Speedlite portrait

Hi Sam, I must say I like this a lot,
just a quick question as never used a speed light and am thinking of getting one did it and the softbox also light up the background.

Watch the position of your key light. You can see from the shadows and the catch light that your key is too low. It should always be at the very least level with the subject. If you are struggling to get it high enough because of the ceiling get your model to sit on a chair.

I agree with Dean re the key light, but I don't have an issue with the shadows. Looks fine to me.

I'd like to see a little more detail in the hair however. Having said that I am at work and using a crap monitor :)

Bottom line Sam, great image! :)

Thanks for the comments, I had to look at the image again to understand your comments regarding key light position but I get it now and will put it into practice next time. I created the background in photoshop.

Sam all I know is that this shot is very striking with an absolutely gorgeous model. Just slight nit picking in that I also would like to see a little more definition in the hair but otherwise beautifully captured :clap:

I agree with Dean re the key light, but I don't have an issue with the shadows. Looks fine to me.

I'd like to see a little more detail in the hair however. Having said that I am at work and using a crap monitor :)

Bottom line Sam, great image! :)

The shadow issue is noticeable if you look at the side of the nose. There should never be a shadow from the tip of the nose there because it is unflattering.

i agree about there needing to be more definition in the hair too - that wasn't so noticeable on my phone. :)

Lovely sharp shot of a very pretty model. Just a couple of minor niggles (couple have already been mentioned).

The key light, as said, it's too low, leaving the catchlites in the wrong part of the eye, although not a major issue in itself, it has created a horizontal shadow which is unflattering as others have said.

The hair definition on the top and side (right as we look at it, her left) is quite low, although the front looks nice on my screen.

The only other thing that really stands out to me and it may be this crappy monitor at work, is her right cheek (our left) is blending into the background a bit too much for my liking and could do with a bit more definition.

All meant as constructive comments, in general it's a lovely shot (y)

Last edited:
Sam - nice alternative PP :clap:

Can I make another suggestion? Ask your model to slightly open her mouth. It will loosen her jaw and make her look more relaxed and dynamic. I do mean slightly though. :)

nice shot and also kudos for the quality feedback
taking notes and enjoying the 2nd PP too. if the background is introduced in photoshop, then I would have thought you would change that to bring out some separation from the background for her right cheek.

Watch the position of your key light. You can see from the shadows and the catch light that your key is too low. It should always be at the very least level with the subject.

Of course you should never say never (or always).

There should never be a shadow from the tip of the nose there because it is unflattering.

As above. Also, how would you light someone without casting a shadow from their nose? Unless you're going to have ring flash as you key for every portrait, you're going to struggle. Anyway, Rembrandt did alright with nose shadows.

Of course you should never say never (or always).

As above. Also, how would you light someone without casting a shadow from their nose? Unless you're going to have ring flash as you key for every portrait, you're going to struggle. Anyway, Rembrandt did alright with nose shadows.

Jay, you missed the operative word - "there".

Not sure I follow.

Go back and reread what I said about nose shadows.

I agree regarding my absolutist agreement though. There may be occasions when you'd chose to break the rules, but at this stage in the OP's learning those are irrelevant.

As said I now understand the light position better re the catch lights. As shadows go every photographer has their own thoughts many like using shadows to various degrees and many don't like any shadows at all. I don't think there is a right or wrong just a choice.
I personally like a little shadow with soft edges as my preferred set up but sometimes I will bring in a second light to eliminate all shadows and sometimes I will create harsher shadows if I feel that suits.

As said I now understand the light position better re the catch lights. As shadows go every photographer has their own thoughts many like using shadows to various degrees and many don't like any shadows at all. I don't think there is a right or wrong just a choice.
I personally like a little shadow with soft edges as my preferred set up but sometimes I will bring in a second light to eliminate all shadows and sometimes I will create harsher shadows if I feel that suits.

Sam, it's not about how harsh the shadows are, but about where they are falling on the model. Shadows that fall directly in line with the nose serve only to make the nose look bigger.

Back