Suggest a upgrade canon 40d

To answer a question asked above (post #100) which I didn't see answered. The 1DSII needs EF lenses too, not EF-S.

What focal length do you find yourself using on the 55-250? Because if you need the 250 length, then on a FF, without the crop factor, you would need a 400mm lens to have the same effective reach.

You've probably not been trying to get the shutter speeds in low light as the OP needs, or I needed, for low light photography (hense me getting a 6d amongst other things). The limits of a 5dc 50d or newer xxd are low when shooting indoor sports.

Thats not to say its not doable but its not great.

As far as software is concerned, you can't polish a turd :) Noise reduction will always reduce detail and clarity and if its not there to start with the end result will be pretty poor.

Best sell the lot and buy a Nikon D750 then or used D3s for low noise high iso even with the humble 50mm f1.8 it will out perform anything Canon has to offer ! :)
It does make me wonder how sports photographers ever made a living when they were shooting film or even early digital :thinking:

Last edited:
To answer a question asked above (post #100) which I didn't see answered. The 1DSII needs EF lenses too, not EF-S.

What focal length do you find yourself using on the 55-250? Because if you need the 250 length, then on a FF, without the crop factor, you would need a 400mm lens to have the same effective reach.
Thats a very good point but lets not add crop factor, I don't think the OP needs more to consider ;)

That said, I'd be surprised if she needs more reach than say, a 70-200 for dog shows? (hoping that'll avoid further issues for the OP!)

Best sell the lot and buy a Nikon D750 then or used D3s for low noise high iso even with the humble 50mm f1.8 it will out perform anything Canon has to offer ! :)
It does make me wonder how sports photographers ever made a living when they were shooting film or even early digital :thinking:
Its not about out performing anything and giving the OP the what might be considered the best low light performer there has ever been, its about getting up to an acceptable standard.

Getting her a 5dc or 50d won't improve her situation over what she has (noticeably anyway), will it?

Last edited:
Thats a very good point but lets not add crop factor, I don't think the OP needs more to consider ;)
That said, I'd be surprised if she needs more reach than say, a 70-200 for dog shows? (hoping that'll avoid further issues for the OP!)
I hear what you're saying, but the OP indicates that the 2 primes wold be for the dog shows and she needs a longer lens for everything else.
True , but I don't JUST photograph low light
In fact I rarely do , if I have a 50 1.8 and a 28 2.8 on the 5d. II That should be an improvement on lowlight combined with improving my technique
Hence the point that the crop factor is different and if she's going to drop a decent wodge on camera and lenses, it would be remis of everyone not to mention this fact.

I hear what you're saying, but the OP indicates that the 2 primes wold be for the dog shows and she needs a longer lens for everything else.

Hence the point that the crop factor is different and if she's going to drop a decent wodge on camera and lenses, it would be remis of everyone not to mention this fact.
True, thats where the Canon 70-300 IS might be a good used option.

If she stays with Canon of course and doesn't buy a d750 / 800 ;)

Its not about out performing anything and giving the OP the what might be considered the best low light performer there has ever been, its about getting up to an acceptable standard.

Getting her a 5dc or 50d won't improve her situation over what she has, will it?

No it won't but a faster lens will allow the op to shoot at a lower iso and i never suggested a 5D or 50D I suggested a faster prime instead of another body for the £200 initial budget ?
They have a 55-250mm zoom don't they ?

Last edited:
No it won't but a faster lens will allow the op to shoot at a lower iso and i never suggested a 5D or 50D I suggested a faster prime instead of another body for the £200 initial budget ?
She already has the 50mm f/1.8, and I agree as I had already posted, she could complete the prime holy grail just by adding a 35mm f/2 (mk1 used) and the 85mm f/1.8.

But that still won't get her where she needs to be, which by now no one is sure where that is :/

True, thats where the Canon 70-300 IS might be a good used option.
If she stays with Canon of course and doesn't buy a d750 / 800 ;)
I know that you say that in jest, and her profile states that she's been a nikon shooter, but has swapped to canon and seems to prefer it.
You're probably right that the 6D is the way to go from a canon perspective (the 5D3 is far more expensive and not quite as good at extreme low light), but as the only EF lens she has is the nifty, then would there be a cheaper route from Nikon or even (spit) Sony.
I ask this as a canon shooter, I don't know the other brands, but I have seen impressive image recovery from some nikon raws.

Also a 50mm 1.8. :)

I know that you say that in jest, and her profile states that she's been a nikon shooter, but has swapped to canon and seems to prefer it.
You're probably right that the 6D is the way to go from a canon perspective (the 5D3 is far more expensive and not quite as good at extreme low light), but as the only EF lens she has is the nifty, then would there be a cheaper route from Nikon or even (spit) Sony.
I ask this as a canon shooter, I don't know the other brands, but I have seen impressive image recovery from some nikon raws.
The d750 is still about £400 more than the 6d. But either way, it would involve a decent chunk of cash. But lens wise she can switch easily as I've tried to explain to her, she really hasn't invested in lenses as yet!

Also a 50mm 1.8. :)
Not forgetting the 18-55mm is as well ;)
that being the case i would go for Canons 85mm 1.8 on crop its makes for a reasonable fast short telephoto unless she is shooting dog shows from a long distance of course ;)

The d750 is still about £400 more than the 6d. But either way, it would involve a decent chunk of cash. But lens wise she can switch easily as I've tried to explain to her, she really hasn't invested in lenses as yet!
They have £200 budget not a bottomless pit of money sadly for them!:(

They have £200 budget not a bottomless pit of money sadly for them!:(
Yes indeed, we told her to start saving a couple of pages ago - she simply can't achieve this on her budget unfortunately.

Last edited:
that being the case i would go for Canons 85mm 1.8 on crop its makes for a reasonable fast short telephoto unless she is shooting dog shows from a long distance of course ;)
Have a read back through the thread @Phiggys... GG has a nifty fifty, and is considering an even shorter prime (I think), but she cannot get the triangle to work, even at f1.8 without raising iso to a level that she deems unacceptable from a noise perspective on the 40d. Whilst the 85mm f1/8 is a great lens, it's not going to help.

You seem to be a nikon guy. Are there any cheap nikon bodies that will bridge the gap between a 40d & a 6D?

This might answer a few questions ?
http://www.colda.com/?p=963

Last edited:
It's a cracking lens, however it's far from the answer yo the OPs issue, but I'm not repeating myself, it seems the OP doesn't appreciate my response to the issue.

Have a read back through the thread @Phiggys... GG has a nifty fifty, and is considering an even shorter prime (I think), but she cannot get the triangle to work, even at f1.8 without raising iso to a level that she deems unacceptable from a noise perspective on the 40d. Whilst the 85mm f1/8 is a great lens, it's not going to help.

You seem to be a nikon guy. Are there any cheap nikon bodies that will bridge the gap between a 40d & a 6D?

Fuji S3pro or S5pro ;)

Now wait for the Fuji critics ;)

Last edited:
I've not seen that one, the recovery I've seen has been from an underexposed shot, but the same kind of impressive result.
I've just looked on a certain auction site and S5 Pros start from £350.
It's certainly something that @gothgirl may want to look into. Of course, nikon lenses (I assume that fuji still use nikon mounts) are more expensive than canon ones...

Edited to add. Mind you, I wouldn't want to plan to underexpose every shot and have to recover it in PP !!!

Last edited:
I did this exact jump a while back - I went to a 6D and never looked back! Fantastic purchase! :) Would certainly recommend!

Wot @ £200 where i want one please :banana:

800 E i think not ?:thinking:

a Fuji S5pro

?

Last edited:
I've not seen that one, the recovery I've seen has been from an underexposed shot, but the same kind of impressive result.
It's certainly something that @gothgirl may want to look into. Of course, nikon lenses (I assume that fuji still use nikon mounts) are more expensive than canon ones...

Edited to add. Mind you, I wouldn't want to plan to underexpose every shot and have to recover it in PP !!!
Its a great camera but not sure it'll be a step forward from the OP's 40d. The s5 pro is based on the Nikon d200 which is now nearly a decade old.

I have seen dealers selling for just over a hundred pounds

Thats interesting Tim just checked out LCE used and 2 x S5pro bodies appear to have gone up in price now showing at £199 ?
But we are all digressing from what the OP asked for with a £200 BUDGET for a low noise CanonDslr camera ;)

Last edited:
Its a great camera but not sure it'll be a step forward from the OP's 40d. The s5 pro is based on the Nikon d200 which is now nearly a decade old.
But still can out perform in some areas!

But we are all digressing from what the OP asked for with a £200 BUDGET for a low noise CanonDslr camera ;)

I've read the whole thread and I'm not a Canon shooter so I dont know anything about the cameras mentioned, but if the OP swapped systems, I have a d7000 near her budget in FS which a quick Google tells me is much better with high ISO than the 5d. Ok so she can't use the lenses she has, but a nifty fifty 1.8 can be had for 70-80 second hand which would be a relatively cheap upgrade. What does anybody else think?

Thats interesting Tim just checked out LCE used and 2 x S5pro bodies appear to have gone up in price now showing at £199 ?
.....and we've already explained she's asking the impossible, a long way back in the thread, we explained why and what she would need?

No need to get fixated on the budget issue anymore.

Last edited:
I've read the whole thread and I'm not a Canon shooter so I dont know anything about the cameras mentioned, but if the OP swapped systems, I have a d7000 near her budget in FS which a quick Google tells me is much better with high ISO than the 5d. Ok so she can't use the lenses she has, but a nifty fifty 1.8 can be had for 70-80 second hand which would be a relatively cheap upgrade. What does anybody else think?
It still wouldn't get her anywhere near where she seems to want to be.

We're still realistically talking a marginal upgrade in ISO performance, not the leap she seemed (at least at the start) to need.

Last edited:
.....and we've already explained she's asking the impossible, a long way back in the thread, we explained why and what she would need?

No need to get fixated on the budget issue anymore.
Agree time to :exit:this thread :wave:

Like I said, forget about the budget, we've explained why it can't happen for £200, I don't know why you keep bringing it up? We were simply looking for lower end cost solutions which she acknowledges is over her £200 budget. The 6d was used as an example of what she should be looking at to get the desired high ISO performance, to explain the costs invovled.

Last edited:
But sadly not the questions that are being discussed in this thread.

?

Back