Stourhead in the Autumn

Absolutely stunning. I was debating going to Stourhead after work this afternoon, but I wasn't sure what the trees would be like as I haven't been there for a while. You've just convinced me! I love the lighting in the first one and I think the tree on the island looks great against the grey clouds in the second shot.

#1 is the best one though it is wonky needs a ACW rotation love the colours and the way it is lit though.

#2 the tree in the middle is so bright it just holds my attention until I get bored and then don't look around the image further. I would be tempted to reduce the brightness and push it over to the left more as there is nothing really going on over there.

I really like the softness of the autumnal colour in the first one. As Bryn said it's a bit slopping to the right though.

I like the second one very much...such a lovely scene.

The first is also a great scene, but there's just something "off" about it, and I can't put my finger on what that is.
If it comes to me I'll add!! :loL:

Lovely photographs. The first one has wonderful light and colours and a painting-like quality which looks superb as though it could have come from the late 18th century. There is something slightly uncomfortable about the bridge, I would like to see a it more of the left side of it and for the horizon to be further up in the frame.

The second one is a classic and as above, I would like to see the horizon somewhere near the middle of the frame.

I'm only viewing them on an iPad at the moment but to my eyes a couple of compositional tweaks is all that would be needed to lift them that little bit.

First one for me. Not overly keen on the second.

Brilliant. Got SO little out of today's walk. Think that in the first one, the bridge needs to be ABOVE the line of the lake in the background. Probably doesn't make sense and there is no way of changing it, and it does look a tiny bit wonky. I managed quite a few of the dog and a leaf!

:( I was supposed to be going there today but I have a banging head and full of cold and a temperature .
Never been but the colours look great.
Nice couple of shots :)

Cheers for the comments, it all helps!

For those of you commenting on the top image being a bit wonky, are you talking about the bridge specifically, as it is wonky (one sides higher than the other)

Totally agree on wanting to see more of the bridge, unfortunately I'd need either a ladder or cherry lift to get it.. I've seen a national trust image that has more of the bridge and was stood there trying to work out how they got it and came to that conclusion...I was hoping to get a nice reflection of the bridge but sadly this wasn't possible...

If anyone is after autumn colours there I'd give it another 4 or 5 days and the leaves should really be turning then...

The bottom image is a bit so-so... it's part of a mini project, I've got the same image from the same spot taken in the Spring and Summer and now Autumn... going to go back if we get any snow this year to complete the set...

Last edited:
Excellent!
I really want to get down there but it looks like I need to make it soon, i.e in the next couple of days.

Two good images showing off the colour of autumn really well :)

Back