign decent ?: )

Why do you think you need one are there other options

I don't need one...I said I decided I want one.. its a treat because I am told it will enhance the experience :).. dont want speakers and we have a unit under the telly one would go on nicely....

We have a LG one with a wireless subwoofer, can't remember the model number but it was around the £150 mark in the 'black Monday' sale last year.
It really makes a difference. When watching films we can feel the vibrations from the subwoofer on the really dramatic bits, Interstellar last week sounded great.

Visit Richer sounds and have a listen to some options. No point in buying one that looks great that someone loves only to discover that the sound's too thin/bassy for your tastes.

We have a LG one with a wireless subwoofer, can't remember the model number but it was around the £150 mark in the 'black Monday' sale last year.
It really makes a difference. When watching films we can feel the vibrations from the subwoofer on the really dramatic bits, Interstellar last week sounded great.

I've also got an LG with wireless sub which was around £150, I'll second the difference it makes to the sound quality. It comes on automatically with the Samsung TV and can't believe the difference.

Oh, just thought, check the sound outputs on the tv and make sure they match whichever soundbar you choose.

Oh, just thought, check the sound outputs on the tv and make sure they match whichever soundbar you choose.

Cheers..But... I didn't follow that at all sorry ?

just want to throw this out there for discussion as I am not 100% but a potential for disappointment getting a soundbar too small for your TV, most cater for around the 40inch market, now imagine a 40 inch soundbar under your 60inch tv, that is a lot missing either side and a potential for sound to feel too central.. another option is a 2.1 system, yes I read about you saying you do not want speakers but they will only be satellites and you can place them under the tv still but knowing you can space them apart accordingly.

if you do pop into a Richer Sounds they should have these http://www.trustedreviews.com/boston-acoustics-soundware-xs-digital-cinema-review have a listen

Cheers..But... I didn't follow that at all sorry ?

Make sure that the outputs on the back of the TV/Sky Box etc match the inputs on the soundbar. For instance, we have the following:
Optical Out from Sky going to Optical In on the soundbar.
We have a small NUC pc behind the TV (streaming movies etc) that has HDMI connections so HDMI from the PC to HDMI In on the soundbar then HDMI Out on the sounbar goes to the TV.

If you get a soundbar that only has Optical connections and your TV/Sky etc does not have Optical connections you're stuffed.

Not sure if I've explained that too well, hopefully you get the idea :)

Make sure that the outputs on the back of the TV/Sky Box etc match the inputs on the soundbar. For instance, we have the following:
We have a small NUC pc behind the TV (streaming movies etc) that has HDMI connections so HDMI from the PC to HDMI In on the soundbar then HDMI Out on the sounbar goes to the TV.

does your TV not have optical out? why not just plug all you sources into TV and have just the one optical to the sounbar? seems silly having an unnecessary lead going from Sky to soundbar

If you get a soundbar that only has Optical connections and your TV/Sky etc does not have Optical connections you're stuffed.

Not sure if I've explained that too well, hopefully you get the idea :)

well at first i thought you meant in the menu output options :) right the connections.. well you have lost me .. i really havent a clue.. hence why i asked in here... have learnt a couple of things and might lose the soundbar idea... before buying nayhting would make sure compatible.. but I thought the soundbar plugged into the telly not the skybox?

can't reply for most of day now as off out.......but learning thansk everyone :)

I had this dilemma for the TV in my Conservatory, I have a £2k plus system in my living room which sounds amazing and always felt that the TV where I spend most of my time needed something better that the tiny speakers built into LCD's.

I looked into Sound bars and settled on a JBL SB400 now whilst its nowhere near a match for my living room setup it does a pretty decent job in a room thats acoustically challenged to start with. The Subwoofer is bluetooth so can be hidden wherever you like in the room. For £350 it cost I'm quite happy with it.

Hi Tony

The main thing I would recommend is you go and have a listen to some - reviews are great and recommendations are excellent, but you have to be happy with the sound quality from it. I have lost count of the number of patients, where I have had a similar conversation and always recommend they listen to it before they buy it - have a trip down to Richer Sounds in Prestwich, John Lewis at Trafford Centre (if you're feeling brave) had plenty of different ones hooked up to TV's which you can listen to. There is also Harry Garlick's in Burnley / Clitheroe etc, but they may not have the choice...

There are quite a few of the sound bars that have wireless Sub's now, which makes life easier for putting it where you want - don't forget, the sub can be stuck in a corner, behind settee etc as low frequency sound isn't directional, so doesn't matter where you put it.

Cheers. I wasnt joking when I said I didnt know whats what so I have handed my wife the task of reading up what a sub is and why its needed.. I am deadly serious I honestly have no idea :(

Cheers. I wasnt joking when I said I didnt know whats what so I have handed my wife the task of reading up what a sub is and why its needed.. I am deadly serious I honestly have no idea :(

The Sub is the low frequency sound, gives you the volume, the depth of sound from the system (and makes the floor boards shake if you have it cranked up :D ) the front sound bar (or speakers) is where the mid / high frequency speakers are, which give you the clarity of speech etc...

Last edited:

wowsersl well you want to improve the sound its a pretty much given you need a system with a sub..
as mentioned before I really REALLY think you should be looking at a 2.1 set up over a soundbar, there are not many soundbar options for 60" tvs and I think if you put something smaller you will lose stereo imaging. a lot of 2.1 systems are not that intrusive, it literally is 1 sub and 2 small satellite speakers as the amp is built into the sub.

wowsersl well you want to improve the sound its a pretty much given you need a system with a sub..
as mentioned before I really REALLY think you should be looking at a 2.1 set up over a soundbar, there are not many soundbar options for 60" tvs and I think if you put something smaller you will lose stereo imaging. a lot of 2.1 systems are not that intrusive, it literally is 1 sub and 2 small satellite speakers as the amp is built into the sub.

Surely a 50" soundbar would have enough separation between the R/L channels to still give decent stereo sound? Your ears aren't getting any further apart as the TV gets bigger?

Might be missing something here. but surely the soundbar measurement is length while the telly is the diagonal measurement from corner to corner? And if I could remember the formula from all those years ago I would work it out! :rolleyes: EDIT: courtesy of Google, it seems like a 60inch screen might be 52 inches wide.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...ize-chart-screen-height-width-16-9-4-3-a.html

Richer also seem to be pushing soundbases now as well, but I've not seen any write-ups on them.

Last edited:
put your hi fi speakers 40" apart and then 60" apart tell if there is any difference.

There will be a difference, if I put them at 100" apart it will be different again. but it will still most definitely be stereo and for the purpose of watching TV pretty much negligible between a 50" and 60" separation.

Back