Sunsets and Strobes

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Good to see some examples of use of flash outdoors in this way - I keep tinkering with the idea of learning how to use my flash but never seem to get round to it:)

As regards the actual images number 1 is my favourite the eye contact is great - very envious:)

these are superb. Have an amazing dreamlike quality to them, verging on a bit spooky but in a good way.

The first is cracking, the balance of lighting, processing and perspective is spot on. I would be well happy with these and would love to get this in my next wedding shoot.

What was the editing technique, i take it you gelled the flash too.

The odd thing is im looking at these on 2 uncalibrated monitors one monitor much is darker / warmer than the other, and i really like the darker warmer one.

these are superb. Have an amazing dreamlike quality to them, verging on a bit spooky but in a good way.

The first is cracking, the balance of lighting, processing and perspective is spot on. I would be well happy with these and would love to get this in my next wedding shoot.

What was the editing technique, i take it you gelled the flash too.

The odd thing is im looking at these on 2 uncalibrated monitors one monitor much is darker / warmer than the other, and i really like the darker warmer one.

Thanks Greg - the flash wasn't gelled but I've added a bit of warming filter in PP. All the processing was done using action presets from Totally Rad that I've tweaked a bit to suit my own taste.

Thanks Greg - the flash wasn't gelled but I've added a bit of warming filter in PP. All the processing was done using action presets from Totally Rad that I've tweaked a bit to suit my own taste.

how do you find the acitons from them. I have their replichrome stuff and really like it as a base to then tweak myself. Which ones did you go for as i was thinking of expanding my collection from them. I know some people frown on purchasing presets and actiosn but hey, no point reinventing the wheel if it gets you close to your vision...

I find them ok - I have the tra2 bundle. My favourite actions are by florabella though - I picked up a free trial of their wallflowers set and really like them.

Hi Mike. I did this kind of shot the other week and was surprised at how easy it was especially as i don't really understand the concept of flash a massive amount. You've obviously timed it perfectly with the sunset where i went around 5pm so had more light to deal with.

Looks like you've balanced the ambient and flash really well and #1 is my favourite from this set as the eye contact is super.

Well done mate. :)

I think the 1st is the best picture of your Daughter but I do like the processing of the 2nd one, the pastel colours are great.

Can i ask have you done any brush work on these ?, the first two have a slight halo around your daughter.

As always they are very good, but then i don't think i have seen you produce a bad photo yet.:coat:

Can i ask have you done any brush work on these ?, the first two have a slight halo around your daughter.

As always they are very good, but then i don't think i have seen you produce a bad photo yet.:coat:

Thanks - maybe a little masking of the warming filter - Ill have a look and see if they can be tidied up. Thanks for the feedback.

Really like them all.

The bit that jumps out at me is the OOF distraction in the foreground on shot 2 camera left - if it wasn't for that it would be my fave of the (very good) 3.

S

very nice control of light and DOF really lovely images u should be proud of them !!!

lovely set, great lighting No1 pops for me

Les ;)

Great set. The first is may favourite too. I think the teddy bear adds to it as well.
I also like the processing in the second one as well.

Had the same idea last week. Yet I don’t own a flash so had to manage without. The results are nothing like these, all 3 are fantastic. While the first is what i was going for myself, the second ones processing is fantastic.
I don’t have a clue about flashes, a nudge in the right direction into what your set up was here would be nice.

First is nice but it isn't all balanced light. There's signs of work in post, showing as the halo around your daughter. Sort those and they are fantastic images.

First is nice but it isn't all balanced light. There's signs of work in post, showing as the halo around your daughter. Sort those and they are fantastic images.
Cheers - yeah, I added a warming filter but felt it was too strng on the subject so masked a little out, this has probably caused the halo you're seeing. I'll sort the files I have here.

I don’t have a clue about flashes, a nudge in the right direction into what your set up was here would be nice.

Just a speedlight through a cheap 24" softbox, my wife held the stand up high and over my daughters head so the light would fall downwards rather than straight at her. I tried to get some light on the crops too to emulate the sunlight. Tried with a reflector first but the light wasnt strong enough to bounce anything back. The second shot is through an umbrella from further back, thats why there is less of a focal point to the light. I am very much a beginner with flash too - I have to admit to being a bit trail and error with flash power and distance from the subject. Ideally I'd like to get myself a light meter and be more calculated in my settings, its fine when its just your wife and daughter but anyone else would find me out for the floundering newbie I am lol.

Back