sports

Name
ian
Edit My Images
Yes
would the ef-s 17-55is be any good for indoor sports pics where i can get close to the action, i use a 400d.

Cheers Ian

Also depends what camera your using and what the lighting is like..

You will be able to get nice wide angle shots of the action, but for close ups indoor you will need something like a 70 - 200 2.8.

It also depends how far from the action you will be... if you're right by it then you will be fine :)

i do karate, so i can get real close to the side of the area,
i have a 700-200 f4, but thinking of changing to 2.8, just depends if i can afford the IS model or not. or the standard 2.8

i do karate, so i can get real close to the side of the area,
i have a 700-200 f4, but thinking of changing to 2.8, just depends if i can afford the IS model or not. or the standard 2.8

woops meant 70 -200

In this scenario would IS not be of any use?
My understanding is that IS is of no use if shooting moving subjects.

Your 70-200 f4 should be fine - just bump up the ISO if the lighting is lacking.

The lens depends totally on the results you require an ultra wide close to the subject can give some terrific results even at low shutter speeds, if your after images that freeze the fighter you might have to go to 500th but the equipment is fine don't complicate try everything and see what works for you, after all it's not expensive film you're using
Good luck and I look forward to seeing the pics

I would be suprised if F4 was enough and you should get f2.8 if you can ..

IS or standard?

Normaly we say IS is no good for sports as you need a high shutter speed to catch the action.. IS slows the AF and you shouldnt need it if shutter is high anyways..

But with karate and focused on one area they are fighting in the IS could be used as indoors even wiht f2.8 will still need all the help it can get.

I use lenses indoors such as the 135 f2 and the 24-70 f2.8 neither have IS and they work.. So with an f2.8 none IS you would be OK but wiht IS you could be slightly better..

FWIW, I shoot loads of karate and once tried the nikon 70-200vr [same as is basically] and to be honest, made not a blind bit of difference to kumite or catching movement in kata. Helps a little for catching stances in kata and thats it. Might be horses for courses of course, but I personally found it not much use. The F2.8 will be far more useful, a camera that handles noise well, or good noise reduction software even better.

also, 55 is very short even even you can stand on edge of tatame all the time, a longer option might be worth considering.

looks like me forking out for the 2.8 then. i`ll stick with my 28-70 2.8 sigma,
thanks for all your comments guys.

Ian

Back