Stolen Hockey pic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Darran
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

Some of you may know I take photographs at the Belfast Giants Ice Hockey games over here just as a fan from high up in the stands.

Today I was sent a link to The Newcastle Vipers website

http://www.vipershockey.co.uk/latest...rcus-is-coming

Now when I saw that I though it looked very familiar so I checked my Flickr photos and hey presto

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrang...93230/sizes/l/

They have used my photo without asking my permission or contacting me in anyway.

This photo is on flyers and poster around Newcastle and being used to promote the up coming game. You can even download a copy of it on their site.

Now for a start since I sit high up and only shoot with an F4L lens the quality isn't that great but still to me it doesn't matter.

Can I do anything about this or is it tough luck since I uploaded onto a site where anyone can view and use download pictures?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I would send them an invoice for use of the photo. They are clearly aiming to profit from its use, so should you.

If you can prove it is your photo (and sure as heck looks like it), then quote them your price for the use of the image - and send them an invoice.

Make sure you get a web-clipping of the page to yourself before, so they can't remove the photo after you contact them and claim not to have published it.

I would also ask where they found the photo, and ask why did they not contact you to ask for a permission to use it. AS I am sure you would have had no problem letting them use it - for a fee of course.

These sort of incidents are the reason why I won't share my shots at Flickr (or anywhere without watermarks...).

Depends on what you want out the situation, namely whether you want them to purchase any more photo's in the future off you and do some business? I would certainly give them a call and discuss the situation in any case being polite yet firm and then send the invoice out.

Hi Darren,first thing you should do is go to your Flikr account & disable downloads!.;- go to- you/your account/privacy & permission & set "only you" for downloading & also the printing
I would then give the Team a call & ask for an explination why they have used a copyrighted photo without permission on their web site & that you will be sending them a bill for usage. If they will not pay then instruct them to remove the image immediately. Kind regards Graham.

It appears their main sponsor is a firm of solicitors :LOL:

Put everything in writing - don't phone. Just fire off an invoice.

closing dupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back