Stablising light stands outdoors

Name
Christian
Edit My Images
No
Having had my first near miss the other day I was wondering what methods others use to ensure their light stands don't topple over when shooting outdoors?

Cheers,

Chris

Sandbags, weight training weights, heavy stones, water bottles, or tie the stands off to trees if possible...

Having had my first near miss the other day I was wondering what methods others use to ensure their light stands don't topple over when shooting outdoors?

Cheers,

Chris

On soft ground I use large tent pegs at the base of each leg & on hard ground sand bags. If you've got really large stands then perhaps something like this and a canvas strap?

Paul

And a link to my 'local' supplier but you could also google ground anchors for loads of options. The only issue with using pegs/anchors is of course if you need to reposition the stands frequently. If using sand bags I buy play sand to fill them as its stored indoors at the likes of Toys 'r' Us - it is dry, but more costly. When filling the sand bag put something like a freezer bag inside the sand bag and tie it off when full - this ensures the sand stays dry and wont leak out. Never found a zip that didn't pass fine sand and as I use mine both indoors and out I don't want the mess.

Paul

I just generally pile on whatever I can find, although I generally use a heavy-duty tripod instead because of the wider footprint and stronger construction.....

Anybody tried guy ropes? In extremis?

Maybe attached half way up, to a sand bag? Would increase the footprint massively, and reduce leverage.

Paint pot, filled with concrete with a hole in the middle, making an empty tube. Slide this over the stand....

Thanks very much for the replies everyone :)

I think I'll give the homemade sandbags a go.

I've a couple of old fabric backgrounds I don't use that should have a tight enough weave to hold sand in them and I'll make some doughnut shaped sandbags to slip over the stands

I was going to post a question about this last night but forgot so thanks to the op for doing it for me. Get my mother sewing the bags for me, she likes that kind of thing....probably.

ive used a camera bag before , but wouldnt recommend in strong winds , you could always take a strong carrier bag along with you , fill it with stones , soil etc , use it then empty out after :)

I have used my camera bag full of gear! :eek:

Effective in a light breeze but wouldn't risk the kit in a stronger wind.

sandbags.

if windy, LOTS of sandbags.

if you run out of space on your stand for lots of sandbags, you can fill them with old chain or lead weights instead, but generally a bigger stand will be an easier solution, and less backbreaking!

oh, obviously, stands should be sturdy steel ones, not lightweight indoor ones...

sandbags are the default kit for any location lighting, never seen stands tied-down unless left up for several days or at height, and even then its more normal to wrap them at the end of each session anyway.

Sandbag with whatever I can find near by. Random rocks, sand, water bottles etc :)

Hmmm, I'd sooner be a bit more prepared (professional?) myself, last out door shoot I did was in a car park and would only have found a rusty, bent shopping trolley or two ;)

Paul

Hmmm, I'd sooner be a bit more prepared (professional?) myself, last out door shoot I did was in a car park and would only have found a rusty, bent shopping trolley or two ;)

Paul

Strapping a lightstand with a large softbox to that would be like adding a sail. Sounds like fun :D

Sand bags filled with pea shingle, won't leak and is as positionable as sand

Sand bags filled with pea shingle, won't leak and is as positionable as sand
pea shingle is usual damp as its 'bagged' after washing and mostly store outside as I use sand bags indoors and out I certainly wouldn't want a bag of damp shingle indoors - of course you could dry it out, but whose got the time. :D

Paul

Last edited:
pea shingle is usual damp as its 'bagged' after washing and mostly store outside as I use sand bags indoors and out I certainly wouldn't want a bag of damp shingle indoors - of course you could dry it out, but whose got the time. :D

Paul

aquarium gravel is dry and comes sealed in its own heavy-duty bag

I use 1,5l PET bottles (painted black biut thats just cosmetics of course). Two bottles connected with a short rope already lowers the center of gravity signifficantly and 4 bottles are even better of course.

Beside the fact that bottles are cheap, two other advantages are that (in most cases), they can be filled on location - given you have access to water - and six bottles can be carried around in a carrying case.

Paul

Just bring few bottles of water with you. :) Good for sand bags and later can be used as refreshments :D (if you don't get them all dirty etc. that is)

Just bring few bottles of water with you. :) Good for sand bags and later can be used as refreshments :D (if you don't get them all dirty etc. that is)

Once did an outdoor shoot on a cliff-top in Cornwall where the girl holding the 3x6 foot reflector was doing a passable impersonation of a hang-glider - sorry but a few bottles of water just don't cut it. :D

Ground anchors, sand bags, rope...

Paul

Once did an outdoor shoot on a cliff-top in Cornwall where the girl holding the 3x6 foot reflector was doing a passable impersonation of a hang-glider - sorry but a few bottles of water just don't cut it. :D

Ground anchors, sand bags, rope...

Paul

Sounds extreme :eek: and I never said it will work every time. :LOL:

I've heard cheap bags of kitty litter work well if you're out with a supermarket near by :)

Back