Spider identification

Edit My Images
Yes
Saw this in our out building,abdomen section is quite big as you can see,I’m pretty sure it isn’t a house spider,has faint orange patterns on back.
Possibly a false widow?.image0.jpeg

Definitely looks like a Tregenaria species to me. Common House Spider. False Widows usually have a much shinier look to them and don't get very big at all.

This photo looks like the little eight legger who decided to take a shower with me yesterday! You won't see a False Widow being much larger than 1cm (without legs) carapace to abdomen and your example also looks far larger. I've added a photo of a house spider from above. You can see very similar patterning to the one in your photo.

This example is a much lighter colour but judging from the size of the abdomen in your photo, that as well as the darker colouration likely indicates a spider close to moulting. Post moult the colour will likely become lighter as in the example photo.

house-spider-two-column.jpg.thumb.768.768.jpg

Definitely not a false widow as they have a shiny carapace usually black. I seem to recall there are a couple house spider varieties one with dark bands on the joints of the legs which is a Hobo house spider(Tegenaria Agrestis) and the other a Giant house spider(Eratigena atrica) like Adams image above.

Edit** Looking at Adam's pic again he might have a Hobo rather than a Giant. Really difficult to tell with low res forum images.

I can't tell from your pic but it is almost definite yours is one of these two species.

Last edited:
Back