Street Photos with Nikon 85mm 1.4G

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a nice day off today. So I decoded to take the new lens for a spin in Peterborough city centre today with Damien (Slimbert). Street Photography is a bit harder in Peterborough as there aren't that many SLRs about. So, after a couple of pints......

1) Yoof.

5002185720_08419ea267_z.jpg

2) Free Literature.....

5002187896_0dcaf16c53_z.jpg

3) Why so coy...?

5001587475_ba3dce755f_z.jpg

4) Costa, Costa

5001593185_33ff615f03_z.jpg

5) Waiting

5001589149_b97c66947b_z.jpg

6) Buzz Girls

5001591187_6a14f9f0a6_z.jpg

Hope you like them :)

Really need to learn how to process pictures like this, it really does help to convey the images across.

Costa Costa especially (y)

All look really good to me, mate, especially 1 & 4 - what PP did you do on No 4, it's very appealing with its slightly muted colours? (y)

They're really good feller, nice processing throughout, need to get your reflection out of the door in 5 though... lol!

That lens is on my wish list... I take it you're pleased with it?

4 and 5 for me (y) lovely processing.

Go on then - I'll tell you my recipe for 4 and 5. Obviously tweak to suit....

(These are the settings that change from default in LR)

blacks = +13
clarity = +25
vibrance = +100
saturation = -50

Curves Lights = +9 (tad more maybe....)
Curves darks = -5

Split Toning Highlights hue 70 saturation 28
Split Toning Shadows hue 240 saturation 28

Sharpening amount 40

Vignette to suit.

The key points are adjustments to vibrance, saturation and split toning.

Try it - let me know if it doesn't work.

And if you get rich remember Ryanyboy ;)

I agree, 1 & 4 are superb, this lens looks like it's going to live up to the hype.

Fair play to you for sharing the PP technique as well.

Yup, wonderful shots indeed; and a fantastic lens there ... do rub it in :p

The skin tones reminds me of the work by another TP member (Blinkers), he gets the very same tones and bokeh. It's something I'd love to be able to mimic.

I wish you did a shot by shot comparison between the AF-S and AF-D version of this lens. I know it wouldn't be easy, but I would have loved to see real world results.

Wonderful series, thank you for posting these (y)

They're really good feller, nice processing throughout, need to get your reflection out of the door in 5 though... lol!

That lens is on my wish list... I take it you're pleased with it?

I know - what's worse is Slimbert's reflection is on the left of frame. He wasn't shooting her though. At least he better not have been......:annoyed: :LOL:

I tried to blur me out but I wouldn't blur enough. Eh ho.........

The lens is a stunner - the sharpest lens I've EVER used wide open. Period.

Go on then - I'll tell you my recipe for 4 and 5. Obviously tweak to suit....

(These are the settings that change from default in LR)

blacks = +13
clarity = +25
vibrance = +100
saturation = -50

Curves Lights = +9 (tad more maybe....)
Curves darks = -5

Split Toning Highlights hue 70 saturation 28
Split Toning Shadows hue 240 saturation 28

Sharpening amount 40

Vignette to suit.

The key points are adjustments to vibrance, saturation and split toning.

Try it - let me know if it doesn't work.

And if you get rich remember Ryanyboy ;)

Oh wow, thank you so much for posting this :notworthy:

I can now assure you, I'll be spending the whole of tomorrow testing this out with a good collection of my own shots.

Fantastic, (y)(y)(y)

I agree, 1 & 4 are superb, this lens looks like it's going to live up to the hype.

Fair play to you for sharing the PP technique as well.

Thanks mate. It is a cracking lens. But why did Nikon have to go and tease me with yet another (potential) cracking 1.4 prime (35mm). I've sold all the organs I can, the cooker, my bed, tv, stereo, carpets, wall paper, hair, teeth, soul to the devil......

Oh wow, thank you so much for posting this :notworthy:

I can now assure you, I'll be spending the whole of tomorrow testing this out with a good collection of my own shots.

Fantastic, (y)(y)(y)

You're very welcome Wail.

I'm not familiar with Mr "blnkers" so I'll go check him out.

Thanks for the feedback (y)

1 is good but I like 5 best, but I am a sucker for the pretty ladies!!!!

Super sharp though, what apertures were these typically?

Thanks mate. It is a cracking lens. But why did Nikon have to go and tease me with yet another (potential) cracking 1.4 prime (35mm). I've sold all the organs I can, the cooker, my bed, tv, stereo, carpets, wall paper, hair, teeth, soul to the devil......

You had the 85 AF-D version, didn't you? If so, how do they compare? I'll be going for the AF-D, it's been on my hit list for ages and I'll get one after the 70-200. The 35 looks a fine lens too, I'll be going for the f/2 version though otherwise I can kiss goodbye to my marriage :D

You had the 85 AF-D version, didn't you? If so, how do they compare? I'll be going for the AF-D, it's been on my hit list for ages and I'll get one after the 70-200. The 35 looks a fine lens too, I'll be going for the f/2 version though otherwise I can kiss goodbye to my marriage :D

:Lol: Typically F2. But 1.4 is very sharp. And that is the big difference between the D and G models. The D is best stopped down to F2 imo. The G is also brighter than the D with better contrast :)

The costa one stands out but I think you should explore the the style in #1.

cant really fault any of these. loving the processing and the costa one is great!

Looks good Ian. It looks like one of those images where there wasn't much colour in it in the first place though. Maybe apply the settings to a more colourful picture :)

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Ryan. I've saved it in my presets titled 'Ryan's Secret Formula'!

Some lovely photos there Ryan! :clap: That lens looks a belter.....shame it says Nikon on it!! ;)

I've just done a quick edit of number 5 to show who is who:

5001589149_b97c66947b_za.jpg

And this is the photo I was taking at the time:

IMG_0257a.jpg

Hope that clears things up a little?! :nuts:

great shots

love #5 , shes lovely !

the processing is superb and credit to you for sharing your secrets

Nice set, Ryan, iq is lovely, the lens looks to be a gem!

Especially like number 4, due to the pp, so a big thanks for sharing the secrets (y)

Thanks for the feedback Nick, Marcus, Mr Gas and David. You're welcome for the LR presets - I hope you enjoy trying it out.

Nick - I wish I was stealthy - I'msually as subtle as a brick!

Marcus - I'd love to tell you how this translates in CS2 but CS4 was my first version of Photoshop. I assume you can do most of it in the ACR part of your software and then do the split toning in the main part of Photoshop - but I don't know for sure as my PP skills are pretty limited.

David - I took a big risk buying the new 85 1.4G as I already had the 85 1.4D model. But I have to say it's probably the best Nikon prime lens I've ever used. Sadly - I think it's very expesive.

Hi Ryan,

Awesome pictures my friend, very impressed and thanks for sharing your secrets with us!

I wish you did a shot by shot comparison between the AF-S and AF-D version of this lens. I know it wouldn't be easy, but I would have loved to see real world results.

Hi Wail,

I hope you are well. The comparison has already been done:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmitrykiyatkin/sets/72157624741528505/with/4952102383/

I have just been dropped in it as a professional wedding photographer this weekend, which I am not. Just like most of us I am an amateur. A friend asked if I would help at his Wife's relatives wedding and she has just told them I am a professional. No pressure there then!

Anyway I have been contemplating buying the 85mm 1.4 AFD lens and went on line this morning to do so. Then spotted this new version. Read enough comments to realise it is very special so have just ordered it for delivery tomorrow.

Judging by your pictures Ryan I have probably made a very good decision.

Regards

Chris

Last edited:
great shots and thanks for sharing the PP technique too. Very gracious.

Chris,

I can see a funny tone in "No pressure there then!" :D; best of luck with the shoot, although I am sure you don't need luck (y).

Thank you for that link; this is a fantastic lens, but from the Flickr link, I can't see much of a difference between the two :shrug:. I think I'll keep mine and happily think of when I can get the 24/1.4 :p

Many many thanks for that PP tip... I've been playing with downloaded presets to try and get a look similar to this.
I just wish more people here would share stuff like this (hello Blinkerz, are you listening?) - it saves so much time and aggro in the long run...

How you liking that 85? Worth the money over the old one or are you still 'justifying' it to yourself?
I know what you mean about the new 35mm as well...hmmm...

its clean crisp images like this that make me want to consider selling my soul to the Nikon devil.

Also did you play with the WB controls for the effect in 4&5? I mean creative adjustments rather than the norm of getting white to look white sorta thing.

Last edited:
My lens, just arrived, cannot wait to have a play later!

Chris

Back