Street Portrait

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
I saw this character in town today, I wished I had my camera on me, then I realised I did. This was shot using my 50mm on full frame so I was prettly close :)

oldman004-1.jpg

What an interesting looking character. Did you ask first or just jump out in front of him? :)

What's with the glowing alien bokeh on the people in the background all about though?

What an interesting looking character. Did you ask first or just jump out in front of him? :)

What's with the glowing alien bokeh on the people in the background all about though?

Jumped out in front of him, well walked.

I think the alien bokeh is too much fill light.

Nice shot, going to be trying a similar thing :)

Check this photostream out - fantastic inspiration.

Also, he looks homeless, offer him some food/money in exchange for the photo rather than just doing it, that way he'll also benefit.

He definatly wasn't homesless. I always give them fags or money for pictures :)

I just checked out those pictures. Do you have any idea of what processing he did on the second one? Id love to produce an image like that!

Last edited:
this is a really great shot, could you tell me what your setting where because I have been trying to get similar shots but cant get the detail.

this is a really great shot, could you tell me what your setting where because I have been trying to get similar shots but cant get the detail.

yeah sure i used my sigma 50mm wide open at 1.4. i bought the detail out in PP using lots sliders including contrast and clarity.

yeah sure i used my sigma 50mm wide open at 1.4. i bought the detail out in PP using lots sliders including contrast and clarity.

thanks i will keep this in mind as i try again..and again...and again:LOL:

Wow, striking photo. Great street portrait. I like it alot (y)

Thanks for the comments, im not very happy with the OOF people though. I managed to clone the left side but struggled with the right. Im not to good with that sort of stuff but would be better if they weren't there.

They do have a odd look to them (probably because of PP), but I like it. It is what it is - street portrait, if you'd clone them out it would be less interesting for me (call me mad, I don't know why :))

He definatly wasn't homesless. I always give them fags or money for pictures :)

I just checked out those pictures. Do you have any idea of what processing he did on the second one? Id love to produce an image like that!

That's cool man. Whiskey always goes down well too (literally) :D

Amazing photo's aren't they! I think he uses selective (layer masked) desaturation and sharpness filters (probably high pass filter). Detail is retained in the highlights so the shadows will be boosted in PP too - make sure the peaks in the histogram are in the final segment.

Did he react in any way to you snapping him so close?

I'm going out in London on Saturday with a mate for my first session on the street, and am not really sure how to go about getting pics without people getting upset.

I'm going out in London on Saturday with a mate for my first session on the street, and am not really sure how to go about getting pics without people getting upset.

He didn't react at all. I can usually judge how people will react pretty well.

Oi, what you doing taking pictures of my wife??? :D

From my experience of street snapping, people tend to be too shocked or confused to question you, but there are some characters who don't like it. Just offer to delete the photographs should they be annoyed.

A good technique is to take a photo but continue to look through the viewfinder after the person has walked out of frame. This way they think you're taking a picture of something behind them.

Another is to use a wide angle lens and don't point it directly at them.

I know those tricks but this guy is making full eye contact and is at point blank range, plus he looks like a character so i figured he'd say something unless you took off straight after.

A good technique is to take a photo but continue to look through the viewfinder after the person has walked out of frame. This way they think you're taking a picture of something behind them.

This strikes me as a brilliant tip! Thanks for sharing! I will try to give it a go on Saturday, if I'm brave enough. :)

also if you do lower the camera, ignore the person and look at what you were meant to be taking pics off, raise camera again and fire off another shot ;)

Fab shot, Luke! Takes balls. Don't think i could do it. I prefer hiding on hills with no bugger about :LOL:

I was around South Bank on Wednesday and snapped away at random people and most people in London don't care. The tourists don't say anything because they think that maybe it's normal and the local (depending on your setup) just presume your a pro from a magazine or something and are happy to smile back usually. Don't take photos of any police though, I took a snap of 2 female officers on push bikes they wheren't too happy that I took their picture and said I should have asked permission. I deleted it, or so they thought...

I LOVE this picture!!!

Awww inspiring! :)

(y)

Razor sharp

What a nice picture

I love the blur in the bacground and the amount of detail in his face

Great shot

Back