Steppe Grey Shrike

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Whilst in Norfolk last week on holiday, I was told about this very rare and scarce visitor to this country, A Steppe Grey Shrike. I had never heard of it before so it was nice to get an image of a rarity. However from the amount of photographers and bird watchers that were there taking photo's of this bird, I'm surprised no one else as posted a picture of it before. [Well I don't think they have ].View attachment 23211

John, that good that you saw it …… the background compliments the colours of the bird and it's an interesting pose with good balanced light ……. it is pleasing as is but it would be maybe try a couple more interpretations of the composition in the other size formats, say 2 x 3 as (we) don't get many chances to see this bird

I would be really happy just to see the bird, never mind get a shot of it

Thanks for posting, good shot, well done

sub species of the Southern Grey, (Lanius meridionalis)

L. m. pallidirostris
Cassin, 1852 – C Asia from NW Caspian Sea (extreme S Russia) and S Kazakhstan E to Mongolia and N China and, in W, S to NE Iran, Afghanistan, N Pakistan and W foothills of Tien Shan.
Info HBW

It looks to me, and the info on the internet, that maybe it is the first time it's been recorded in the UK

Last edited:
I agree with Bill - like how the background compliments the bird's colours. Really nice shot (cute little thing!) :)

There have been over 20 records of Steppe grey shrike. in the UK , it is now a separate Species.

A nice shot, maybe just a gnats nudger under exposed.

There have been over 20 records of Steppe grey shrike. in the UK , it is now a separate Species.

A nice shot, maybe just a gnats nudger under exposed.

Are all the sightings, the same bird this year Nigel

Back