Sweden by Road not by Air

We had a wood burner in the hide but the not moving about for 7/8hrs for all those days does take its toll. One day we were at -17 but ibelieve it dropped to -20 just at sunrise. The snow is ok if your subject is close but at distance it drains the contrast and plays havoc with the focus. Would i do it again- you bet.

Rich Mark ,thanks for continuing. The banter is cracking,but beyond that the stella images and some words about how they are taken is just so damn informative. Mark especially like your notes on getting the shutter speed for motion blur and Rich some of your thoughts about dof. Sorry, I've been so slow on commenting too much graft please keep going lads, as and when you get time.
The notes about the GSW and the jay straight up I'd have expected the corvid to be more agressive,learnt something there about the birds rather than the picture taking.

Truly a wonderful thread to view. Mark seen as it's only you for the mo,,but really a joint question how are you both processing images ,what tools are you using. The notes on colour temp and thoughts behind them are great as an aside,but I'm also curious on work flow.? I know Rich told me about topaz denioze spelling? Under these conditions was NR important?

Thanks lads one of my favorite threads that i've be lucky to view here very inspiring

take care

Stu

I use Photoshop.. import and first thing is to look at colour temp, i adjust to what i like the look of and try not to bother to much as to what the camera shot in auto mode. Add a little contrast and adjust shadows to look ok.I then open the image fully and start with a curve adjustment then some hue/saturation. If it needs any other adjustments i do these before cropping to what i like, which is often on the 3rds however it depends on the image. I then do a little unsharp mask setting of around 120/0.7/0.1 are normal for me. If happy with the image and it needs some noise reduction then its run through Topaz Denoise which i normally set quite low and re-sharpen if required. I add a watermark only when I'm about to post as that way i know what images i have put on the internet and which i haven't.

Another of the little male bullfinch who visited.Would have liked a little catchlight but with snow cloud it wasn't to be.
Bullfinch by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Stunning again Mark the vibrance of the bird against the grey is just wonderful. Cheers on a very serious level for the concise and damn informative reply that's going to be VERY useful, for me . Oh and a great tip on the logo Mark that's worth me asking the question alone cheers for that little pearl of wisdom

Hmm you nikon guys are cool,it's so weird,who would have thought:D

thanks again

Stu

A couple more great shots Mark, I like the in flight one as the eagles profile is much clearer.

Mark / Richard,

Thanks for a really interesting thread. I'm a bit late to the party to start critiquing individual shots, but it;s bee great discussion, and I love the ideas regarding the PP work.

I'd love to see more if you have them.

Mike

It's an incredible moment Mark, in an amazing thread,sorry little in reply of late time is what it is. The woodpecker shot proceeding this is just stunning I understand the beauty of the background,the frost the detail light and contrast of subject to background is simply stunning. this shot will be a special one for me for a goodly while,you might have posted something similar before if not this image or maybe it was Rich,I don't recollect ,but this picture does seem familiar. Anyway which ever what ever, a completely beautiful capture

Keep them coming please lads

Stu

Back