Spend my money elinchrom or lenscarta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woosa.

I think everyone needs to chill, it's only a picture at the end of the day, not saving someones life. If what you do works for you then great, but there are many ways to skin a cat (read 'light a subject') so just carry on with what you're doing if you're happy with the outcome. Sure, everyone evolves their technique and sometimes you may look back at your work and think wtf have I just created and then just bin it, but other times everything may just work in your favour and you learn something new. There isn't a right way and a wrong way imo, just different ways. Some are better than others admittedly but not everyone likes the same images.

I believe the OP has spent their money now anyway. :D

Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive Jenny? It only feeds the fire. It's sorta painful to watch. I realize this comment has nothing to do with the debate at hand, but you've come into this with both guns firing from the beginning. You don't have to agree with anything anyone says, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. And there's always the option to just walk away from it...
This is the post I started writing this morning. I wasn't making this good a job though. :)

To be fair she had had another pop on pm this morning.

I am past the point of being nice to you Jenny. Your point of view is not the only one and as many more competent than me (and my flat lighting as you so eloquently put it) have said. Rather than bother asking you to demonstrate, go back to your YouTube videos and stop looking for an argument. Like a drunk aunt at a wedding it's getting a little embarrassing dear!

Last edited:
She has a way with words, I'll give her that. Admittedly they're usually ones of abuse towards me, but she talks nicely to everyone else. :)

Beth that is...
Shaddup you.

Haha, wish i hadn't started, think ill go and stand in a dark room

Just to say i have Daves old Elinchrom gear with no umbrellas.

I provide what the customer requests. In the case of 95% of the headshots/portraits currently on my website that's exactly what was asked for and being a staff photographer, that's exactly what I provided.
I don't let my own ego get in the way of business.

However back lighting a bloke with poor skin and post processing the eyes so much that they look out of focus is pretty unforgivable.
There'd be no point in me linking to your feedback, because you'd never post a bad one. Your customers are not likely to notice the difference.
However, those headshots represent their livelihood and most agencies and casting panel certainly will pick up on stuff like that.

I've never had bad feedback, not once. I am fully conversant with headshot requirements having check the t&c's on submissions.

I thought it would be best to try and take this argument into a private discussion, you chose to drag it back into the thread.

Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive Jenny? It only feeds the fire. It's sorta painful to watch. I realize this comment has nothing to do with the debate at hand, but you've come into this with both guns firing from the beginning. You don't have to agree with anything anyone says, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. And there's always the option to just walk away from it...

Hi Sunny, check back on the rest of the thread. But I agree, I'm wasting my time.

I've never had bad feedback, not once. I am fully conversant with headshot requirements having check the t&c's on submissions.

I thought it would be best to try and take this argument into a private discussion, you chose to drag it back into the thread.
But why do you want to argue at all?
What's the point?
What will it achieve?
You're entitled to your views on studio lighting, the universe and everything, but it should be clear to you, from the expression of your views on other threads, that there are very few people who want to hear them.

Why can't we all just be nice?

I thought it would be best to try and take this argument into a private discussion, you chose to drag it back into the thread

Except you looked at the wrong person's site & you also PM'd the wrong person; ie Ding.

I'd agree that we are getting slightly off base here - so if you would kindly agree not to try & create an argument everytime Garry posts, maybe this forum can return to normal?

Otherwise you are going to get s***e handed back to you every time you post and those threads will end up just as buggered as this one.

And no that's not a threat - it's an observation of what happens when you post. I have absolutely no intention of engaging with you again, unless you pisch me off. You are largely irrelevant.

Except you looked at the wrong person's site & you also PM'd the wrong person; ie Ding.

I'd agree that we are getting slightly off base here - so if you would kindly agree not to try & create an argument everytime Garry posts, maybe this forum can return to normal?

Otherwise you are going to get s***e handed back to you every time you post and those threads will end up just as buggered as this one.

And no that's not a threat - it's an observation of what happens when you post. I have absolutely no intention of engaging with you again, unless you pisch me off. You are largely irrelevant.

If you agree not to support Garry just because he is Garry and use your own brain?

If you agree not to support Garry just because he is Garry and use your own brain?

I've never supported Garry and I'm certainly no sheep. Yes he has an inclination towards Lencarta, but then again that is his product. Unlike some, I'm capable of filtering the information that he passes on.

However he is generally accurate. Unlike your sweeping comments such as "most professionals use Elinchrom". I strongly suspect that you don't visit professional studios much or haven't had an awful lot of
contact with other professionals. Elinchrom are very much a mid range product!

sod it, this is a waste of time.

Goodo. You are starting to learn then!

sod it, this is a waste of time.
I've watched this thread with avid interest not due to the original question but because of you posting in it Jenny. It's always popcorn time when you and Garry are in a thread together.

Now i've no idea of the history as there does appear to be some but in my vaguely independent stance (i have no alliances here) you do come across as having a monumentally large axe to grind and are by default with a lot of poster very aggressive / argumentative. I'm quite sure we can all productively get along without it all descending into a farce every time.

Just my 2 pcs worth.

Last edited:
Really Good thread gone bad :(
Not for the first time unfortunately, there are too many threads on here where the first half is full of excellent advice and discussions which then defend into personal attacks and nonsense. Can't everybody just be nice?

I've never supported Garry and I'm certainly no sheep. Yes he has an inclination towards Lencarta, but then again that is his product. Unlike some, I'm capable of filtering the information that he passes on.

However he is generally accurate. Unlike your sweeping comments such as "most professionals use Elinchrom". I strongly suspect that you don't visit professional studios much or haven't had an awful lot of
contact with other professionals. Elinchrom are very much a mid range product!

Goodo. You are starting to learn then!

Blocked, along with a bunch of others. Yep, I'm learning alright.

I am deeply frustrated that it is so difficult to get accurate information from forums in general. Photographers that should be helping each other are more concerned about pushing their favourite gear than giving good advice.

I'm saddened that these forums should be a place where people can come to get ideas and inspiration and leave feeling motivated yet they are populated by trolls who spoil the experience for everyone else.

I'm tired of people who should know better posting "my way or the highway" advice which is too frequently filled with inaccuracies and contradictions.

Last edited:
Blocked, along with a bunch of others. Yep, I'm learning alright.

I am deeply frustrated that it is so difficult to get accurate information from forums in general. Photographers that should be helping each other are more concerned about pushing their favourite gear than giving good advice.

I'm saddened that these forums should be a place where people can come to get ideas and inspiration and leave feeling motivated yet they are populated by trolls who spoil the experience for everyone else.

I'm tired of people who should know better posting "my way or the highway" advice which is too frequently filled with inaccuracies and contradictions.

OK, enough Jenny, I'm sorry, but the only person that comes across as "my way or the highway" in these threads, repeatedly, is you. The person that has the ability to take a discussion away from varying opinions into full blown heated arguments, is so often you.

So, I suggest you might want to look at your own antagonistic style of posting and perhaps consider changing that before expecting an entire forum membership to change into something your opinion thinks they should be.

I am sorry if that is harsh, but the rtm's are now reaching silly proportions.

Edit: for everyone else's benefit, please return to discussing the original topic. thankyou

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back