Stolen image ?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this shot on Saturday at a local cross country race, I sent them to the race organisors webmaster giving him permission to to use it and others on their site. today I was visiting another athletics site http://www.athletics-leics.com/cross_country.html?CPID=7e0e3fc9a871dcf9c41f978fb8305c57
cropped but familiar? I contacted the webmaster at the race site and he had not been approached by the other site about this image.
NMXC22.jpg

Thats not good.

Personally I would copyright it with a water mark, and also put your copyright and usage terms in the exif (ie no usage without your written permission etc etc) and put your full contact details in the exif.

Then their is no excuse for anyone to use the image saying they didnt know who's it was or how to contact you.

I you have done this already, sorry.

Mark

Thanks for the advice. I have e.mailed the site requesting a credit or removal of the image. I know it's not the best photo but it's the principle.
mho01, yes I will be doing this in future, once bitten etc.

Congratulations by the way on getting it stolen in the 1st place

They must have thought it was either better than any they had, or better than any others around that they could have stolen :D

Well Done :clap:

Thats one way to look at it.:LOL:

I know exactly how you feel although my theft has been used for less prestigous purouse. One of the autocross racers has lifted a pic off my site and is using it to advertise their car being for sale. Necky bastads. Hope you get some money out of them Stece or atleast some credit.

Indeed. I suppose congratulations are in order that it's been used, but commiserations in the way it's been done.

Nowadays there is no valid excuse for using an image like that. If they don't know how to get hold of you, they shouldn't use it, etc etc.

I would have personally just sent them an invoice. ;) No requests for credit or take it down. Just an invoice with your fees. They know they're using it, they know they should expect to pay. Simple as.

Agreeing with Marcel on this.
If they don't get back to you hit them with a solicitor's letter. It's theft, pure and simple.

Hmmm... Credit's better than nothing, but cash is best.

Once again thank you for the advice, I will certainly be a little more careful in future.
I got a reply from the site they said they were not aware that it was a commercial image, so I explained that despite what they think the copyright is mine. they have now given me a credit, which is all I would have asked for had they sought permission. They also offered to pay a fee if I required it, I declined.
I must admit this whole affair has left me a little shocked, although I have read of others in this position I never thought it would happen to me. You live and learn

Ahh well there you see is the problem, commercial. They obviously thought that no one would notice that they'd used it, therefore its not commercial. Rather its only commercial if you pay to use it, which they didn't. Now my heads going round :wacky:

What a load of B*ll*cks!

Tell them a credit's fine but if you'd been a pro, you'd be suing the a** off the lot of them.
No-one running a website these days can operate without some basic knowledge of copyright issues - they'd be closed down in a month...

What a load of B*ll*cks!

Tell them a credit's fine but if you'd been a pro, you'd be suing the a** off the lot of them.
No-one running a website these days can operate without some basic knowledge of copyright issues - they'd be closed down in a month...

I agree with your comment re. copyright but from reading posts on a few forums this is, unfortunately, not an isolated incident.

You would be suprised, I work for a large hosting company and we see it all too often. Some people dont seem to realize what they are doing is wrong, and the others that do know they are in the wrong think they can get away with it due to the net being as big as it is with so many sites that its no possible for the image owners to be able to check every site.

Not so long a go I found one of my pictures being used on Ebay by a seller to sell his Nikon F100......when I emailed to kindly advise him of the copyright he replied by saying "thanks I will consult my solicitor" :thinking:

Always nice to have a picture used namllihs but not stolen like that :nono:

A couple of years back someone linked to a CGi image of mine from my website. I discovered it only by looking at the logs for my site. I emailed the person and asked them to either cease or add a credit. No response so after a week I changed the image they were linking to one that was just text saying something ever so slightly offensive :)

Back