'Starburst' effect on street lighting.

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.....been getting ideas and inspiration from here for a long time, first time poster.

Have been inspired by an image depicting London' Tower Bridge in the evening light with the streetlighting giving off a 'starburst' effect. I know that this is caused by the lens' aperture blades.....correct me if i'm wrong but:
6 blades = 6 points to the effect.

How is this achieved...f stop wise?

Many thanks. :)

The star bursts are more pronounced at at higher f stops, so try f.16+. This will lead require a longer exposure time for the rest of the scene so a tripod would be usefull.

It's worth mentioning that some modern lenses have rounded aperture blades, which don't give a very good starburst effect.

Ahh thanks chaps, i'll give it a bash.

Lenses with an even number of aperture blades (n blades = n points on the starburst).

Lenses with an odd number of aperture blades (n blades = 2n points on the starburst).

Yeah Graphilly, i knew there was a formulae for it. Thanks

There's a good summary article here with diagrams and hints/tips.

Bob

Really interesting article (y)

ooooh thanks for this, gonna have a play and see if I can nail this for some Christmas photos

I remember when starburst filters used to be almost fashionable, although even back then (late '70s) they were seen as a bit naff! I think I have a Cokin A series 6 point one in the back of a drawer somewhere - keep an eye out for another freebie thread in the FS section.

ooooh thanks for this, gonna have a play and see if I can nail this for some Christmas photos

Thats an idea.....might try it on my xmas tree lights. :LOL:
Thinking of doing a trip to London for the weekend or Blackpool for the Illuminations. :D

Back