Sun set

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
:thumbsdown:(y)

This is my first time so i would appreciate your comments and advice on the following picture
thank you

DSCF0003.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi Paul & welcome to the forum (y)

Composition-wise it could have done with the sun being a little further to the right and maybe the surfer to the left (rule of thirds) and his silhouette being defined more. The horizon need a little tweak to straighten it and you have a little lens flare at the bottom ... apart from this I quite like it. you have good definition in the clouds, great subject matter and I look forward to more :clap:

For a first attempt I think you've done very well.

I really like the orangey colour tones and there's some lovely detail in the sky. I love the little seagull at the front too.

Compositionally it doesn't quite work for me though.

I know that this isn't the norm for sunset shots, but I wonder if a portrait style crop would work in this instance?
I don't think that the canoeist and the person in the waves to the right of the surfer are adding to the image and I'm finding them a bit distracting which is why I wonder how it would look with them cropped out.
You have a good, strong vertical line from the sun's reflection, so I think that it could work with a portrait crop. It would also give you some flexibility in terms of getting the main figure on a third.

. . . just a thought, and nothing to lose by trying it :shrug:

Thank you for your comments i have now croped it and i think i prefer this one

DSCF0003-1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

First shot works for me.

The suns reflection leads me to the Duck then the surfer then the sky.

Nice warm tones too.

Nice shot (y)

Back