Struggling quality wise..

Like what you have done with no1 Great skies

Composition wise the image may have benefited had the animal not been central in the frame.

The first two are both too central. I'm also wondering why you've shot them all in portrait? The 3rd isn't exposed correctly. I like the 4th, it's a nice shot. Would crop some sky though. I only use a kit lens, but I tend to get quite good quality photos with it.

Hmm thanks guys, I'll take the composition comments on board.

I dunno, I just prefer shooting portrait. I always find it alot easier to get a composition I like with portrait... Will make sure I get some landscapes next time I'm out.

I think 1 and 4 work really well. 2 doesn't suit B and W, and I think 3 is way too dark. I don't think any of these 'issues' would be resolved by getting a more expensive lens to be honest.

The first two are both too central.

I disagree, especially with number 1. Having that sheep anywhere else would have killed it. What is it with this obsession with having things off centre? Stupid rule of thirds...

Having that sheep central is a great way of making something small and insignificant have dominance in an image. I think it's a great shot.

The very idea that composition has "rules" that rigidly must be obeyed is just ludicrous. You just end up taking shots that look like everyone else's.

I disagree, especially with number 1. Having that sheep anywhere else would have killed it. What is it with this obsession with having things off centre? Stupid rule of thirds...

Having that sheep central is a great way of making something small and insignificant have dominance in an image. I think it's a great shot.

The very idea that composition has "rules" that rigidly must be obeyed is just ludicrous. You just end up taking shots that look like everyone else's.

Gotta say I totally agree with this. :clap:

Too many people are hung up on 'the rules', and rule of thirds in particular. It suits some shots but most definitely not all. :nono:

Get out there and express your individuality. Unless you have been commissioned by someone, it's YOUR picture, and while you want people to like it, not everyone will.

I would however make one change to the first image. I'd actually crop off a bit of the bottom. I think this will make the sheep dominate the image more and also enhance the features in the sky.

I like the images. On the rule of thirds, it's one of those things that is a good basis for composition as generally it will produce an image that is pleasing. But the rules are there to be challenged and broken.

Maybe you need to ask what you are trying to show in your images?

In image 1 the central point is the sheep (?) towards the bottom third, so it is following an aspect of the "rules", but the sky adds to a sense of foreboding and mood. For me I would crop some sky out as there is a lot of it and it takes away from the central point. Of course you could be shooting the sky as the main subject and the sheep is there for scale. We all see things differently, that's one thing I've learned from entering images into camera club competitions, people will always see it differently from yourself. :bonk:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion (y)

I quite like the composition, perhaps except the last one where I think the sun catches the eye too much. I also like someone breaking the rule of thirds every now and again..!

The lens quality looks fine, and changing to a more expensive one wouldn't change these by a great deal; but the processing could totally transform them. The detail is almost gone in the biker, and in the hills around the water. And the last one would really punch up with a bit of contrast. All can be easily adjusted, and even easier if you shoot in RAW.

Hope that helps.

1 and 2 personally I really like. Is there any way you could lighten the man on the bike, as the only thing I would say is that, to me anyway, he seems a little dark. Again, for me, 3 and 4 lack a focal point.

Last edited:
Really like them especially the first one...

I also like the idea of portrait landscape, I love doing that myself and getting loads of sky in a photo (y)

It seems that 75 percent of my photographs are taken in the vertical format.

I have even been known to rotate a 6x6 film camera by 90 degrees despite the fact that it takes square images!

I think No. 4 would work better as a horizontal image though (or square). Losing the top and the bottom makes an improvement in my opinion.

Steve.

The only one I think lets the side down is number three - pretty enough sky there but looks like it was the camera making the decisions there.

The others are great, 1 and 4 being my favourites - I think these point to having a good eye and that is the single biggest factor in getting results.

Back