Street Photography: Nailing it.

Documentary.

Maybe. But its important to learn about the art, find inspiration and understand it. If you want to do good street photography you're going to have to learn about it. If you want to be happy then buy a 600mm f/2.8 and stand 5 miles away in a hotel room.

Pete I do not think I mentioned using a howitzer but what ever floats your boat..

OK, so I didn't actually mean that bit! :(

Did I not reply? :D If not, my intentions failed!!! Sorry mate, I read it all and loved it. ANd thank you for taking the time.

How the heck did I do that...

Gary.

I'll wait and see if you still feel that way after you've had a wander along the Briggait with your D700 next week ;)

Come to think of it, if you do venture down there I'll probably be able to buy your D700 at Paddy's Market about 10 minutes later :LOL:

even better, my d700 is a d3 :D

OK, really, I didn't know there was such a thing as street photography. Granted, I have a very limited photographic education, most of it being from personal experience, but this is a new genre/style to me - I love it. Some of the shots linked in this thread typify my favorite style. Had I only known earlier...

Here is my favorite "street" shot from my own collection. C&C welcome.

Great thread...or at least it's on its way, I think.

HCSP or the hardcore street photography group is a great place to start if your looking to get in to the genre. Obviously theres alot of people into it but the group really pics the cream of the crop, their photo pool is heavily curated with only the 'best' getting in.

(I know 'the best' is subjective but some of the mods/admins of the group have worked with magnum on a couple of major projects so they tend to know a bit!)

There are no rules but i thought this was quite a nice summary posted on HCSP discussion

Street photographers:
... never use long lenses.
... never shoot homeless people or street performers.
... never use flash, even if it would be necessary.
... always use flash, even when it`s unnecessary.
... avoid sunsets and butterfly's.
... walk at least 25 miles per day.
... do not care about people, they just take their pictures.
... shout at people, when asked what they are doing.
... think that the street belongs to everybody, especially to the street photographers.
... think that the constitution of Britain should have a paragraph to protect them.
... start to tremble and get out of control when being separated from the camera.

Ok so thats a bit of a gimmick but you get the idea!

Most importantly, NEVER EVER EVER EVER use a long lens. You would never use a 300 to shoot a child portrait cos you would be completely disassociated with the subject the same goes for street work.

Really do look at HCSP pool theres so much more to it than shooting a tilted frame of a homeless bloke!

Just about the greatest street photograph I think I've ever seen here. He's got a whole collection of wonderful stuff, too.

Completely true blinkerz as have i, and there are thousands of brilliant shots that have been its just its what loads of people do and if your just starting out homeless people are an easy target. They are quite interesting and usually arn't that bothered! Try something different, experiment was really what i was going for when i posted that

If you look at most of the contradictions in the rules you can see there are no real 'rules' its all a bit tongue in cheek!

Pete I do not think I mentioned using a howitzer but what ever floats your boat..

;) I was of course taking the mick a bit but I do feel that there is a danger in telling people to do what they want and be happy. There are unofficial guidelines to street photography. Its such a flimsy area of photography that it needs them. Architecture, shoot a building. Landscapes, shoot fields. In the same way you tell people to shoot a landscape with a tripod, f/13 and golden hour you tell people to shoot street with a 50mm, f/8 and get stuck in.

There are no rules but i thought this was quite a nice summary posted on HCSP discussion

Street photographers:
... never use long lenses.
... never shoot homeless people or street performers.
... never use flash, even if it would be necessary.
... always use flash, even when it`s unnecessary.
... avoid sunsets and butterfly's.
... walk at least 25 miles per day.
... do not care about people, they just take their pictures.
... shout at people, when asked what they are doing.
... think that the street belongs to everybody, especially to the street photographers.
... think that the constitution of Britain should have a paragraph to protect them.
... start to tremble and get out of control when being separated from the camera.

Hahaha. I love that. Its so true. My D700 doesn't have a hand grip and I can't live with my camera slung over my shoulder. It has to be in my hand, finger on shutter button. Even when out shopping with friends / family. Cam in hand, primed. Taking it off your shoulder takes too long.

ive shot a homeless bloke before, i dont see why people say there is rules. I think the wonderful thing about photography is that we see the world differently and that you dont have to conform to any specifics..

Homeless people are a cliche. "Oooh its a homeless person, I'm being arty, gritty, and in your face with the realisim of the street." No, you're just doing what everyone else has done. (I probably have too) Its all too easy to photograph the run down looking man on the street. The real challenege in street is to photograph that moment before its gone without interrupting it.

There are specifics you sort of have to conform to in photography though. Well, maybe not specifics more of guidelines. Motorsport, panning. Landscapes, stones in foreground with mountain in background at sunset. Architecture, wideish angle with good verticals at dusk. The greats are the ones who see past those preconceptions but for the rest of us its handy to have a list of tips on how to get the job done.

Hi this is a great thread and I am also really interested in street photography. I must admit my first and only shot has been of what I assume to be a beggar. I did take it so that his face was not shown, my point in the photo was to catch the legs of folk walking past rather than identify the unfortunate gent!

You can view it here http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo355/scottkip/IMG_0038.jpg

I know its not a great but it was my first attempt, I was intrigued as this was in Las Vegas and very few people gave the poor guy any cash. I also liked the light coming through the railings.

Anyway hope for more advice, info etc for this subject and thanks to the OP for starting.

Welcome to the forum mate - and thats Pete, you will get used to his butally honest manner. Its all for show, he's a fluffy pink teddy on the inside :)

Everyone, thanks for taking the time. Will catch up more when home, at the in laws having tea at the moment.

Gary.

there tends to be alot of cliche with homeless people, but i dont think thats any different from other genres, such as cityscapes where people take the tourist snaps of the famous landmarks, doesnt mean you should walk on by..

In my opinion you should walk on by! Why even bother taking a photo of the same land mark from exactly the same location and angle as everyone else! It makes me cringe when groups of people (some with half decent cameras) stand in a tight knit group taking a generic picture of a tourist land mark!

Besides we are not tourists we are photographers!

there tends to be alot of cliche with homeless people, but i dont think thats any different from other genres, such as cityscapes where people take the tourist snaps of the famous landmarks, doesnt mean you should walk on by..

I have the impression that a lot of people get into photography with the cliche shots, then move on to more creative compositions. I did the opposite - started out hating cliche shots, until someone asked me to take scenic cityscapes for them.....

Maybe so. I always said in my early days of competition entering on OcUK that I only when I had burned through the cliched ideas I had that I would start to get something worth entering. I guess its ok to get the cliches out the way so you really start to think. By telling people not to shoot the homeless you're telling to try and start thinking.

In my opinion you should walk on by! Why even bother taking a photo of the same land mark from exactly the same location and angle as everyone else!

Because its still easy to get a unique shot

3056771195_44d35033be_o.jpg

Gary.

Because its still easy to get a unique shot

Agreed. I keep returning to photograph the "done to death" spots in Liverpool because I'm still trying to get that one perfect shot. Its not possible but I keep trying. 2 years ago I got *the* shot, an actual unique and fresh take on a tourist spot. 2 years later and that whole area has changed presenting yet another new shot to take. In another year it will be different again as the buildings might be completed.

Good read. Personally, for me, street is now contextual photography taking photos of things that I like, from people to shape and form, to bicycles chained up. If I like what I see, I shoot it. It is hard to put it into words but I will let some recent street photos I did do the talking. The second lot are film on a 30 year old camera.

I prefer to call it street portrait now as some are set up where I stop and talk to the subject, others are candid snaps. I too dont shoot long often (no lens now anyway) as that is not part of street. 50mm is ideal, but having 85 in a zoom in the bag is good. If some people need to shoot long due to confidence then fair enough. I concur on the homeless thing, but to a degree that is the evolution of a photographer and a person. If you can connect with someone and get a decent photo then good on you as time and time again, in my opinion, sometimes the irony is that the photographer will be the only person to talk to the subject that day - or at least give them the time of day. Taking a street photo you love is like the first time you nail the shot in any style, sport, landscape, motors, strobist - it is just that some people don't get or enjoy street. However, personally, despite having covered some mental stuff sport wise, nothing comes close to nailing a decent street photo. This is my most successful street photo. It paid for a £1k lens.

2202770620_651fde6c58.jpg

I 'think' that there are many variables involved in answering your question and it can depend on where you are but for now, the best tip I can offer you is to shoot street during the day on a Saturday, people are far more relaxed on this day than any other. Will think about some answers and add more as and when.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=82103&highlight=bristol

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=45428&highlight=bristol

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=99228

;) I was of course taking the mick a bit but I do feel that there is a danger in telling people to do what they want and be happy. There are unofficial guidelines to street photography. Its such a flimsy area of photography that it needs them. Architecture, shoot a building. Landscapes, shoot fields. In the same way you tell people to shoot a landscape with a tripod, f/13 and golden hour you tell people to shoot street with a 50mm, f/8 and get stuck in.

I thought the mention of a howitzer was rather good for me.... I know where you were coming from pete, I just sometimes find a busy place and sit with a midrange lens, it quite comical to watch the pompous masses of london amble on past doing their day rituals.

I do it like that some times other times its with a prime, some people might not have the minerals to get right in someone face and take the shot.

Cheers

Nigel

Sorry Gary,Been a hard day and am tired so not read all pages,so if it's been said forgive please.

An article I read ages ago was by an old hack that liked to take his little compact camera out on the streets ,it made him stand out less and he could get more natural shots .

To me ,when people see a big camera ,they start to pose or turn away,and I like a more natural shot.

I don't do much myself,as I am to self concious..........:shake:

ive shot a homeless bloke before, i dont see why people say there is rules. I think the wonderful thing about photography is that we see the world differently and that you dont have to conform to any specifics..

It doesn't look like a street shot.
Its a shot of a street scene yes, but it looks detached, like taken from a passing car or at distance or......I dunno, there's a barrier there between tog and subject.....:shrug:
There are no rules, but some things just are what they are, you can't change them just by taking a non-conformist stance.

.....2 years later and that whole area has changed presenting yet another new shot to take. In another year it will be different again as the buildings might be completed.

I think this is what is exciting about street, although the changes are made in fractions of a second rather than years, its the same thing.

So I may as well start with some questions! :)

Meyerowitz is great....again

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Motion-Id on flickr yet. A quick look through some of his street stuff will answer a lot of Gary's questions.

Street photography conforms to all the rules of photography - landscape, motorsport, portrait, whatever. Its always about nailing the composition, the light and the moment. You still need to pay attention to the rule of thirds. You still need to watch where the light's coming from. And you need to be in the right place at the right time.

Sure, you need the vision and the equipment - fast lens with decent bokeh will always help - but I guess most of all you just need to get out there and do it.

Now if someone could pass me the cojones, then I'd demonstrate. I find street photography really difficult to do. It makes me feel self conscious and I hate the fact that I'm drawing attention to myself. I applaud anyone who can make a decent job of it. Its not easy.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Motion-Id on flickr yet. A quick look through some of his street stuff will answer a lot of Gary's questions.

Street photography conforms to all the rules of photography - landscape, motorsport, portrait, whatever. Its always about nailing the composition, the light and the moment. You still need to pay attention to the rule of thirds. You still need to watch where the light's coming from. And you need to be in the right place at the right time.

Sure, you need the vision and the equipment - fast lens with decent bokeh will always help - but I guess most of all you just need to get out there and do it.

Now if someone could pass me the cojones, then I'd demonstrate. I find street photography really difficult to do. It makes me feel self conscious and I hate the fact that I'm drawing attention to myself. I applaud anyone who can make a decent job of it. Its not easy.

I'm never out of his page, he inspires me hugely. He is AWESOME.

Gary.

This is a great thread, I have read it & will hopefully take on board some of the tips offered.

I have been going out with my camera recently (yesterday) trying "street photography" and I am slowly getting more confident, I find my biggest stumbling block is actually having the confidence to get close to the people. I pretty sure with time though I will get there!(y)

Regards Spence

This is a great thread, I have read it & will hopefully take on board some of the tips offered.

I have been going out with my camera recently (yesterday) trying "street photography" and I am slowly getting more confident, I find my biggest stumbling block is actually having the confidence to get close to the people. I pretty sure with time though I will get there!(y)

Regards Spence

One of my main problems too mate, its very hard.

Garry,
Did you manage to catch the brilliant BBC documentary The Genius of photography in the 4th episode there is an interview with Joel Meyerowitz in regards to street photography and his work.
He talks about living in the moment, if you can see in 1/1000 th of a second and capture the moment never to be seen again.
There is also a review of Garry Winogrand and the work he produced.

Well worth a look if you haven't already seen it.:clap:

Garry,
Did you manage to catch the brilliant BBC documentary The Genius of photography in the 4th episode there is an interview with Joel Meyerowitz in regards to street photography and his work.
He talks about living in the moment, if you can see in 1/1000 th of a second and capture the moment never to be seen again.
There is also a review of Garry Winogrand and the work he produced.

Well worth a look if you haven't already seen it.:clap:

No afraid not :( Going to try and find it online.

As amazing as motionid is, he focuses on the person. You don't need amazing gear with fast lenses. Lots of street photographers shoot at f/8, focus to infinity and dive in.

As amazing as motionid is, he focuses on the person. You don't need amazing gear with fast lenses. Lots of street photographers shoot at f/8, focus to infinity and dive in.

Interesting thread though I admit to not having read it all yet, but isn't that the point of 'street', that there different approaches and it's what gives people, or rather their shots, individuality. Some prefer to concentrate on the people, and have a particular style of doing that, others prefer the street as a whole covering the whole gamut of what life in that street at that moment is about, either in microscosm or on a larger scale.

I don't do enough street photography to be able to say for sure whether there are any 'rules' other then the usual 'technical' ones photographically [composition, light, etc]. My lens of choice is a 50-150 F2.8, or the 18-70, for flexibility, simply because people aren't always exactly where you want them to be at that moment you can see the shot. Currently looking for nice 28mm or similar for a bit more width as last time I tried it with a 50mm it was just too limiting, too narrow on a cropped sensor for my liking.

I don't think I will ever be a totally natural street photographer, though I do sometimes feel I get less of a hard time pointing a camera than fellas, but ultimately its all about confidence - if you look like you are meant to be doing it, people accept it. Look shifty and furtive [otherwise known as nervous as hell] and and you will stand out, or if you don't, you will certainly feel like you do thus your ability to just point and shoot is much slower, fumbling with controls and so on. I would also reiterate what DG said, shooting on a weekend is often far easier, having tried both weekends and weekdays. People are more relaxed and natural - hell Saturday nights are a doddle :LOL: Now all I have to do is get my street photography up to his incredible level (y)

Anyway, thats my contribution and if those pesky customers give me half an hours peace later in the day, I might get to read the whole thread in detail. :D

Regards Spence

The problem with getting close to people is that everyone changes when they realize they're in front of a camera - by expression, action, etc. The longer lenses shouldn't be so easily shunned - the candid shot is incredibly more difficult with a 28mm or 50mm.

There's also nothing wrong with taking the close-up and catching that surprised look. Forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission, or something like that.

Back