Swansea and Neath Ospreys vs. Bristol Rugby. *5K warning*

Edit My Images
Yes
Covered this match in Wales last night. First of all, hard work in that I have had a fair bit of pain in the left side of my back over the last two weeks and not feeling great. Still needs must.

Game took place at the Liberty Stadium, a lovely newish ground with good light, if a little top heavy on the light, dropping off at waist level. In manual @ 1600 I was able to shoot around 1/800th, spot metering off the white, dropping somewhat on the black kits. What I learnt from last nights job is that I need a 400mm 2.8 for modern stadia. The Ospreys staff were very particular about seating and the 300mm 2.8 seemed just too short, still I made it work with some decent 'group stuff'. Saving the pennies for a 400mm - cant work out why Sigma dont cash in and release one.

Met Gavin Henson, nice guy, very handsome and seems to dislike the camera, oddly enough. Best story of the night? Well, the Ospreys Director of Rugby is an ex Welsh Rugby international called Kevin Hopkins. He happened to be my Rugby tutor at School back in 1985-86 before Rugby went pro. Met up in the press room and we were both amazed and remembered each other. Crazy eh? Nice bloke.

Finally, sorry about the copyrights. I want to keep posting here despite the fact I am classed as semi-pro and selling the images. I see so many other snappers who stop using sites like this as they think they have made it and stop sharing what they have learnt on the way, almost like they think they are too good. Enjoy and comments/questions welcome.

UN_PT_BRISvsOSP2112006800x750.jpg

UN_PT_BRISvsOSP2112006800x7503.jpg

UN_PT_BRISvsOSP2112006800x7501.jpg

UN_PT_BRISvsOSP2112006800x7502.jpg

UN_PT_BRISvsOSP2112006800x7507.jpg

UN_PT_BRISvsOSP2112006800x7505.jpg

UN_PT_BRISvsOSP2112006800x7506.jpg

UN_PT_BRISvsOSP2112006800x7504.jpg

4th and third last are crackers Diego, like em. Looks like the Sigmas well up to it too. :)

Actually, looking again it looks like the light wasn't too bad despite you using 1250. How much processing did you give them?

4th and third last are crackers Diego, like em. Looks like the Sigmas well up to it too. :)

Actually, looking again it looks like the light wasn't too bad despite you using 1250. How much processing did you give them?

Thanks. As shot, aside from a slight levels tweak if required.

The Sigma prime really is a great lens and if the sold a 400mm I would buy one. Simple as that....

Thanks for the comments. :)

Great set again Pete, the action shots really convey the power of the game.
3rd from last is a cracker as Dod said.
I for one really appreciate your contribution to the site, I have picked up some tips and hopefuly put them to use.
As ever thanks for sharing.

Yet another great series I've enjoyed looking through. Think I prefer the processing on these. All (except the arse grab shot) seem a bit less contrasty than usual - somehow more 'real'.

Hope your back eases up soon.

Was he grabbing his well you know in that one shot?? Great shots as usual and the lighting looked more forgiving this time but that could be your mastery.

Lovely bunch, nice and clear and full of action, well done Pete.

PS is it intentional that your copyright symbol is an @ instead of a © ?

More of the quality we've come to expect from you. :)

Dont sweat the Copyright. It's a very good idea IMHO.

Excellent stuff once again. It was looking at your rugby shots that inspired me to have a go if I'm honest!

Some great shots there!
I'm an Ospreys fan, I come from that area, and rugby's in the blood!

Great shot of Henson kicking a penalty/conversion!

Oh yeah, just a minor point, and nothing to do with photography, but they are just "The Ospreys" now, there's no "Neath & Swansea" bit anymore!

Back