SWPP Convention 2014 or The Photography Show

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Decided that as I did Focus last year I was going to do SWPP this year but as Focus is no longer and has been replaced by The Photography Show am showing signs of confusion as to which to go to!

My reasoning was to alternate between them that way could see differences and so felt it was money well spent making the trip. However, I'm now getting that age old feeling of 'missing out' if I stick with my plan for 2014 of SWPP only. Will the new show be the better one, should I be there as it's the new one?

Just trying to gauge a feeling for how many people may be attending the new one. Can't afford both so that's not an option.

Didn't do SWPP last year so wanted to go to that as new venue (as off 2013), new layout. But can't rid myself of the nagging that is "will the Focus replacement show be the better?"

Any sensible advice gratefully welcomed!

is there a problem with going to both?

I would say that if you are a wedding photographer or portrait photographer - especially if you are looking to jump into newborns with both feet then the SWPP convention is ideal for you. There will be lots and lots of album, print lab, and social photography products - and critically it is early in the season and allows time to get things into your price list/offer for the year.

If you want to see the full range of the big brand camera or lighting companies, care about commercial or maybe editorial photography rather than social then I'd say skip the SWPP and go to the NEC - the talks and companies will be far better and more impressive even though there will be potentially more of a focus on the consumer market than before - there is the added benefit that any new announcements will likely be around the February timeframe and you won't see them at SWPP but you might at the NEC.

I found the SWPP show to be disorganised and cramped last year, and worse in layout than when it was in the Novatel - it peaked as a trade show shortly after moving there from Coventry - and as I now longer have any interest in shooting weddings limited in appeal to me. I didn't do Focus this year - although I did in 2012 - but I'll likely go on one of the weekdays in 2014 to see the new format, catch some of the seminars (Joe McNally always inspiring), and have a good mooch round.

is there a problem with going to both?

Cost & time away. Hence why I'd decided to do only one a year and alternate.

Cheers Mike, agree with what you've said just wondering how much of a consumer show the NEC one will be. Looked at the website and seems a fair few of the main guys from Focus are their. May stick with my original plan and hope the Photography Show does well enough to be on next year. Sure there'll be comments on here from those that went after!

Back