Sport portraits

Thats interesting Ian, I think i'll consider offering this to local clubs with maybe a percentage of sales going to the club by way of an incentive for them to have the shoots :)

Here's a few posters of the colour versions.

posters-3.jpg

posters-1.jpg

posters-4.jpg

posters.jpg

posters-5.jpg

Just playing around at the minute (y)

Last edited:
Posters look great Phil and I for one think that both the B&W and colour look great, but I think they would sell better if they were in colour.

Put some up on the notice board Phil and see what the reactions and comments are ....Its a free survey then ! I 'm sure you will definitely get some good response from them...I can't remember if it was Helen who did something similar for a team poster....I'm sure it is somethng that would sell at events. it just getting the time and the setup to do it en-masse.

The most recent ones were by Carol, but Phil had the idea of posters last year I think (albeit composite ones).

Put some up on the notice board Phil and see what the reactions and comments are ....Its a free survey then ! I 'm sure you will definitely get some good response from them...I can't remember if it was Helen who did something similar for a team poster....I'm sure it is somethng that would sell at events. it just getting the time and the setup to do it en-masse.

Think this is what I need to do. It's one thing taking good pics, its quite a different thing to market yourself and make money out of it :thinking:

Thats the problem, is figuring a way I could shoot a whole team quickly and effectively using this set up.

Last edited:
Think this is what I need to do. It's one thing taking good pics, its quite a different thing to market yourself and make money out of it :thinking:

Thats the problem, is figuring a way I could shoot a whole team quickly and effectively using this set up.

Cheapest way:

Lighting set up done, team rotate into the shoot in succession. PS set up with a template of the poster surround, import photo underneath the template layer; job done. Even faster if you are shooting tethered or with WiFi into LR3 with auto import and layers.

More (in one case a lot more) expensive, but simpler way:

Use an Event Photography specific software with green screen technology to fire through the team and create the backdrops almost instantly.

Two of the best on the market are;

Digital Express Darkroom http://darkroomsoftware.com/lm_aboutdarkroom.html
very expensive, but very good

Green Screen Wizard http://www.greenscreenwizard.com/product.aspx
used as either stand alone or a PS plugin

You'll be fine getting through a lot of people as long as you are well planned in advance. I followed Mark's "cheapest way" above with an assistant to organise the queue and another to do the printing there and then. The problems can come when the subjects want to go off-script and do something you are not set up for. I'd suggest sorting out a limited but reasonable range of shots and get the subjects to pick from that menu.

Cheapest way:

Lighting set up done, team rotate into the shoot in succession. PS set up with a template of the poster surround, import photo underneath the template layer; job done. Even faster if you are shooting tethered or with WiFi into LR3 with auto import and layers.

Can you explain the LR3 auto import with layers in more detail? Is there a way in Lightroom to have the text and club badge as a layer with the photo being imported behind?

Nope; you'd still have to run it through PS but LR handles the auto import and levels ready to export to PS as the final editor. The layers part was a bit misleading in that it referred to the final process rather than the import stage! :)

Nope; you'd still have to run it through PS but LR handles the auto import and levels ready to export to PS as the final editor. The layers part was a bit misleading in that it referred to the final process rather than the import stage! :)

Ah that makes sense. Thought I was missing out on what would be a really cool feature of Lightroom :)

I use LR3 for importing and its great for adding develop presets to a lot of images :)

Well said and thanks for that AFC, I was beginning to think that I was the only one who dislikes wonky horizons. Especially when the wonky horizon has allegedly been added to 'create a bit of dynamism'. Or similar tosh !!!

Cheapest way:

More (in one case a lot more) expensive, but simpler way:

Use an Event Photography specific software with green screen technology to fire through the team and create the backdrops almost instantly.

Two of the best on the market are;

Digital Express Darkroom http://darkroomsoftware.com/lm_aboutdarkroom.html
very expensive, but very good

Green Screen Wizard http://www.greenscreenwizard.com/product.aspx
used as either stand alone or a PS plugin

Phil, I use ED ...its a really fantastic piece of software for event type work...It isn't cheap, but you really do see a difference in the speed of workflow.....It has a built in engine for template design and it is so easy once it is set up...I have just discovered another feature that allows you to print the image or the new thing, print to file, so you have a soft copy for later. This can then be printed later and posted or saved for web use...It also has a green screen function built in too

Nice set, he must be chuffed with them.

I personally prefer the B+W, mostly because of losing the ball colour, I find it makes the ball stand out much more in the colour ones. I guess that's the point of the coloured balls, but I know nothing about football!

I think the background in 9 is perfect, something there, but not distracting, it frames the head and shoulders nicely.

Back