Storm Chasing

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a bit of lightning tonight, went out in the ar to try and find a spot to take some piccies but by the time I got there it had moved too quickly. Tried to chase it but was just guessing where it was going really..

Anyone experienced with this sort of thing or know any useful websites/resouces which can help if we get this weather again? Really fasinated by lightning/storms.

Any help appriciated! Thanks!

Me too .. well, not had any lightning tonight, but love to try to photograph it. So far, it's just a case of being in the right place, at the right time, lots of patience. A tripod, settings ready to go .. cup of tea and biscuits on the side ;)

Next time we have a storm, I've got my camera mostly in continuous shooting mode so I'll probably just keep my finger on the shutter release so that it just keeps going in the hope that it captures something.

I've also got a D3100 .. and your title made me giggle, my daughter is named Storm and I find I spend all day chasing her ..

Not sure if you've already been on the TORRO site but it could help with the where and when. :) http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php Today (as it's now after midnight) looks like it could be fun for some people!
Storm chasing (properly in the US) is on my list of things to do at some point. Just need to find money and a crazy friend to go with.

Not sure if you've already been on the TORRO site but it could help with the where and when. :) http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php Today (as it's now after midnight) looks like it could be fun for some people!
Storm chasing (properly in the US) is on my list of things to do at some point. Just need to find money and a crazy friend to go with.

Now theres a gal after my own heart. Storm chasing in the US looks and sounds amazing and i for one will try at least once in my lifetime to chase storms for a while. The adrenalin and experience of getting so close to danger without a care in the world....cant wait.

Me too .. well, not had any lightning tonight, but love to try to photograph it. So far, it's just a case of being in the right place, at the right time, lots of patience. A tripod, settings ready to go .. cup of tea and biscuits on the side ;)

Next time we have a storm, I've got my camera mostly in continuous shooting mode so I'll probably just keep my finger on the shutter release so that it just keeps going in the hope that it captures something.

I've also got a D3100 .. and your title made me giggle, my daughter is named Storm and I find I spend all day chasing her ..

I'm no expert, but wouldn't a longer single exposure be better? As in when there's a storm go somewhere dark, compose your pic and use bulb mode or a long shutter speed to capture the lightning. I've seen fork lightning in the passed which has had 1 'fork' then a second a fraction later which you might not get in burst mode.

Even set for a massive under exposure the lightning will still be bright enough to be captured I reckon. Only thing to be careful of is other light getting into and spoiling the image.

Just my thoughts, but I reckon with a long shutter speed you'd have more chance than in continuous shooting mode.

Neil

You could look at buying/building an optical (directional) lightning detector with a camera release facility.
You mount it on the camera, and every time lightning strikes... *click*.
I've seen some shots posted by folks who've done this, and they're impressive.

Had a bit of lightning tonight, went out in the ar to try and find a spot to take some piccies but by the time I got there it had moved too quickly. Tried to chase it but was just guessing where it was going really..

Anyone experienced with this sort of thing or know any useful websites/resouces which can help if we get this weather again? Really fasinated by lightning/storms.

Any help appriciated! Thanks!

Can't help with the taking pictures part, but if you wan't a good spot thats close to you for pictures, take yourself up to Turners Hill just south of Dudley. You can see the storms coming in from miles away up there. If your really lucky one of the 2 radio masts up there might get struck while your near them. Had that happen once when I was up there, what an experience, just didn't have a camera with me to get the photo though :(

I use this for detecting storms (little red x's shows up when strikes are occuring):

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

And from there on, it's really a case of knowing where you are, having a little bit of meteorological know-how (knowing whether atmospheric conditions are conductive for storm developments and extrapolating the speed and course of those storm clouds as well as working out the rate of development and decay).
Statistically, most thunderstorms over here at this time of the year are heat-related so they tend to form from mid-afternoon and into the evening as the sun gets going.
The all nighter-types are often associated with high level low pressure systems (not reliant on surface heating) connected with a "Spanish Plume" type set up.

This is really something I'd love to do, but not had the chance so far.

I've heard too that a long exposure can do a really good job capturing lightning. I just wish I had more know-how about storms, because I'd love to have a go!

Maybe one day...

I am gonna have to try this one day because it looks exciting, Also getting a good lightning shot is something i am still trying to do.

Back