Splinter too small to see.

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Got something in me finger off a plant in the garden. slightly painful/irksome if I catch it wrong but I cant actually see it even with a magnifying glass to attempt to get it out. Any thoughts?

Not keen on amputation.

little piece of soap on a plaster, leave overnight and it be drawn out in the morning and you can then pull it out

Seem to remember a little soap and sugar on a plaster will do the trick?

little piece of soap on a plaster, leave overnight and it be drawn out in the morning and you can then pull it out
Seem to remember a little soap and sugar on a plaster will do the trick?

As a child I recall having a warm kaolin poultice for splinter removal pre-treatment. From what little I recall it worked well...........................think it was also used for infected wounds to draw the muck out!

Amputation at the wrist is the only option!

A dab of Magnesium Sulphate paste on a plaster might draw it out, as might a hot kaolin poultice.

Rather than a splinter proper, it's probably a barbed stinging hair (think nettle) so while it'll be a pain in the … finger for a while, it probably won't cause any lasting harm but keep an eye on the site just in case.

You may find it's just irritation following the prick, I had this the other day, thought I'd got a small thorn
but the following day nothing

I get a lot of tiny metal splinters in my hands at work and find the best way to get them out is to scrape across it with a stanley knife blade

Should've checked this last night before I went to bed and tried the soap plaster trick. Still an irritant this morning.

What/where does one get magnesium sulphate paste? chemist thing?

Cheers all.

Last edited:
Should've checked this last night before I went to bed and tried the soap plaster trick. Still an irritant this morning.

What/where does one get magnesium sulphate paste? chemist thing?

Cheers all.

Pharmacies sell small tubs. I have used it with success to eject foreign bodies that were too small to grip with tweezers/ease out with a needle.

A paste made with baking soda is as effective as anything.

A paste made with baking soda is as effective as anything.

And bacon fat (esp. if you use the rest of the packet to make bacon rolls).

If you are hell bent in "howking" the foreign body out and need eye magnification then these jeweller's eyepieces are OK if you can get the bloody thing to stay in place. I glued one to pair of el cheapo reading glasses and it worked fine. A strong light source also helps.

Dragging it out with a sharp blade works fairly well (as @chris954) if you know which way it went in.
I've also dug them out using a pin and the works microscope (my scope has too much magnification & not enough working distance)
When splinters have been too small or deep for that, I've always just made do with occasional cursing. Within a few days it's dealt with...
The poultice idea might be worth remembering!

Back