Taking pictures of Police officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have thought a Police officer could ask you to do anything he wanted he just does not have the authority to require you to do certain things.

No, he has to act within a lawful capacity in the execution of his(her) duties.

question is, how legitimate are digital photos in law anyway as evidence? Seeing how easy it is for anyone to "mess" about using an editing suite to alter them. I understood, but may be wrong, that the police still use the film cameras to prevent this. Maybe someone on here can confirm or deny this is the case ?

Completely legitimate. I spent 20 years in the forensic arena taking photographs of crime scenes and looking for and collecting forensic evidence. All forces use digital photography these days. The original images become the prima-facia main evidence and our exhibited. Exhibited working copies are used in court. If ever the defence challenge that the photographic evidence has been tampered with it can be negated by the original sealed exhibits. In reality it's very easy to tell if the metadata has been changed.

In reality it's very easy to tell if the metadata has been changed.
Well, yes, but what if an image has been tampered with in such a way that the meta data hasn't been changed? What if an image has been doctored in such a way that even Canon's OSK-E3 Original Data Security Kit thinks it's authentic?

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/canon-camera-encryption-cracked/

In the old days I heard it said that the only way to ensure a photo hadn't been altered was to not develop the film. What's the digital equivalent? Take the memory card out of the camera and seal it away without copying the images off it?

Last edited:
No, he has to act within a lawful capacity in the execution of his(her) duties.
I don't see how asking can be unlawful. ACPO make no mention of officers asking only they have no power to have images deleted or confiscated without a court order (England). I could come up to you in the street and ask you to delete pics and you could tell me to naff off. Police could do the same and you could tell them to naff off. Nowt they could do. To ask the question ain't unlawful at all. After all it's a request not a requirement.

I don't see how asking can be unlawful. ACPO make no mention of officers asking only they have no power to have images deleted or confiscated without a court order (England). I could come up to you in the street and ask you to delete pics and you could tell me to naff off. Police could do the same and you could tell them to naff off. Nowt they could do. To ask the question ain't unlawful at all. After all it's a request not a requirement.

Oh yes I see what your saying sure you can ask. No harm in that.

Well, yes, but what if an image has been tampered with in such a way that the meta data hasn't been changed? What if an image has been doctored in such a way that even Canon's OSK-E3 Original Data Security Kit thinks it's authentic?

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/canon-camera-encryption-cracked/

In the old days I heard it said that the only way to ensure a photo hadn't been altered was to not develop the film. What's the digital equivalent? Take the memory card out of the camera and seal it away without copying the images off it?

Believe me, there is some very clever software out there that can detect if a single pixel has been changed.

Oh yes I see what your saying sure you can ask. No harm in that.
Indeed. I've seen it happen. Argument between a biker and a photographer who took a shot of his bike outside a local pub. Police came and asked the tog to delete the pics, which he did to avoid further hassle but he made it clear he didn't have to. Outcome? Everybody happy and informed.

I'd have thought a Police officer could ask you to do anything he wanted he just does not have the authority to require you to do certain things.

He is legally allowed to ask anything, just as the rest of us are. I think he would be likely to get into trouble if he was to ask you to do some things which he has no authority to demand though.

Steve.

He is legally allowed to ask anything, just as the rest of us are. I think he would be likely to get into trouble if he was to ask you to do some things which he has no authority to demand though.

Steve.
You have just contradicted yourself there. If you are asking you're not demanding. That's the whole point.

According to that link if it was proved you are not a terrorist then surely a case against the police for " deformation of character" can be brought let alone wrongful arrest and if touched by a police officer an assault charge can be thrown into the mix
The police are not above the law only there to administer it.
I have to say I have got no trust in the police after what happened with a member of my family who violantly assaulted by thugs and his pal went to hospital with a broken cheek bone , they were camping with permission on private land

The assault was phoned in on a 999 call yet it took 24 hours for the police to respond and then only because of the guy going into hospital. Their answer was " We did not think it serious" . What a shambles by the South Staffordshire police force at the time. no apology in writing or investigation as far as we know either.

What is it said? "give a man a uniform and they think they can do what they like" this is so true with our police, all who are jobs worth people in my opinion

Last edited:
According to that link if it was proved you are not a terrorist then surely a case against the police for " deformation of character" can be brought let alone wrongful arrest and if touched by a police officer an assault charge can be thrown into the mix
I have to say I have got no trust in the police after what happened with a member of my family who violantly assaulted by thugs and his pal went to hospital with a broken cheek bone , they were camping with permission on private land

The assault was phoned in on a 999 call yet it took 24 hours for the police to respond and then only because of the guy going into hospital. Their answer was " We did not think it serious" . What a shambles by the South Staffordshire police force at the time. no apology in writing or investigation as far as we know either.

What is it said? "give a man a uniform and they think they can do what they like" this is so true with our police, all who are jobs worth people in my opinion
What utter ignorance to tar all Police with one brush because of one incident. It beggars belief, absolutely pathetic. I bet I've had more dealings with the Police in my life than most on here and I've met good and bad during that time and even been beaten up too for no reason but I still have a healthy respect for them in general. The majority are pretty decent and do the right things for the right reasons. Your generalisation is blinkered, naive and very shortsighted.

Lol, I've seen loads of police officers posing for camera shots (carnival) so highly doubt it's Illegal. Besides, I think civilians are allowed to photograph or video police officers as they are public servants.

Nikon D5300 | Nikon 18-55MM AF-S | Nikon 50MM AF 1.8D

You have just contradicted yourself there. If you are asking you're not demanding. That's the whole point.

Not at all. There are things which he cannot demand. He might also be in trouble if he were to ask rather than demand it.

Lol, I've seen loads of police officers posing for camera shots (carnival) so highly doubt it's Illegal.

There is no need for doubt when there are facts. It is not illegal.

According to that link if it was proved you are not a terrorist then surely a case against the police for " deformation of character"

I hope no one deforms my character!!

Steve.

Last edited:
question is, how legitimate are digital photos in law anyway as evidence? Seeing how easy it is for anyone to "mess" about using an editing suite to alter them. I understood, but may be wrong, that the police still use the film cameras to prevent this. Maybe someone on here can confirm or deny this is the case ?
They are perfectly legitimate, and used all the time.

Last edited:
I don't have an qualms with any police officers, and I know some are very good at their job. Many even qualify as police men and women, rather than as "officers".

However, my point about my experience at the G20 protest several years ago, was that it was down to amateur photographers (including smart phone videos) to tell the truth, where certain powers in a police force were intent to cover up. In that sort of case, it is the public, with cameras that are acting in the real public interest. I was told NOT to photograph by police officers and by anarchists. I ignored them. So did many others, and as result, the truth came out.

I talked to freelance photographer Mike Preston (photographing for the Guardian). His arm was broken by a police truncheon at the protest. After that incident, he bought a protective helmet - to protect himself from the police.

The point is that although we should be vigilant about terrorism, we should never give the powers that be, the right to take away our freedoms to photograph them or their agents acting badly, and against the public interest.

A few years ago, I was stopped from using a 35mm SLR in a Tube station, under the reasoning that it was to prevent terrorism. No issue, I complied, although I later saw hoards of tourists using cam phones and p&s cameras in another station. But the point is, would a terrorist, planning an attack, really use a whopping big DSLR to gather data, or wouldn't they use a cam phone, or even a small concealed cam?

Last edited:

The last paragraph is a huge generalisation. But off topic either way.

Last edited:

Yup. You are wrong.

One can only go by personal experience which is what I based my remarks on. When a young lad has to go to hospital and have a metal plate inserted in his cheek and the police can't even be bothered to respond to a 999 call, it is a pretty poor show of how police react. As far as I can see all they are good at is catching easy prey- the motorist.
Irrespective of above comments the police are well down in my respect, and no I have never been in any trouble , not even any motoring offence in over 50 years of driving.
Even down to where we lived we never ever saw a community police officer in the area in 21 years, they could not be bothered to get out into the countryside where we lived, or at least we never saw one if there was a community police officer anyway.
I don't even know what this semi police person is or does or even how much authority they have, that is how bad it is, and they can't be bothered even to send out leaflets explaining their job to local house holders.

Also these elected people on £60,000 a year to oversee the police are as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Maybe I should apply I could do with £60,000 for doing nothing.

In my postal area

i-social behaviour 8
Bicycle theft 0
Burglary 0
Criminal damage and arson 2
Drugs 1
Other crime 0
Other theft 1
Possession of weapons 0
Public order 1
Robbery 1
Shoplifting 1
Theft from the person 0
Vehicle crime 2
Violence and sexual offences 12

Not very pro active to stop crime from this official list, just to prove my point

Last edited:
One can only go by personal experience which is what I based my remarks on. When a young lad has to go to hospital and have a metal plate inserted in his cheek and the police can't even be bothered to respond to a 999 call, it is a pretty poor show of how police react. As far asIi can see all they are good at is catching easy prey- the motorist.

So, one bad experience and all coppers are the same and all they're good at is catching motorists. Get a grip that's pish and you know it. Absolutely laughable. I had you down as being a bit more intelligent than that:rolleyes:

One can only go by personal experience which is what I based my remarks on. When a young lad has to go to hospital and have a metal plate inserted in his cheek and the police can't even be bothered to respond to a 999 call, it is a pretty poor show of how police react. As far as I can see all they are good at is catching easy prey- the motorist.
Irrespective of above comments the police are well down in my respect, and no I have never been in any trouble , not even any motoring offence in over 50 years of driving.
Even down to where we lived we never ever saw a community police officer in the area in 21 years, they could not be bothered to get out into the countryside where we lived
I don't even know what this semi police person is or does or even how much authority they have, that is how bad it is, and they can't be bothered even to send out leaflets explaining their job to local house holders
In 50 years of driving and you've never had a ticket? How can you then say "As far as I can see all they are good at is catching easy prey- the motorist" based on personal experience. Unless in 50 years you never broken the speed limit?! That's a huge contradiction.

I'm confused as to why you think community police officers (or do you mean PCSOs who are civilian workers? If so, they've not been around for many years so you certainly wouldn't have seen any 21 , 15 or even 10 years ago) would send out leaflets explaining their job role? That's not really something that happens as an officers role is generally understood.

Anyway, back to your incident - sometimes people get it wrong.

Sounds like the call handler, in this case, got the grading wrong, hense the massively delayed deployment. A civilian call handler.

Regardless of what happened and what didn't happen, that's not really justifying your comments.

Last edited:
So, one bad experience and all coppers are the same and all they're good at is catching motorists. Get a grip that's pish and you know it. Absolutely laughable. I had you down as being a bit more intelligent than that:rolleyes:

Maybe so but I wouldn't trust any of 'em not to drop me in it at the first available opportunity. Certainly no further than I could throw an elephant (which ain't very far, obviously). Years ago it was commonplace for kids to be told 'if you get lost, ask a policeman'. These days I'd much rather my kids cross the road and stay the hell out of their way. That speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Maybe so but I wouldn't trust any of 'em not to drop me in it at the first available opportunity. Certainly no further than I could throw an elephant (which ain't very far).
:rolleyes:

In 50 years of driving and you've never had a ticket? How can you then say "As far as I can see all they are good at is catching easy prey- the motorist" based on personal experience. Unless in 50 years you never broken the speed limit?! That's a huge contradiction.

I'm confused as to why you think community police officers (or do you mean PCSOs who are civilian workers? If so, they've not been around for many years so you certainly wouldn't have seen any 21 , 15 or even 10 years ago) would send out leaflets explaining their job role? That's not really something that happens as an officers role is generally understood.

Anyway, back to your incident - sometimes people get it wrong.

Sounds like the call handler, in this case, got the grading wrong, hense the massively delayed deployment. A civilian call handler.

Regardless of what happened and what didn't happen, that's not really justifying your comments.

I never said that ,read my post , typical of trying to put words into ones mouth that was not said or implied. But I would say yes I have even driven around a roundabout the wrong way for a reason (see below). I would be lying if I said I didn't always keep to speed limits, but who does?

My ex next door neighbour slashed and nearly severed his hand when the ladder he was using to clean an upstairs window slipped and his hand went through it. to the hospital I raced with the car flat out and afterward told that he only had about 4 minutes left before the loss of blood would have killed him. It took 8 hours of surgery and blood tranfusion but his life was saved and although lost a lot of use in the hand the surgeons saved it. They did say that because he had his arm bent and held like that tight helped stopped the flow of blood

Had I not driven like a maniac with lights full on and horn blowing and DRs crossing where the ambulance bay was he would have died without doubt. Oh and if the police were about they would have had to play catchup as I was not going to stop for anyone or anything

And that is a true , when I eventually got home ( I had so much blood on me the DRs thought it was me wanting help) I nearly passed out as I can't stand the sight of blood.

My wife will vouch for this as actually something that happened

Last edited:
Even down to where we lived we never ever saw a community police officer in the area in 21 years, they could not be bothered to get out into the countryside where we lived, or at least we never saw one if there was a community police officer anyway.
I don't even know what this semi police person is or does or even how much authority they have, that is how bad it is, and they can't be bothered even to send out leaflets explaining their job to local house holders.

Also these elected people on £60,000 a year to oversee the police are as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Maybe I should apply I could do with £60,000 for doing nothing.

In my postal area

i-social behaviour 8
Bicycle theft 0
Burglary 0
Criminal damage and arson 2
Drugs 1
Other crime 0
Other theft 1
Possession of weapons 0
Public order 1
Robbery 1
Shoplifting 1
Theft from the person 0
Vehicle crime 2
Violence and sexual offences 12

Not very pro active to stop crime from this official list, just to prove my point
How does this prove your point that "giving someone a uniform makes them power mad (whatever it was you said)"?!

This doesn't prove anything other than there's (relatively low) crime in your area. It has nothing to do with your original and questioned comment.

The police can't stop crime before it happens, although Tom Cruise tried quite well in the movie "Minority Report"...

I never said that ,read my post , typical of trying to put words into ones mouth that was not said or implied
No but, without getting into too much debate about it, you said all they are good for is picking on motorists (after justifying your opinion by saying it's based on experience in your initial paragraph) then saying in the same breath that you've never been in trouble for even a motoring offence in 50 years.

That's what was said, bar exact wording.

If I've misunderstood then I apologise.

Anyway, not all police officers are power hungry bigots, and yes, they'd be happy to pose for a photo :)

Last edited:
I used to get really fed up when our merry bunch of "Keyboard Warriors" would appear in threads for a dose of "Bobby Bashing" but I have had a moment of clarity and realise that I should pity them.

It must be awful for those of you who have no real feeling of self worth, I'm sure I would be angry too.

But I don't have that feeling because I, like thousands of others, have tried to make a difference.

I am not perfect, I have made mistakes. I am proud to have worked as a police officer and would do it all again, even if I had to leave on ill health following an accident that left my crew mate and best friend dead and me in hospital for weeks and still, 16 years later, needing operations to repair the broken bits.

So carry on throwing your pathetic generalisations because I need cheering up.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Http://www.andykeeblephotography.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back