Sport portraits

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys

I've been wanting to try my hand at these for a few months now so yesterday I asked my mate If I could take some flash portraits of his son.

I've aimed for the moody black and white portraits you see in sports advertising, hence the reason the subject isn't smiling :D

Feel free to rip em (y)

untitled-212.jpg

untitled-82.jpg

untitled19.jpg

untitled-53.jpg

untitled-31.jpg

untitled-43.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

too much space above head in #1 .. otherwise a really really nice set.. they must be pleased as punch with you.. I know I would be if that was my lad.. impressed! :)

Saying there is to much space isn't really a fair way to crit a photo, that could be changed with a click of a button on photoshop.

I think your pictures are great i think they would look better in colour? can we see?

Saying there is to much space isn't really a fair way to crit a photo, that could be changed with a click of a button on photoshop.

are you joking? why shouldnt i crit the composition? and what's how easy it can be fixed got to do with it?

I just don't think its that big a deal enough to comment on it, its such a small thing that isn't really relevant. Sorry if i have upset you.

upset me? whats wrong with you? why are you saying i am upset? you havent a clue how to crit a picture.. tell me off when i do and then say i am upset?

for crying out loud i cant even crit a pic correctly without someone having a pop.. what a joke..

not upset.. just mystified at your posts having a go at me..

I just don't think its that big a deal enough to comment on it, its such a small thing that isn't really relevant. Sorry if i have upset you.

:thinking: It is relevant, the photo would be much better "with the click of a button", especially with the triangle of light through the tree behind the subject, which looks a little odd with the current composition.

@OP Good job I say, maybe the blacks in the background could be a little less crushed, but beyond that, a really nice set. (y)

too much space above head in #1 .. otherwise a really really nice set.. they must be pleased as punch with you.. I know I would be if that was my lad.. impressed! :)

I stand by my post :)

Look i am sorry KIPAX if i have annoyed you. I don't think that such a small thing is worth commenting on. That's what i think.

Saying that i don't no how to crit a photo is fine, but what makes you think you do? Its every so easy to sit in front of a screen and pick apart peoples pictures.

Look i am sorry KIPAX if i have annoyed you. I don't think that such a small thing is worth commenting on. That's what i think.

Saying that i don't no how to crit a photo is fine, but what makes you think you do? Its every so easy to sit in front of a screen and pick apart peoples pictures.

I know how to crit a pic because I know Its perfectly acceptable to crit a picture on the composition

You dont know how to crit a pic because you say "Saying there is to much space isn't really a fair way to crit a photo"

So far you have accused me of being upset, needing to calm down and now your saying I am annoyed.... this is for talking about pictures.. not making snidey remarks at other posters..

What shall i say that will make you happy?

So now I am not happy? what exactly is your problem with me? the thread is about the guys pictures not your fixation with how I am feeling..

Actually, the fist pic has some flash spill over onto the leaves of the bush behind, causing weird shapes to appear above the head and right shoulder of the boy. I'm gussing that's caused by bounce back from the highlighting flash to the rear. It'll be worth just darkening them out.

I'd also agree there's too much space above the subject, something to be aware of next time you are framing.

#4 I'm not sure the flash from behind adds anything and if anything is slightly distracting, #5 looks lit better and I think the composition has a better feel.

It would be interesting to see in colour but I think the B&W conversion works ok.

Brad, Kipax is a sports photographer so is well placed to critique images such as these.

Actually, the fist pic has some flash spill over onto the leaves of the bush behind, causing weird shapes to appear above the head and right shoulder of the boy. I'm gussing that's caused by bounce back from the highlighting flash to the rear. It'll be worth just darkening them out.

Not that it matters, but it's light from the sky between the leaves, not flash. Still probably worth cloning/painting out.

#4 I'm not sure the flash from behind adds anything and if anything is slightly distracting,

I like it. It would be a big dead area of black otherwise, would probably prefer it slightly more into the frame though.

I didn't realize he was a sports photographer

Doesn't really matter. I don't think being a sports photographer is relevant to 'advertising' shots.

Brad, if there is any aspect of any photo that doesn't seem right to the viewer then it is worth mentioning in a critique. The composition of a photos is one of the biggest aspects of it so if that is wrong then the photo is wrong. I can understand why the OP cropped they way they have to preserve the same aspect ratio but looking that first image as a stand alone image it would look better without the black space above the boys head. yes it can be fixed in seconds but it still needs to be fixed if the photo is to be improved.

If the composition of the first photo isn't worth commenting on then what would be your valuable critique of that photo or are you just going to stick with "your pictures are great" which isn't any kind of critique at all.

I think the photos are great like i said, it would be great to see them in color, i don't think there is much else to be said about them in my opinion.
Nothing wrong with that, just don't criticise others for having a different opinion next time.;)

I think the photos are great like i said, it would be great to see them in color, i don't think there is much else to be said about them in my opinion.
So you've critisised Tony for giving some genuine and helpful critique and you're not able to offer any kind of critique yourself. You'll be popular on here if you carry on like that.

hehe there must be something in the air cos every thread I start lately seems to spark some kind of lively debate :D

Anyway cheers for the comments guys. I hadn't actually noticed the light triangle in the first pic, and do agree it would look better with the dead space cropped out.

Brad I'll post the colour versions later when I get home (y)

....and not a wonky horizon in sight.:p

I also would like to see them in colour Phil.

I also would like to see them in colour Phil.

I wouldnt I think they look great in B&W. Agree with Kipax though about #1, does need a bit lopping off the top to improve the composition. If it cant be done now without cropping in at the sides perhaps it should have been framed better in camera.Also think 2 & 4 are a little too tight at the bottom. Reason for pointing this out is if anyone wanted to frame or mount them then it would cut into his feet or be very close. .

I wouldnt I think they look great in B&W. Agree with Kipax though about #1, does need a bit lopping off the top to improve the composition. If it cant be done now without cropping in at the sides perhaps it should have been framed better in camera.Also think 2 & 4 are a little too tight at the bottom. Reason for pointing this out is if anyone wanted to frame or mount them then it would cut into his feet or be very close. .

I agree with you that some are a little tight for framing. I'll make sure I frame better next time, this was more about practicing the lighting (y)

I wouldnt I think they look great in B&W.

I agree with you Graham, but I just wanted to see them in colour....I'm a nosey bugger like that.:LOL:

Would definitely use the B&W instead of the colour ones.

I like both versions Phil, I think that the work you did last year and with the potential to sell images to parent, you need to shoot loose and have the abillity to crop. For example magazine covers or sports card type prints... so in hind sight the extra real estate you have left around the subject is good but to show on here it would have been better to crop it first.

You know at least on here you will get some honest real life crit if it is asked for.

The first three colour ones are great and I like them very much the colours really stand out with the black /dark background..I think I would try something like this at the club I'm attached to.....the last two don't really do it for me....saying that I like all the B/W ones with the exception of the one with the flash showing.

show us more !

Hmmmm, Tug's just given me an idea. May be it's about time that we had another of the 'tech debate' threads about cropping - it's been a while since the last one! :)

Great practice shots Phil. In almost all cases I think that the BW versions work better, but then I assuming you lit them with that in mind anyway. The ones that I do like in colour are 8 & 9, but I still think that the mono has the edge.

Can I ask what your lighting set up was?

I like both versions Phil, I think that the work you did last year and with the potential to sell images to parent, you need to shoot loose and have the abillity to crop. For example magazine covers or sports card type prints... so in hind sight the extra real estate you have left around the subject is good but to show on here it would have been better to crop it first.

You know at least on here you will get some honest real life crit if it is asked for.

The first three colour ones are great and I like them very much the colours really stand out with the black /dark background..I think I would try something like this at the club I'm attached to.....the last two don't really do it for me....saying that I like all the B/W ones with the exception of the one with the flash showing.

show us more !

Cheers Tug and yes I know I get good honest crit on here and its very much appreciated (y)

Not sure why the last two colour shots don't quite have the punch as the first few colour ones :thinking:

Do you think there is potential in these to offer these kind of portraits to local clubs? I'd like to think parents will like them as they are something a little different :)

I offered some family portrait shots to parents to raise some cash for my kids' school. Several of the parents of boys asked for sport-related shots so I'd think there ought to be demand.

Back