Step down filter rings

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
What, if any, would be the problems in using a 77 - 72 step down ring to mount a polariser filter? Would it depend on the lens?

What, if any, would be the problems in using a 77 - 72 step down ring to mount a polariser filter? Would it depend on the lens?

It would be more likely that the rim of the filter would appear in the image.

But if you're using a crop body, it may not make any difference as only the centre of the lens is used.

But if you're using a crop body, it may not make any difference as only the centre of the lens is used.

I think you'll find that all the lens is used but only the centre of the resultant image is used.

Bob

I think you'll find that all the lens is used but only the centre of the resultant image is used.

Bob

I think Bob is right.

To answer the OP, it depends very much on the lens. Generally speaking wide angles often need every mm they can get, while longer lenses are less critical. But it also depends on the construction, and some lenses just have wider/narrower filter mounts than others, often just to take them up/down to the next popular size.

Which way are you stepping down?

1. 77mm filter down to a lens with 72mm thread
2. 72mm filter up to a lens with 77mm thread

If 1 you shouldn't see any issues
If 2 you may see some vignetting

Steve

Number 2 is what I was thinking about. If I got, say, a wide angle zoom with a 77mm thread and wanted to use my 72mm filter.

You would probably notice some vignetting on the wide angle end as they can be quite prone to vignetting. Your best bet would be just to just get some larger filters although that can be quite expensive when your talking about 77mm filters.

(Nice to see another photographer from Enniskillen on here too!)

Back