Speedlight for Sony A7iii

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm just getting back into photography after a small absence. I love doing portraits (Indoors/Outdoors) I have dabbled with some cheap indoor strobe lighting in the past, with some okay results.

I'm after some of your beautiful knowledge with regards to a Speedlight that works well with the A7iii.

All help would be truly gratefully received,

Thanks

Brian.

Hi there,

i recommend Godox V860iii. Won’t break the bank, is decent quality and comes with a rechargeable lithium battery. You can also buy a separate trigger for these units to control multiple speed lights or studio flashes. Just make sure you buy the model that is specific to your camera make e.g. v860iii-s is for Sony, v860iii-n is for Nikon, v860iii-c for Canon etc.

Seconded for Godox.

Particularly if you plan to expand your lighting knowledge later, it’s a great ‘system’

I agree with the Godox suggestion but personally I avoid the guns that use bespoke lithium and go for the ones that take AA batteries, e.g. the TT685iiS

Just cost, I have a lot of rechargeable NiMH AA's they work fine and can be used in anything that takes AAs, a spare Godox lithium battery is about £50
I also use AAs, but if I was starting again tomorrow I’m not sure I’d make the same decision.

Another Godox recommendation. Worth noting also that Pixapro is also rebranded Godox kit and fully interchangeable with Godox.

I also use AAs, but if I was starting again tomorrow I’m not sure I’d make the same decision.
It's a definite no for me these days. Both the AA-powered flash and the batteries are cheaper, however, I much prefer a modern, 1-piece battery that supports higher currents for quicker charging and recycle times.

Would also recommend the Godox V860III, I have several Godox Flashes and this one is the best of the bunch for me.

I was beginning to have trouble with my older lights and wanted to replace everything for both studio and field use, but couldn't afford a complete replacement. A mentor friend suggested Godox/Flashpoint/Pixapro, All are Godox, but rebranded and all work together. I started by buying a Goxox X2Tc transmitter and two Godox speedlites. Because the X2Tc has a pass thru hot shoe that would let me continue to use my old lights and transmitter stacked on top of my X2Tc, this helped me make the decision.

When using them, it was a game changer. Though I had a very tight budget for new lights it became my goal to replace every one of my studio and field lights with Godox/flashpoint (I'm in the US). Within 6 months I had replaced every light that I had. It stretched my budget almost to the breaking point, but I now have 7 studio lights and 5 speedlites that are all Godox/Flashpoint and I'm not looking back at this decision, and I now have 3 Godox X Pro triggers too. I haven't had a single flash failure in 3 years that was the hardware's fault. Photographer's fault yes, but not because of the hardware.( I usually bump the channel or something else stupid to cause it). I gave a few other starting out photographers a good deal on my old lights and they were gone quickly. The money I received paid for much of the cost of my new lights.

Charley

Back