Swindon

It is a lovely place but I think you could have angled your shot more to the left to pick up the view.

All of the interest is in the middle of the picture, the building, the line of scattered graves and the nearby gravestone. That's all you need in the shot although I would include the conifer to the L of the building and gravestone the the R too and crop the rest away.

Another approach may have been to more prominently included the near gravestone so that you could read the inscription and also feature the building in the background as that's really what will say 'Swindon' to those who know the town.

On second thoughts I'm not sure I would want a month of looking at someone's epitaph though!

It is a lovely place but I think you could have angled your shot more to the left to pick up the view.
Hi Liz, thanks for commenting, the view to the left is obscured by trees.
All of the interest is in the middle of the picture, the building, the line of scattered graves and the nearby gravestone. That's all you need in the shot although I would include the conifer to the L of the building and gravestone the the R too and crop the rest away.

Another approach may have been to more prominently included the near gravestone so that you could read the inscription and also feature the building in the background as that's really what will say 'Swindon' to those who know the town.

On second thoughts I'm not sure I would want a month of looking at someone's epitaph though!
Thanks Tim, Agree regards the crop, but as it's go to be sized for calendar I can't crop without losing the top of the big conifer on the RHS.
It's a tricky situation, and one that perhaps I need to reshoot and see if I can make better.

I like the fact that I'm not a fan of cemetery pictures (as they give me the creeps) but this one looks rather warm and not in any way creepy. The lighting is quite inviting (which is odd for a graveyard). It's an interesting vista point for the David Murray-John building and it's a shame that the view to the left was more obscured by trees, but the composition using the large gravestone and the tall tree on the right acts as a good filler with the smaller headstones in the background working well as leading lines towards the view down the hill. I always thought leading lines worked better as verticals, but this horizontal row actually does the job neatly. Nice job.

Doesn't show much of swindon though, but you do get the David Murrey building.

There's two really good spots for shots over swindon. Junc 15 towards Marlborough up the hill. Either take the road to the left just past the petrol station, or park at Coate water, walk through and you go over the curly bridge over the motorway. Climb the hill and you geta great view from the top.

Or Shaw forest park gives you a view over Swindon to the countryside of the other side
100426072.jpg

I like the fact that I'm not a fan of cemetery pictures (as they give me the creeps) but this one looks rather warm and not in any way creepy. The lighting is quite inviting (which is odd for a graveyard). It's an interesting vista point for the David Murray-John building and it's a shame that the view to the left was more obscured by trees, but the composition using the large gravestone and the tall tree on the right acts as a good filler with the smaller headstones in the background working well as leading lines towards the view down the hill. I always thought leading lines worked better as verticals, but this horizontal row actually does the job neatly. Nice job.
Thanks Damien! :)
Doesn't show much of swindon though, but you do get the David Murrey building.

There's two really good spots for shots over swindon. Junc 15 towards Marlborough up the hill. Either take the road to the left just past the petrol station, or park at Coate water, walk through and you go over the curly bridge over the motorway. Climb the hill and you geta great view from the top.

Or Shaw forest park gives you a view over Swindon to the countryside of the other side
Cheers :) Not been up to the Shaw Forest before. Been up the hill before a few times, good views but hard to get a good photo.

I clicked on this thinking. Jeez. I know he denies himself Scotland and snowdonia so it's harder for him to get good locations and he's now at the depths of dispair shooting Swindon, only to be greeted with a nicely lit image that draws your eye in. Compelling stuff with the contrast of old a new clear to see

I clicked on this thinking. Jeez. I know he denies himself Scotland and snowdonia so it's harder for him to get good locations and he's now at the depths of dispair shooting Swindon, only to be greeted with a nicely lit image that draws your eye in. Compelling stuff with the contrast of old a new clear to see
Haha thanks mate! I don't deny myself these places, I just don't have the time to get to them!

Back