Critique Swallow feeding juv....

Probably works better without the sun TBH, may have caused problems with the white feathers ... nice capture :)

bg - the shade of green is unusual - colour is a negative for me, Phil

bg - the shade of green is unusual - colour is a negative for me, Phil

Bill, I fully appreciate all feedback, critique, comments and I thank you for yours but I don't understand whats unusual about the colour? I've just clicked onto your Flickr, you have a head shot of a Jay, great photo (y) but the bg on that is nearly identical to mine above! :confused: ;)

In any case in a colour editor it is possible to change
that colour for a bluer hue for ex.

I still don't have a shot of these swift creatures! (y)

Nice composition Phil, a lovely leading line from the rocks drawing you into the subject(s).

Great bg to boot (y)

Thanks Wez

Probably works better without the sun TBH, may have caused problems with the white feathers ... nice capture :)

Cheers Roger

In any case in a colour editor it is possible to change
that colour for a bluer hue for ex.

I still don't have a shot of these swift creatures! (y)

Thanks Daniel.......but I'm unsure why I would want to change it, that is the colour of the bg :)

Bill, I fully appreciate all feedback, critique, comments and I thank you for yours but I don't understand whats unusual about the colour? I've just clicked onto your Flickr, you have a head shot of a Jay, great photo (y) but the bg on that is nearly identical to mine above! :confused: ;)

Just looked - I agreed Phil - very similar colour - maybe I just felt that because there is a larger amount it looks a little dominant

Jay_leaf.jpg

Last edited:
but I'm unsure why I would want to change it, that is the colour of the bg

Because sometimes Mother Nature is doing the
very right thing in the most wrong way. One needs
rain and should be happy a hurricane is coming?

The BG your got there is natural. Absolutely so!
Bill has the right to not like it and you have the right
to hold to It.

The point with any art form is you're the darn boss
and you should do as you will. It
happened many
times that I was stuck with a featureless BG of some
questionable hue and I did not hesitate to tune it.

Here, a more blueish hue or tuning the green to a
darker value may be a considerable improvement as
it would be more in harmony with the birds own colour
if it can't be complementary.

It is what it is, I can't see why you would want to change it ... the beauty in the image is what the birds are doing not the background colour ... my 2cents worth :)

the beauty in the image is what the birds are doing not the background colour

Yes, that right as long as the take stays a documentary
but once going for publication… it may not!

Yes, that right as long as the take stays a documentary
but once going for publication… it may not!

Actually when a wildlife shot goes for publication changing what was there/seen can be a cardinal sin! :)

I would not make a big point of it - it was only a personal observation from me

Last edited:
can be a cardinal sin!

I won't let you torture poor me and I will admit
immediately that I am a sinner. Aren't we all? :ROFLMAO:

…for appreciation purposes only…

Swallow%20feeding%20juvenile.jpg

Excellent image.
Just a little adjustment to exposures/crop... I felt it was a bit tight on the right.

Thanks, I'll take a better look when I'm at the monitor (y)

…for appreciation purposes only…

Swallow%20feeding%20juvenile.jpg

And you honestly think the image looks better Daniel? Sorry, but that does nothing for me, at least with the original green field as bg the contrast is stronger.

Its a strange place this birding forum, I'm not looking to have smoke blown up mi arse, but its very easy to see why so many members give up posting!

Thanks, I'll take a better look when I'm at the monitor (y)

And you honestly think the image looks better Daniel? Sorry, but that does nothing for me, at least with the original green field as bg the contrast is stronger.

Its a strange place this birding forum, I'm not looking to have smoke blown up mi arse, but its very easy to see why so many members give up posting!

Phil - I said that the bg colour was negative FOR ME -

In the overall composition - just for me - not for everyone in the world

Phil - I said that the bg colour was negative FOR ME -

In the overall composition - just for me - not for everyone in the world

Bill, the comment above wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and it wasn't just about my image above, it was a general observation but its a fact.

There are certain posters who offer good crit, pointing out both the negatives and positives, not only that, they'll then explain why they think the negatives and try to offer advice to improve, I'd like to think I fall into the latter, if its only to say 'up the shutter speed'

I have no idea why you thought the grass was an unusual colour :confused: again, the bg is more or less SOOC. My last three shots you've posted on you've said something negative about the bg with no reason why, all have been clean and a single colour.

I try to only post shots with clear bg these days, its what I like, but if it had been surrounded by branches, I would have been told the bg was too busy, it needs to be clean!

I'm fairly think skinned so don't take anything that's posted on here personally, at the end of the day its only an opinion but contradicting feedback between threads is definitely confusing!

And you honestly think the image looks better Daniel?

Easy and cool Phil, this was to offer a visual so both sides the
point (and only for appreciation) have something to look at. No
suggestion or comment made! :cool:

Bill, the comment above wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and it wasn't just about my image above, it was a general observation but its a fact.

My last three shots you've posted on you've said something negative about the bg with no reason why, all have been clean and a single colour.

!

Phil, did not realise that I had, maybe you could point them out to me

Phil, did not realise that I had, maybe you could point them out to me

Lets draw a line under it Bill, as I said, I'm not that bothered, the comment wasn't aimed at you and I was surprised you even quoted it and replied. It was only the fact you did I thought I would draw your attention to the disliking of my clear bg's ;)

Edit.....and if you are that bothered, do a quick search :)

Lets draw a line under it Bill, as I said, I'm not that bothered, the comment wasn't aimed at you and I was surprised you even quoted it and replied. It was only the fact you did I thought I would draw your attention to the disliking of my clear bg's ;)

Edit.....and if you are that bothered, do a quick search :)

I did "do a quick search Phil" - but it comes up with all the postings that you have commented on ..... just a long list ... sorry if I offended you with my past comments ... I thought that I was generally complementary regarding your images, but I must be mistaken, I just felt that the bg was a little bright and somewhat dominated the subject too much.

I would have probably toned it down in this instance, but that's just my personal taste

Phil_2.jpg

Last edited:
I would have probably toned it down in this instance

I would personally opt for your toning down solution
as it takes away the "electric" feature of the original
green… and I understand your discomfort as well. (y)

sorry if I offended you with my past comments

You didn't offend me in any way, maybe confused me as to what is acceptable as a 'good bg' :)

You didn't offend me in any way, maybe confused me as to what is acceptable as a 'good bg' :)

what I find Phil with some light is that when you look at the images on your computer there can be a slight colour cast over the image and you see it in the blacks and whites, (blue, green and yellow casts as well as magenta) - maybe that is just the natural light - but it does affect the colours in the subject and when you adjust it back you see a "removal" especially in the blacks and whites in an effort to get towards "pure" blacks and whites

also I like to try to balance all the colours in the image and try to ensure that the subject is more dominant than the bg

I often find Canon colours "different" and can be "negative" to me as sometimes they are too warm as I am used to Nikon, (I realise that you took this shot with the D7200)

But it is purely a matter of taste

and when you see a good image it is easy to sit back and look for the areas that you see as not as pleasing to your eye ...... you take the better parts of the image for granted and just try to comment on where you see "improvements" in your opinion could be made, however slight

Last edited:
When i see a subject (just like Phil as photographed here ,and i do have some of my own) i would be looking for a nice clean background with minimal distractions both to the background ,foreground and any thing else for that matter ...i would delberatley seek out that nice clean background if it was available, i would only concentrate on that area and totaly ignore anything else around me ,knowing that the area i was focusing on was the shot i am looking to achieve ,we are all different ,some like a natural looking shot but to me that is fine ,but on ocassions it a good excuse for not being able to get the nice clean background ,done it myself but not for want of trying .

I see a lovely clean if not bang on background ,as for the green i just see it as a bit overexposed ,and possibly a tad warm ,but thats just me i would just bring it back a touch on the exposure and a touch back on the temp,not saying its right,wrong just how i would like to see the greens ......we could no doubt get a good variation on the shades of green that can be achieved ,but the hard bit is done here a good clean background Phil....not sure about the large rock it neither ruins or enhances the image IMHO as said not to sure on that one ...good eye contact on the adult in a great feeding postion ....

I didn't provide my critique/reasoning with my edit.
The bright BG is (probably) due to backlighting/uneven exposure. In a way, it's (probably) not "accurate" because it's not what you would see being there... your eyes adjust to the different levels and your mind ignores what it's not focused on.

IMO, the "problem" with the BG is that it is very bright/vibrant in contrast with the subject. Contrast is good in that it separates things. But in this case I feel that the BG draws a bit too much attention and makes the subject seem darker/duller. On my computer the subject *is a touch under with the brightest whites at about 235 where I set them at 245 in my edit. There is also a large "dominant" area of BG to the left which makes it feel unbalanced to me. The image also feels a bit oversaturated for my taste.
The contrast to that is one might say my edit looks flatter/duller overall. And by providing more room to the right/top I have moved the birds closer to the center, which some would almost certainly disagree with. I can't say one is right/wrong... just that the edit I provided is about what I would choose to do.

Last edited:
The bright BG is due to backlighting/uneven exposure. In a way, it's not "accurate" because it's not what you would see being there...

How can you possibly know that?

How can you possibly know that?
What, that the scene was unevenly lit? Because I've taken tons of similar images... In this case it looks like the BG was catching the last bit of sun and the birds were in diffused shade. The only way to counter it is with flash.
Or that it's not "accurate?" I've never "seen" a green setting that looked quite like this in person... but I've photographed many.

What, that the scene was unevenly lit? Because I've taken tons of similar images... In this case it looks like the BG was catching the last bit of sun and the birds were in diffused shade. The only way to counter it is with flash.
Or that it's not "accurate?" I've never "seen" a green setting that looked quite like this in person... but I've photographed many.

Honestly you simply cannot know, all you can do is make an educated guess, "it looks like" ... Phil knows what he saw.

Back