Southampton Solent University - B
4145080933_5236380723_o.jpg

Subway on the high street
4145080925_b03f053732_o.jpg

Empty carousel
4145080917_8094a44fd0_o.jpg

Traffic in front of Central Hall
4145080913_42c0b47530_o.jpg

Comments and constructive criticism please :)

Some cool shots there! I like the starburst effect on picture 1, although I want to see what's just missed off the bottom on street level.
Interesting sky on no. 2, what was your exposure time?
Not overly keen on the HDR on picture 3, looks slightly overcooked for my taste, but then HDR is a very subjective thing!
I like the carousel pic but would like to see a closer crop as detail seems to be missing from the main subject. Perhaps a portrait orientation if you wanted the shiny cobblestones included?
Really like the traffic one, but I'm a sucker for traffic light trails :)

A nice set, do you have a Flickr watsit?

Thanks for the comments :)

#1 is one I think I'll try again, it had started to rain so I wanted to get out of there!
#2 was a 13 second exposure.
#3 is definitely subjective, it's likely no one will like it, but I very much love the effect
#4 not being able to see the details is intentional, meant to feel very separate from the subject :) sorry!
#5 is currently my desktop, really pleased with it :) 2m40s exposure time, for all those interested

www.flickr.com/stphotographs

You really can't go wrong with long exposure night shots, can you? Well, apart from using a cheap wobbly tripod and relying on autofocus. :D I love all those long exposure shots, nowt wrong with those.
As for that HDR one with the cafeteria interior, the first thing that sprang straight away to mind as soon as I looked at that photo was that it looked like a screen grab from the latest first person shooter for the PC. Put that on a computer gamer magazine and people will think it's a taster picture for Half Life 3 or something like that. Don't take that as a bad thing as I thought it works very well, even though my way of thinking wasn't your original intention.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments :)

#1 is one I think I'll try again, it had started to rain so I wanted to get out of there!
#2 was a 13 second exposure.
#3 is definitely subjective, it's likely no one will like it, but I very much love the effect
#4 not being able to see the details is intentional, meant to feel very separate from the subject :) sorry!
#5 is currently my desktop, really pleased with it :) 2m40s exposure time, for all those interested

www.flickr.com/stphotographs

I like it! but then I love Subway!

You really can't go wrong with long exposure night shots, can you? Well, apart from using a cheap wobbly tripod and relying on autofocus. :D I love all those long exposure shots, nowt wrong with those.
As for that HDR one with the cafeteria interior, the first thing that sprang straight away to mind as soon as I looked at that photo was that it looked like a screen grab from the latest first person shooter for the PC. Put that on a computer gamer magazine and people will think it's a taster picture for Half Life 3 or something like that. Don't take that as a bad thing as I thought it works very well, even though my way of thinking wasn't your original intention.

No it wasn't my original intention, but nevertheless I'm glad you think it's effective and I can totally see where you're coming from :D

I like it! but then I love Subway!

(y) :)

Some fantastic shots there sean. Nice work.

Thanks very much :)

I think the first one could be really nice if the converging verticals weren't so bad. I know converging verticals are a bit of a personal preference thing but I don't think they do this photo any favours.

The last one is the pick of the bunch for me though.

Back