Taking a camera into an EFL stadium

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
No
Hello! I am looking at attending a pre-season game at an EFL ground and was wondering how likely it would be that I can take in my X100F. I'll be travelling by public transport so being able to leave it in a hotel/car isn't an option. I took it yo a game in Germany last week and really enjoyed getting shots around the stadium even if the netting that covers German away ends meant there would have been zero chance of actually photographing the game properly even if they let me walk in with my 100-400.

I'm aware of the general ground rules but it's not clear still what is and isn't allowed in. Anfield as an example has a list of what supporters can and can't bring in, which specifies a compact type camera is fine but a DSLR etc is not; Carrow Road specifically says no cameras at all on their allowed items graphic/list. However, Championiship stadia (the game is in one of these but I checked out several club websites to get an idea) just point you to the generic EFL rules. I don't think anyone's going to remotely assume that I'm turning up there hoping to take photos to sell etc and refuse it on that basis but I want to be sure if I will be limited to just going in with my phone. Any advice or experiences from spectators? Thanks!

(I posted a similar question a while ago on a film photography forum as I wanted to know what speed would work for a match when I wanted to take in something that fitted into a pocket, and an American user said 'can you not chat to one of the photographers at the ground and see if they'll let you shadow them, or get press accreditation from a local paper or something? Someone's got to get sick at some point and you never know when you'll get an in..." which is probably hilarious to those of you who actually get to work pitchside! Maybe at MLS games you can just send them the shots you took on a 00s film compact zoom and they open the gates for you to hang out with Messi, idk.)

Last edited:
I'm aware of the general ground rules but it's not clear still what is and isn't allowed in. Anfield as an example has a list of what supporters can and can't bring in,

Ground rules are the same for all the stadiums. clubs may tweak them when publishing but genrally the same and no recording equipment (photo or video) is the sticking point . its then down to the stewards on the day... most are ignorant but some will stop you taking it in.... it really is that simple... will you get a ground where stewards are lapse about it...

That's why I'm confused given some club websites show small cameras on their "allowed" list, or specify that "large-bodied" or "professional" cameras specifically are prohibited but not whether others are OK. (My day job is basically interpreting terms and conditions and picking holes in the nuances, which is why the discrepancy is throwing me off!)

In theory someone could live-stream the game with a phone these days, I have an image of someone trying to smuggle in a VHS camcorder to make tapes of the game hahaha.

(My day job is basically interpreting terms and conditions and picking holes in the nuances, which is why the discrepancy is throwing me off!)

Oh you will be in your element with the football league then... I have a licence to photo pitchside and I dont understand half of it haha

That's why I'm confused given some club websites show small cameras on their "allowed" list, or specify that "large-bodied" or "professional" cameras specifically are prohibited but not whether others are OK. (My day job is basically interpreting terms and conditions and picking holes in the nuances, which is why the discrepancy is throwing me off!)

In theory someone could live-stream the game with a phone these days, I have an image of someone trying to smuggle in a VHS camcorder to make tapes of the game hahaha.
As someone with no interest in this I would say that if being turned away is a problem just take your phone, if you don’t care one way or another, take your Fuji X100.

I guess people with a pitch side licence like @KIPAX arent doing shots of people in the stadiums (if you mean sort ”street” style or portraits and I don’t know if there’s a different sort of accreditation for that —I doubt, because what in it for the club? :(

As someone with no interest in this I would say that if being turned away is a problem just take your phone, if you don’t care one way or another, take your Fuji X100.

I guess people with a pitch side licence like @KIPAX arent doing shots of people in the stadiums (if you mean sort ”street” style or portraits and I don’t know if there’s a different sort of accreditation for that —I doubt, because what in it for the club? :(

Actually yes we do a lot of that... clubs and even local papers require whole sperate galleries of crowd shots

Saying that.. personally I have no problem with people taking cameras into games.. Its what they do with the pics after that can be a problem but for personal use what the heck :)

Last edited:
Actually yes we do a lot of that... clubs and even local papers require whole sperate galleries of crowd shots

Saying that.. personally I have no problem with people taking cameras into games.. Its what they do with the pics after that can be a problem but for personal use what the heck :)

There, I knew I would be getting it wrong! I agree though that’s it’s all a bit “precious”, in the same class as the fuss about child photography.

I'd really like to try taking proper photos of games just as a way to improve my skills as much as capturing the action, but it's basically closed off to amateurs - as you say people are very nervous about child photography which rules out being able to get started with practice at things like youth games. I really like the street photography type shots you get in the old BT Sport PL game coverage, that's the sort of thing I would like to do as well; I suspect there being accredited, walking round with a visible pass and a camera that reads as official, makes people more at ease, especially if they're with kids.

I'd probably be the first person to have my accreditation removed for asking too many questions about exactly what paragraph X subclause Y means....

Ha, having a look at your website now @KIPAX - you've probably shot at the same stadium I'm considering going to if the nightbus times line up :)

Occassionally, when I have absolutely nothing else to do, I have wondered what would happen if every person attending one of these events showed up with a big SLR and a sign saying "I'm taking pictures to sell".

Would the organisers turn away a stadium full of spectators on a point of principle? :thinking: :naughty:

Occassionally, when I have absolutely nothing else to do, I have wondered what would happen if every person attending one of these events showed up with a big SLR and a sign saying "I'm taking pictures to sell".

Would the organisers turn away a stadium full of spectators on a point of principle? :thinking: :naughty:

In the EPL, EFL, Rugby Premiership and a couple of other sports, definitely. Because the image rights (admittedly mainly video)
massively outweigh the ticket sales in terms of revenue.

There, I knew I would be getting it wrong! I agree though that’s it’s all a bit “precious”, in the same class as the fuss about child photography.

I'm pretty certain that Kipax didn't say that the rules are precious or petty.

In many cases the only was to enforce the use of images (or prevent them) is to ban the equipment used to take them.

I rather wish that more sports took the same approach.

My understanding before knowing about how difficult it is to get accredited (and thinking of it in terms of image rights and copyright) was that it was mainly a case of crowd control - tablets banned because people taking photos with them is irritating for others, long lenses obstructing views for others and/or being big chunks of glass and metal which could potentially injure someone etc.

I have a colleague who hired a 600mm lens specifically to take to F1 as a spectator without any question of it being a potential entry issue, so it seemed a similar thing to not being allowed pyro or glass bottles or anything else that could basically be a hazard. (At the German game I went to rechargeable batteries and power banks weren't allowed, I assume because they can be thrown etc rather than because the Bundesliga 1 want the fans to run out of charge...)

Last edited:
I'd really like to try taking proper photos of games just as a way to improve my skills as much as capturing the action, but it's basically closed off to amateurs -

Go to your local parks on a sunday morning.. lots of amatuer games about.. football is football.. to get used to timing and capturing the action your local grass roots pub teams are as good as any... in fact you gte more crunching tackles than you do at efl... Where are you then ?

for the record.. we where all amatuers once so not a closed shop no :)

A few weeks ago I went to COMIC CON with many interesting Comic characters including Star Wars, Dr Who, Harry Potter and many super heroes plus plenty of photographers. There were several notices stating that this event will attract a lot of photography so, if you do not wish to appear on a photograph, leave now.

I have not visited my local premier RU ground for some time now because they have also banned photography for any camera with an interchangeable lens. A few years ago I discovered that a local Rugby match was being held between England and Wales (under 18) but the standard was very high. I saw a queue where the public were buying entrance tickets but headed for the main entrance carrying my DSLR with long lens and a badge I normally carry because it looks official. I was not trying to avoid paying but was immediately directed to the press area and got some good shots; just for personal use.

Dave

I saw a queue where the public were buying entrance tickets but headed for the main entrance carrying my DSLR with long lens and a badge I normally carry because it looks official. I was not trying to avoid paying but was immediately directed to the press area and got some good shots; just for personal use.

Dave

And yet you did.

This is the reason that restrictions exist.

I'm in South London, my main concern is having people come up to me and ask why I'm taking photos of them in the park, hence having a think if there's a more organised way to do it. I tend to stick to birds as they don't mind if you're being nosy!

I know someone who works for a League One club and sometimes plays himself in his spare time, so maybe he'll know of something lower level going on where they're not going to be suspicious of a weird older lady hanging round with a camera etc.

Last edited:
I have been tempted to contact my local league two club to ask if I could make some documentary photos - around the outside of the stadium, and inside. I’m not so interested in what’s happening on the pitch.
I reckon they would say yes if I asked. I might be a bit optimistic though.

There are plenty of grass roots level sports of all types which are deserving of better photography than they get or can afford. Many people have used these as stepping stones to fulfil their own personal ambitions (in the same way many players and coaches have...) You may not be shooting household names (although if you're lucky one may become a household name - in which case don't delete their photos), but its the same game, played to the same rules.

If you have a local club, approach them and talk about your idea. They may say no - but they may also say yes. You get some shots for your portfolio, they get some nice shots they can send to the small business that sponsors their kit, or the local firm that provides a minibus at a discounted rate.

If they already have a photographer, don't just undermine him or undercut him, find a way of working together. Professional courtesy works both ways.

Last edited:
So....you basically had a fake press pass? I'm surprised that worked.
I did not have a fake press pass. I often wear a badge for street photography which has my name and Camera Club. For some reason members of the public feel more comfortable if you have a name badge. I offered to pay at the rugby but they refused and insisted that I followed a particular route. I still took all my pictures from the public area. For Rugby they seem mainly concerned that you might profit from images taken but this was not the case.

Dave

I will be going to Castle Coombe racing next weekend and their policy is:-
"The use of photographic, audio and audio-visual equipment is allowed for private non-commercial use only. " It is a great place to take photographs of motor sports. These are the T&C's that our Premier Rugby ground had about 3 seasons ago but no longer.

Dave

Motorsports is lucky in that most spectating doesn't happen in grandstands where use of a camera could easily disrupt other peoples enjoyment. Castle Combe is quite good as mostly the difference between spectator areas and accredited areas are just a few feet apart from each other.

Ground rules are the same for all the stadiums. clubs may tweak them when publishing but genrally the same and no recording equipment (photo or video) is the sticking point . its then down to the stewards on the day... most are ignorant but some will stop you taking it in.... it really is that simple... will you get a ground where stewards are lapse about it...
Huh! So I guess you can't take in your cell phone?

Huh! So I guess you can't take in your cell phone?
17 Mobile telephones and other mobile devices are permitted within the Ground PROVIDED THAT (i) they are used for personal and private use only (which, for the avoidance of doubt and by way of example only, shall not include the capturing, logging, recording, transmitting, playing, issuing, showing, or any other communication of any Material for any commercial purposes); and (ii) no Material that is captured, logged, recorded, transmitted, played, issued, shown or otherwise communicated by a mobile telephone or other mobile device may be published or otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites.

17 Mobile telephones and other mobile devices are permitted within the Ground PROVIDED THAT (i) they are used for personal and private use only (which, for the avoidance of doubt and by way of example only, shall not include the capturing, logging, recording, transmitting, playing, issuing, showing, or any other communication of any Material for any commercial purposes); and (ii) no Material that is captured, logged, recorded, transmitted, played, issued, shown or otherwise communicated by a mobile telephone or other mobile device may be published or otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites.

There are hundreds of match day videos on YouTube showing goals etc, I personally subscribe to two of the uploaders myself.

There are hundreds of match day videos on YouTube showing goals etc, I personally subscribe to two of the uploaders myself.
I suspect it’s unenforceable in practice because of the numbers though it leaves it possible to take action if some instance arises that is particularly harmful to their interests.

I suspect it’s unenforceable in practice because of the numbers though it leaves it possible to take action if some instance arises that is particularly harmful to their interests.
This. YouTubers do sometimes get in trouble if their video starts showing a little too much (or at all) of the actual match.

Back